Challenges using Air Miles Flight Vouchers

ElCray

DIS Veteran
I thought I would share my experience of trying to use my vouchers from a cancelled Air Canada flight that was booked with Air Miles.

My husband has to get to Calgary asap because of a family emergency. I looked online and there were Air Canada flights available for 2,219 Air Miles + $80. The cash price of the same flight was $2,000 because Air Canada had only business fare left.

I called Air Miles to claim the voucher. We got partway through the booking when the agent advised me that my husband should change the flight because the difference in price was enormous. I asked what she meant, because I was looking right at the Air Miles website and the price was 2,219 Air Miles + $80.

The agent said she couldn't book me at the website rate. The only way she could book me was converting the cash price of the flight on the Air Canada website to Air Miles at the standard conversion rate.

That is NOT what I was expecting. I ended up just booking a new flight with Air Miles rather than using the voucher.

Word to the wise... To use the voucher you're advised to book way out, taking advantage of any sale they have, because they will be selling the flight to you for the cash price in Air Miles equivalent, and NOT the Air Miles price advertised on the Air Miles flight booking engine.

Edit: Oh yes, one more thing. Even though the vouchers are transferable, you can't use more than one to pay for a flight.

Last edited:
They look at the current cash price for the ticket on the Air Canada website, and convert that price to Air Miles.

It's likely at a rate of 95 Air Miles to $10. That would make a $500 ticket cost 4,750 Air Miles.

But I didn't get that far in my booking, so can't confirm the cash/Air Miles exchange rate they were going to use. Once I understood that they couldn't use the Air Miles price on the website, I bailed on using the voucher.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!