Chance to travel- where would you go?

OMG the whole time I've been posting I thought I was on the Disney cruise line board. It's where I frequently post. I just realized I'm on the Community board. YIKES. This explains everything.

With my husband working overseas I will have the chance to meet him abroad once or twice (maybe 3 times) a year for a vacation. I have only been to Canada outside of the states, so this is very exciting to me. Where would you go? Anywhere you would avoid?
And now to answer the darn question,
We’ll be going to the British Isles in September and that will be a first for me. I loved Italy but haven’t been since my teens. I really want to go on a Baltic capitals cruise with my husband one day. I think it would be a good way to see an overview and then choose from there what we would return to see.
I would only feel safe as a day visitor with a tour guide in St Petersburg at this point.
My family travel all over the world but we all agreed when dd wanted to go with her university roommate to Russia that we weren’t comfortable. It probably would have been ok, but tensions are too high for me to be completely comfortable and that’s not a risk I would let my then 19 year old take. Which stinks.

I didn’t see her answer as uppity at all , I can see why she would be on defense when no one else’s choices were questioned ... as if just because she’s against going to the majority of the Middle East offends people ... shoot .. I sure as heck wouldn’t go to any place in the Middle East right now !
I went on a solo trip to England a few months ago ( have never been ) and chose the location because I felt I would be safe for the most part ( even in Manchester where a attack had occurred) but I would definitely not go to the Middle East... and when people state “ it’s safe and that’s a fact “ well no not really .. like I pointed out ask a Jewish person how safe UAE would be for them .. I don’t feel she should have had to explain WHY she felt that way especially when she did not state it as a “ fact “ .

I'm just not interested in going to any of those places. I'm not sure why you care so much what my reasonings are. Ive always wanted to go to Israel. I don't think I need to justify it to anyone.
I honestly don't consider this post moody and certainly not hostile.

On the cruise boards the safety of certain ports, countries and cities is discussed quite frequently. There are a one or two posters who like to belittle people for being afraid to visit to certain places, but for the most part people can voice their opinions, fears and concerns with out judgement. Traveling to foreign countries can be fun, exciting, stressful and frightening. The more you travel the more comfortable I think you become. There are parts of world that I don't feel comfortable traveling too. No amount of statistics are going to make me want to go there.

I should have said " I have no interest in visiting the middle east, but I've always wanted to go to Israel". Do I feel more comfortable traveling to Israel? Yes. Do I feel like I need to explain why? No Did I ever say it was a fact that Israel is safer then any other middle eastern country? No I did not.

Some people feel unsafe going to Mexico. Do you beat them up over feeling that way. If I feel safer going to Israel then other Middle East countries. Right or wrong I'm entitled to feel that way. I'm not telling other people how to feel or where to travel. Geez just let it go.
Again not hostile.
I really don't want to turn this into a debate thread. I stated which countries I would like to visit and feel safe visiting. If you feel differently thats fine we all have our own opinions.
Again not hostile.

For some reason certain posters want to debate my comfort level visiting the middle east which is odd to say the least. I refuse to go there because it's always a slippery slope when you get into those kind of discussions.

I didn’t see her answer as uppity at all , I can see why she would be on defense when no one else’s choices were questioned ... as if just because she’s against going to the majority of the Middle East offends people ... shoot .. I sure as heck wouldn’t go to any place in the Middle East right now !
I went on a solo trip to England a few months ago ( have never been ) and chose the location because I felt I would be safe for the most part ( even in Manchester where a attack had occurred) but I would definitely not go to the Middle East... and when people state “ it’s safe and that’s a fact “ well no not really .. like I pointed out ask a Jewish person how safe UAE would be for them .. I don’t feel she should have had to explain WHY she felt that way especially when she did not state it as a “ fact “ .
And I guess we see it differently. I’ll be moving past this at this point. :)

And now to answer the darn question,
We’ll be going to the British Isles in September and that will be a first for me. I loved Italy but haven’t been since my teens. I really want to go on a Baltic capitals cruise with my husband one day. I think it would be a good way to see an overview and then choose from there what we would return to see.
I would only feel safe as a day visitor with a tour guide in St Petersburg at this point.
My family travel all over the world but we all agreed when dd wanted to go with her university roommate to Russia that we weren’t comfortable. It probably would have been ok, but tensions are too high for me to be completely comfortable and that’s not a risk I would let my then 19 year old take. Which stinks.

To get this discussion back on topic. I'm planning on booking a Baltic cruise next year. I know the only way you can visit St Petersburg is with a ship sponsored excursion or with a guide. You also have to have a Visa. They won't let you off the ship unless your on a guided tour.

My top of the list was Tuscany and that was where I went when I had the chance to go to Europe. If I were presented with the opportunity to go anywhere my next four destinations would be:

1. France (Provence, Brittany, and Normandy with a short stop in Paris to see some sights).
2. Norway (West coast with Bergen being my base of operations).
3. Australia (West coast as well and during our winter/their summer).
4. Germany (Specifically Bavaria in December because it looks like a great place to be at Christmas time).

To be honest other than contested areas of Europe there isn't a country there I wouldn't like to visit from Estonia down to Greece.

To get this discussion back on topic. I'm planning on booking a Baltic cruise next year. I know the only way you can visit St Petersburg is with a ship sponsored excursion or with a guide. You also have to have a Visa. They won't let you off the ship unless your on a guided tour.

We're doing that this summer - 12 days on RCCL's Navigator of the Seas. Really looking forward to it - so many cities (including St. Petersburg) that we've always wanted to see. :)

We're doing that this summer - 12 days on RCCL's Navigator of the Seas. Really looking forward to it - so many cities (including St. Petersburg) that we've always wanted to see. :)
Sounds great. I would love to do it on DCL, but I think it's going to be cost prohibitive. I have the the transatlanic booked this year on DCL that visits Ireland and Northern Canada. I also have the Quebec cruise booked. I need to decide between the two. I'm considering NCL Getaway next year for the Baltic.

You know, the only reason I question the post about Israel at all is that it struck me that the person literally posted that they had no interest in the Middle East and immediatly followed it with three bucket list countries, one of which was Israel--a middle eastern nation.
I would have found it equally jarring had the person said they had no interest at all in visiting Europe and then listed Austria as a bucket list location.

and then the follow up, the poster brought up safety issues which do not fit facts so I was curious as to why they feel safer in that one particular place. I don'T know why asking the question got so many people up in arms and got such tests responses from that poster---especially the poster who wants to visit Israel, given her now further explanations about how there are lots of discussions about port safety on the board she frequents.

You know, the only reason I question the post about Israel at all is that it struck me that the person literally posted that they had no interest in the Middle East and immediatly followed it with three bucket list countries, one of which was Israel--a middle eastern nation.
I would have found it equally jarring had the person said they had no interest at all in visiting Europe and then listed Austria as a bucket list location.

and then the follow up, the poster brought up safety issues which do not fit facts so I was curious as to why they feel safer in that one particular place. I don'T know why asking the question got so many people up in arms and got such tests responses from that poster---especially the poster who wants to visit Israel, given her now further explanations about how there are lots of discussions about port safety on the board she frequents.[/QUO

My original post was worded badly which led to this whole silly discussion. I stated that I wouldn't like to go to the middle east and then started typing out countries not really thinking that Israel is in the middle east. Also Israel being such a close ally of the US I tend not to think of it in the same way. Right or wrong that is my line of thinking. I never stated anything as a fact I always said it was opinion. You can not like my opinion and that's perfectly fine.

Having a fear of visiting certain places doesn't always fit the facts or the stats. I've heard Europeans state that they are afraid to come to the US because they'll end up in a mass shooting. Some people are afraid to go to Europe because ofhe terrorists attacks. Fears aren't always rational or based on statistical data. We're all more likely to die in a car accident, but none of us are afraid to get in a car.

I got the feeling that a few posters were offended by the fact that I would like to visit Israel and not the other countries in the middle east, but that is something they'll have to sort out for themselves.

My original post was worded badly which led to this whole silly discussion. I stated that I wouldn't like to go to the middle east and then started typing out countries not really thinking that Israel is in the middle east. Also Israel being such a close ally of the US I tend not to think of it in the same way. Right or wrong that is my line of thinking. I never stated anything as a fact I always said it was opinion. You can not like my opinion and that's perfectly fine.

Having a fear of visiting certain places doesn't always fit the facts or the stats. I've heard Europeans state that they are afraid to come to the US because they'll end up in a mass shooting. Some people are afraid to go to Europe because ofhe terrorists attacks. Fears aren't always rational or based on statistical data. We're all more likely to die in a car accident, but none of us are afraid to get in a car.

I got the feeling that a few posters were offended by the fact that I would like to visit Israel and not the other countries in the middle east, but that is something they'll have to sort out for themselves.

Fair enough. I mentioned UAE because it's 100% safe. Tons of tourists from all over the world and excellent service. I've been there (on my own), forgot my wallet and when I went back for it, wallet was still there. Anecdotal evidence but it's enough for me.

Now about your interest in St Petersburg, Ive been twice and loved it. There is actually a ton to do in Spb so I like to fly in and spend 4-5 days there. But if the cruise is your only opportunity to see it, I'd urge you to do whatever it takes to make it happen.

We lived in The Middle East for 5 1/2 years. We lived in Qatar.

We visited, Dubai and Abu Dhabi
Oman
Bahrain
Jordan
Turkey
Morocco
Germany
Scotland
England
Italy
France
South Africa
Japan
Egypt
Canada

And 1 or 2 more that are escaping me! Lol
I never met a vacation I didn’t like....so I enjoyed all of them!
England is a easy place to start. Language is easy, navigation is easy. Italy is special. Been there twice, will definitely return.
Pick a few countries, get some guide books from the library, Frommers and Fodors are my favorites. Then decide on one and away you go!

We did a Baltic cruise on the NCL Getaway last summer. When we cruise, our number one priorities are the ports and timing. We knew we wanted an itinerary that overnighted in St Petersburg. We enjoyed our cruise and all the ports. The weather was a bit of an issue (we cruised late August/early September).

Sounds great. I would love to do it on DCL, but I think it's going to be cost prohibitive. I have the the transatlanic booked this year on DCL that visits Ireland and Northern Canada. I also have the Quebec cruise booked. I need to decide between the two. I'm considering NCL Getaway next year for the Baltic.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I mentioned UAE because it's 100% safe. Tons of tourists from all over the world and excellent service. I've been there (on my own), forgot my wallet and when I went back for it, wallet was still there. Anecdotal evidence but it's enough for me.

Now about your interest in St Petersburg, Ive been twice and loved it. There is actually a ton to do in Spb so I like to fly in and spend 4-5 days there. But if the cruise is your only opportunity to see it, I'd urge you to do whatever it takes to make it happen.
Traveling with teens I find cruising to be the best way to do it. Without teens I'd probably do more land trips. The ships do overnight giving you two full days.
We did a Baltic cruise on the NCL Getaway last summer. When we cruise, our number one priorities are the ports and timing. We knew we wanted an itinerary that overnighted in St Petersburg. We enjoyed our cruise and all the ports. The weather was a bit of an issue (we cruised late August/early September).
This is the ship I'm looking at. Interesting about the weather. The only time I cruised on the Baltic sea was in June coming back from Norway to Copenhagen. I thought I'd been teleported to the Bahamas. I couldn't believe how warm it was that day. I guess I got lucky.

We do find cruising a little easier when traveling with our two teens. They love cruising, but also enjoy our land trips too.

Traveling with teens I find cruising to be the best way to do it. Without teens I'd probably do more land trips. The ships do overnight giving you two full days.

This is the ship I'm looking at. Interesting about the weather. The only time I cruised on the Baltic sea was in June coming back from Norway to Copenhagen. I thought I'd been teleported to the Bahamas. I couldn't believe how warm it was that day. I guess I got lucky.

Our cruise had a few warm days. A lot of days we experienced windy conditions; enough to cause the outdoor activities to shut down. We had to skip Stockholm due to high winds. That was very dissapointing. We loved the ports though and that is, to us, the main reason to cruise. I think we just had bad luck with the weather.

We do find cruising a little easier when traveling with our two teens. They love cruising, but also enjoy our land trips too.

Our cruise had a few warm days. A lot of days we experienced windy conditions; enough to cause the outdoor activities to shut down. We had to skip Stockholm due to high winds. That was very dissapointing. We loved the ports though and that is, to us, the main reason to cruise. I think we just had bad luck with the weather.
What I love about cruising is when we're back on the ship they're back to the teen club..not sitting in a hotel room complaining about being bored. I have teen boys and they eat a lot so unlimited food is also a plus.

Unfortunately with cruising weather can make or break or cruise. I think we've been really lucky because we've done 19 cruises and never missed a port. We're doing a transatlantic this year on DCL, I'm nervous though I keep thinking at some point our luck will run out. Hopefully not on this cruise. A Transatlantic in bad weather doesn't sound fun.

With my husband working overseas I will have the chance to meet him abroad once or twice (maybe 3 times) a year for a vacation. I have only been to Canada outside of the states, so this is very exciting to me. Where would you go? Anywhere you would avoid?

Just saw this -- great thread. We had a bucket list and have managed to really make a dent in it (especially completing all 50 states), but as you get older you realize that you have neither the time nor money to do it all ;) If we could afford it, my number one trips would be Japan, Australia and New Zealand. But alas, they are all too far for us right now. On the short list, we are doing Cuba next year so that removed number one, but are trying to get in trips to the Scandinavian countries, especially Norway and Iceland. I would love to do a tour of Spain and go back to Barcelona. And I'd really love to make it to Venice and Paris.

I always hear Croatia mentioned from avid travelers, so that’s where I would go. Scotland and Germany are on my next list, as is Thailand. I loved Greece, Turkey, England and Italy, so I can personally vouch for them. I know parts of Turkey are unstable, however. What a great opportunity! Let us know where you go!

I always hear Croatia mentioned from avid travelers, so that’s where I would go. Scotland and Germany are on my next list, as is Thailand. I loved Greece, Turkey, England and Italy, so I can personally vouch for them. I know parts of Turkey are unstable, however. What a great opportunity! Let us know where you go!

You will love Scotland. We did a British Isles cruise in 2015 which included ports in Ireland and Scotland and knocked off three countries -- wonderful experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter