Chalk rubbing off?

sconnell

DIS Veteran
Scrapbookers, when using chalk, how do you keep it from rubbing off? Is there a product that you spray on? I remember spraying hairspray on projects when I was a kid, but I don't think that will work. :rotfl:

I think it partly depends on the chalk. I have Chalklets, which hardly leaves much color and crumbles too easily, and fades away too easily (can you tell I want some new chalk??)

The "Decorating Chalks" seem to work well. I have not tried i-kandee yet but intend to order some soon.

As far as spray, I guess you could try some matte finish sealer? Maybe?

I have wondered the same thing myself. I asked someone (I am new to scrapbooking) and the response was basically "it doesn't really rub off". I'm not sure I like that answer :P

I know from doing some charcoal drawings that there is spray that you can get from art stores that "fixes" the drawing so it wont rub or smear. It is made for charcoal/chauk on paper so I would think it would work for scrapbooking; however, I am not sure about it's acid content. I would think it would be safe since it is designed for artwork. I hadn't thought about it until you said something about hairspray... I have a can of it at home I will have to look at it.

I remember from art classes in high school and college, there is some sort of spray to put on chalk, but I can't remember what it is called. Any art or craft store shoud be able to help you find it though. Good luck!

There is a fixative spray that can be used on chalk drawings...darned if I can't think of the name of it, either. I work @ Michaels and do a lot of the in-store demos at my store, and even used this spray in one of them.....darn it. :blush:

Sorry for the lack of info. I can tell you it's carried in the store back by the adhesives & spray paint. If you haven't gotten a definite answer before the next time I work, I'll check on it and report back. :)

I use 2 sets- I have the Pebbles EyeCandy Pastel Set and some no-name set with 16 square chalks in primary colors in a clear case and I have no complaints about either set and Ive never noticed them rubbing off

I *really* want to get the Iradescent/Pearlized Pebbles Chalk set.. Maybe thats what I'll use my 10 dollars off coupon for....

-em

sconnell said:
That's great. Is it safe for scrapbooking?

I'm not 100% sure but I'd assume so, only because the demo on which I used it was a scrapbook page layout. I'll double-check & let you know, though.

Just to be on the safe side, I usually "burnish" mine by placing a piece of white paper (like copy paper) over the area I have chalked. Then I rub all over the area that I chalked (rubbing my fingers over the white paper). In doing so, the pressure sets the chalk and the white paper absorbs any residue that may come off.

More often than not, the white paper comes off clean, but there are times where it does have some chalk residue on it, so I continue to do it.

Hope this helps (and makes sense),
Carol

the chalk that i use is practically 20 years old.. i guess it's so old it won't rub off, but it still works...

I use Stampin' Up chalk and that doesn't seem to rub off. I'm addicted to all that stuff! :cool1:

I usually "burnish" mine by placing a piece of white paper (like copy paper) over the area I have chalked. Then I rub all over the area that I chalked (rubbing my fingers over the white paper). In doing so, the pressure sets the chalk and the white paper absorbs any residue that may come off.

I have done this too. When I starated to use chalks I read about doing this on a website, that I can't find right now. Most of the time there isn't any residue.

PeterPan said:
I the response was basically "it doesn't really rub off". I'm not sure I like that answer :P

That's what I was going to say ;) , I never had that problem, but I don't handle it much after I chalk either . . . :confused3

I gave up waiting to go back to work and just poked around online and, IIRC, this was the stuff they had me use when I did the chalked scrapbook page. I tried the first one w/o using it and the chalk smudged all over the place; after spraying with the fixatif, there was a HUGE difference.

Krylon Workable Fixatif

Should you decide to try it, Michaels carries it back w/ the other spray paint, usually right down toward the very bottom of the display. (Sorry...I spend WAY too much time in that aisle, usually checking out the Sculpey, though. :goodvibes )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter