Cell Service

Kpercyman

Earning My Ears
I applied for a job and the closing date is when we are at sea coming back to Galveston. Unless you turn on airplane mode will your phone ring? Also, I have Verizon how much are the charges?

I have never had to worry about this before and tried reading the FAQ and was confused as to how it actually works.

I decided to wait it out. The cost risk is just too high. Airplane mode for the entire trip!

Have you checked what Verizon charges at the ports you're going to visit? If that's reasonable you could take it out of airplane mode when onshore. Also see if your phone supports WiFi calling, if it does when onshore try to find a WiFi hot spot and see if you have any voice mails.

with Verizon you can activate their TravelPass option for your phone

with this you can activate your phone for International use if/when needed for a 24 hour period for $5 just by making or receiving a call.

If you don't use it, you pay nothing. But it is there if you decide you need it. I'd NOT use this on the ship, but in most ports you'd be fine. Worked well for DW in Norway when bags got lost on a connection. She activated and airline was able to call an tell her it was found and on the way, without needed to sit around waiting and not knowing.

Minutes come from your 'regular' plan ....

check the website, all you need do to activate is text them a code and POOF you got it.

We have Verizon and went on a cruise around 2 months ago.

We did use their travel plan thing, since they technically don't have a cruise plan available for the Disney cruises. Ours was $10 for 24 hours if used, which would basically give us the same type of plan that we have already no matter where we were. We were on a 4-night so we stopped at Nassau and Castaway Cay and had 1 sea day. Both Castaway Cay and Nassau were the $10 ones, which not everyone in my family used, you only get charged depending on how many people actually activate it, if you're traveling with other people in your party who are also on your phone plan.

My dad did call ahead and see and had them activate it for our phones, so we all got the text message before we left about how it worked or whatever. But it was basically when you turned airplane mode off in port it automatically activated the service and it was good for 24 hours with it reactivating itself after that 24 hour mark for an additional 24 hours. The plan doesn't work when you're out at sea, obviously, as you have no cell reception. We didn't really try to see if it did, though, because we figured that there was no point and we weren't entirely sure about the whole roaming thing. We did leave our phones not on airplane mode as we began to pull out from the docks once and I believe we ultimately lost it but didn't try to turn it on in the middle of the ocean.

As for our day at sea, we bought the Wi-Fi package, well my 2 sisters did, and they let us use theirs just for the purpose of us sending Snapchats and not losing streaks, we're a Snapchat family lol (even my parents have one). They actually bought it the very first day we were on the cruise and just tried to ration their time using it each day.

You do get the free 50MB the first day, as long as you sign up by the designated time written on the Navigator. I think it's midnight of the first night? My sisters just felt that they would need more than that, we were split into 2 staterooms, so they each bought the 1GB Wi-Fi package with my youngest sister ending with less than 100MB left and my other sister ending with probably around 200MB.

Travel Pass does not work while at sea, only on the international ports.

With Cellular at Sea, you can make/receive cellular calls, but note it is expensive - $2.99 a minute.

You can also pay for the cruise's Wifi plan. With newer phones, you can enable WiFi Calling. As long as you have an active wifi connection, cell calls would be routed via WiFi to the cell towers.

I have AT&T and used a cellular package through them on our cruise this summer. It gave me something like 50 mins of phone calls for a set fee only while at sea. Worked great, even in the North Sea. I used this on top of the $10/day texting/internet thing at our ports (which worked everywhere but Iceland).

Thanks everyone! I am going to change my voicemail and put an out of office supply. Verizon charges 10 dollars a day. It’s not worth the cost for a what if since it’s only one day before we come back. Going to unplug for a week.

Thanks everyone! I am going to change my voicemail and put an out of office supply. Verizon charges 10 dollars a day. It’s not worth the cost for a what if since it’s only one day before we come back. Going to unplug for a week.

That's by far the better option, if you can do it. I needed to check on my DM, so it was worth the cost to me. If it was for something work related, LOL, no way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!