CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK! Fun 2019 WDW Restaurant Tournament Bracket

High TripAdvisor ranking as of this past Sunday and fell in the 9-12 group of all the WDW restaurants. I was a bit surprised too but they are in Disney Springs. I think it's actually the highest ranking Starbucks in all of Orlando. I guess not a bad resume for being a #3 seed.

You sound just exactly like the NCAA committe chairman! Is that you Bernard?

What fun! I had to vote. There were a few I had not eaten at that were surprising and some match ups I felt I needed to argue about ... so pretty realistic. Like others have mentioned ... STARBUCKS!!??

Week 1 Update

This year’s tournament will pit many well-known Disney restaurants and fan favorites against each other to see who can take the 2019 crown of dining at Disney World. Of the 64 bids, 24 are from the WDW theme parks (including a leading 14 from Epcot), another 10 are from Disney Springs, and the remaining 30 bids are from dining establishments at the various Disney World resorts. Disney’s Grand Floridian takes the lead among the resorts with six bids, including snagging the overall #1 seed in upscale Victoria and Albert’s as the highest ranked restaurant at Disney World.

Let’s take a look at some of the more interesting matchups in the first round.

(2) Sanaa vs. (15) Ohana [Mickey’s Region]

As two of Disney World’s more exotic dining locations in this year’s tournament, (2) Sanaa, one of the three bids this year from Animal Kingdom Lodge, prides itself on an environment where African cooking, tandoori chicken, and coriander chutney meet expansive views of giraffes and other roaming animals of Lodge. Animal Kingdom Lodge is home to some of Disney World’s highly rated dining establishments in this year’s tournament, including (1) Jiko (in the Goofy Region of the bracket), a more upscale and fine-dining option. If you care for something to satisfy your Hawaiian cravings, (15) Ohana at the Polynesian can cater to your needs in a glorious mix of speed and festive creativity. Many also rave about Ohana’s breakfast. Which exotic experience will come out on top? Is there a volcanic upset in the works?

(1) La Cava del Tequila vs. (16) Le Cellier [Pluto’s Region]

Two of the 14 bids in this year’s tournament are in Epcot, including several from World Showcase, such as the 1-16 Epcot pairing of Mexico’s (1) La Cava del Tequila and Canada’s (16) Le Cellier. Can’t travel to Mexico but love tequila? Le Cava del Tequila is a must do for you (but please, don’t try all the tequila at once!). If you’re feeling more Canadian (eh) or just want to go to the Canadian pavilion as a psychological way to beat the Florida heat, many have commented that Le Cellier serves the best steak at Epcot. Look to Canada for the potential of a monumental first round upset. Which is more important to our voters, the need for a drink or the need for a steak?

(6) Tutto Gusto vs. (11) Artist Point [Mickey’s Region]

Are you waiting to meet Snow White, or are you needing a long break from her emotional dwarfs? This matchup features opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to dining, as you can try several different Italian wines in the cozy and hidden (6) Tutto Gusto at the Italian pavilion at Epcot, or you can head off to the Enchanted Forest at Wilderness Lodge to eat Brother’s Grimm Roasted Chicken and have a “poison” apple for dessert on the heavy wooden tables at (11) Artist Point. Cocktails are also available at this #11 seeded Disney favorite (if you still need one and can’t escape to Epcot…).

(5) Boma vs. (12) Wave…of American Flavors [Goofy’s Region]

Lots of tasty flavors in this matchup, as (5) Boma Flavors of Africa, another Animal Kingdom Lodge bid, tests their vibrant, diverse, and delectable buffet against (12) The Wave…of American Flavors, one of three bids this year from the Contemporary Resort. While many have commented on the amazing breakfasts at Boma, reviews have been more inconsistent at Contemporary’s popular restaurant which likely explains the lower seeding compared to Boma. Which wave of flavors will win this round and potentially face a stronger Contemporary contender in (4) California Grill in the next matchup?

(3) Starbucks vs. (14) Nine Dragons [Minnie’s Region]

In an unexpected pairing, we have a head-to-head matchup of two pricey places to eat and drink: (3) Starbucks at Disney Springs Marketplace and China’s (14) Nine Dragons at Epcot. Starbucks is popular, well-known, and some would even say a necessity to have the energy to stay awake from dawn to dusk at Disney World, but is it deserving of such a high seed, especially against the Kung Pao Chicken and tasty spring rolls of Nine Dragons? To win Minnie’s Epcot heavy region, the pricey coffee or the tasty Asian food may have to compete against several other strong Epcot contenders if they get far enough, including (4) Monsieur Paul, (7) Teppan Edo, (10) Restaurant Marrakesh, or (15) Biergarten. It’s debatable whether Starbucks will have the caffeine or sugar to last that long. In any case, sleep deprived voters will state their case in this curious first round matchup.

(5) Cape May Café vs. (12) Crew’s Cup Lounge [Minnie’s Region]

The only Yacht and Beach Club entries this year face head to head in Minnie’s Region the first round. Unlimited seafood, clams, shrimp, and a very appealing Character breakfast await hungry diners at (5) Cape May Café at the Beach Club. While expensive, many have made it a point to eat at this New England style buffet during their trip and have noted it can be of good value if you want a large seafood feast (especially with only needing to use one Disney Dining Plan credit). If you want a quieter and less gluttonous experience, you can order the savory baked cheese dip at (12) Crew’s Cup Lounge within the Yacht Club. But the question for this tournament is can a cozy lounge at the Yacht Club upend all-you-can-eat crab legs?

(6) Garden Grill vs. (11) Grand Floridian Café [Pluto’s Region]

Another Epcot family staple meets Florida elegance in this matchup of two Disney favorites for two very different reasons. Families and kids love meeting Disney characters at Epcot’s rotating (6) Garden Grill, while adults fancy the elegance, endless charm, and relaxed atmosphere of the (11) Grand Floridian Café (one of six Grand Floridian bids this year). Some of the best deserts are found at this Grand Floridian staple. Will Garden Grill do circles around Grand Floridian Café’s charm and beauty? Should Grand Floridian Café manage to win against Garden Grill, another Grand Floridian contender, (3) Narcoossee’s, may provide a much tougher challenge in the next round if the sole Saratoga Springs entry (14) Turf Club takes a bow out of the first matchup.

(7) Flying Fish vs. (10) Liberty Tree Tavern [Mickey’s Region]

A tad bit more upscale than Cape May Café, (7) Flying Fish at the Boardwalk earned a surprisingly lower seed to other seafood restaurants even with its more sophisticated signature seafood dining experience (compared, for example, to a #5 seed all you can eat seafood extravaganza at Cape May Café). Seafood is vastly opposite to the more American fare you would find at popular and family favorite (10) Liberty Tree Tavern with its renowned colonial theme and quick paced service. Families find comfort here with classic dishes such as turkey, pot roast, mashed potatoes, and veggies family style in the heart of Liberty Square at Magic Kingdom. How far either of these contenders go will depend on whether the winner of this matchup can get past the exotic experiences of (2) Sanaa or (15) Ohana in the second round.

Fun!

But I do think it's unfair to pair lounges against actual restaurants. I guess we'll see who wins out. Maybe next year one for lounges and one for restaurants.

Week 1 Update

(5) Cape May Café vs. (12) Crew’s Cup Lounge [Minnie’s Region]

The only Yacht and Beach Club entries this year face head to head in Minnie’s Region the first round. Unlimited seafood, clams, shrimp, and a very appealing Character breakfast await hungry diners at (5) Cape May Café at the Beach Club. While expensive, many have made it a point to eat at this New England style buffet during their trip and have noted it can be of good value if you want a large seafood feast (especially with only needing to use one Disney Dining Plan credit). If you want a quieter and less gluttonous experience, you can order the savory baked cheese dip at (12) Crew’s Cup Lounge within the Yacht Club. But the question for this tournament is can a cozy lounge at the Yacht Club upend all-you-can-eat crab legs?

Ooh...not doing seafood, I was basing Cape May on Character Breakfast. Those experiences are so different it should almost be 2 separate entries for the meals. 'Ohana as well.

Fun!

But I do think it's unfair to pair lounges against actual restaurants. I guess we'll see who wins out. Maybe next year one for lounges and one for restaurants.

A good point and noted for next year. I’m curious as well to see how the results shake out. Thanks for the feedback!

WOW....you bring Disney fanatic to a whole other level!! Thank you so much for this. Super fun!

Had to laugh at Starbucks vs Nine Dragons!!! Come on... !!! 9 Dragons isnt THAT bad!

Also hated seeing Chefs de France up against Cali Grill. They should both make it out of round 1.

Congratulations to our Round 1 winners! There were several notable upsets in Round 1, including the dumping of (1) Jiko for (16) Sci Fi Dine-In Theater. In fact, both of this year's DHS entries (including (10) 50's Prime Time Cafe) survived as lower seeds.

Here are your Round 2 matchups. Several great ones in this round! Make sure to vote for your favorites, as voting closes this Sunday!

Mickey's Region: https://www.polltab.com/bracket-poll/X90Zkb1q4
(1) Victoria and Alberts vs. (8) Raglan Road
(5) Trader Sam's vs. (13) Trattoria al Forno
(3) Yak and Yeti vs. (11) Artist Point
(10) Liberty Tree Tavern vs. (15) Ohana

Minnie's Region: https://www.polltab.com/bracket-poll/Wm4tZlHYO
(8) Olivia's Cafe vs. (16) Crystal Palace
(4) Monsieur Paul vs. (5) Cape May Cafe
(11) Geyser Point vs. (14) Nine Dragons
(7) Teppan Edo vs. (15) Biergarten

Goofy's Region: https://www.polltab.com/bracket-poll/k8saFO33z
(9) 1900 Park Fare vs. (16) Sci Fi Dine-In Theater
(4) California Grill vs. (5) Boma
(6) Cape Town Lounge vs. (14) Tusker House
(7) Spice Road Table vs. (15) Jungle Skipper Canteen

Pluto's Region: https://www.polltab.com/bracket-poll/-19bcXpXp
(9) Rose and Crown vs. (16) Le Cellier
(4) Citricos vs. (12) Tutto Italia
(3) Narcoossee's vs. (6) Garden Grill
(2) Homecomin' vs. (10) 50's Prime Time Cafe

Last edited:
DH and I did the round 2 voting, our 2 DDs both got in on it this time around too :goodvibes. DH wanted me to point out that there was a lot of upsets in round 1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!