Cell Phone Question

firebrand

Earning My Ears
We need to commicate within and between parks so we are planning the use cell phones but don't want to pay high roaming fees. Our cell phones are on a family plan (Verizon) that has free calling between phones and free long-distance. My question is that if we use these phones in the parks, Wil we be charged roaming even though calling between phones is always free? We're not sure if the roaming fee is separate or waivered or charged no matter what. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Jacalyn

This would be an excellent question for Verizon. I would call their customer service number and find out.
As to using the phones in the parks and resorts, the signal is very weak, not sure if they are blocking it or have just not allowed towers to be built on their property.

Check with your carrier. A lot will depend on the exact plan you have, and if there is/is not one of "their" towers you will be using, etc.

You have to call Verizon, every time they have a different promotion fees for L/D and roaming change. The current plans would require you to pay for roaming and out of area LD.
Disney is OK for cell coverage for outgoing calls but not incoming. Frequently you'll have a low signal but if you move to a different part of the pool or move out of a building you'll get enough signal to make a call.

We have verizon--it is ONLY FREE within your own calling area I think unless you both have unlimited nation-wide long distance. My hubby does but I do not and it is not free if he is in another state and I call him--found that out the hard way! But all plans are different--good luck!

Two of the cells have unlimited nationwide long distance, but the other doesn't because it was added to the plan after the promotion ended. All phones do, however, have unlimted free calling between them, but I wasn't sure if roaming was entirely separate. I think I'll just give Verizon a call. Thanks a lot.
Jacalyn

I am pretty sure that roaming is extra. Also, the calls do take away from your free minutes

I called Verizon's service number. To my understanding, we will have to pay roaming charges, but that will be the only charges billed between phones.
jacalyn

I am from PA and have Verizon as well. My husband and I took our phones to WDW on our last trip just to be able to keep in touch and we had no service at all! We checked in many areas and still no service. Bring the phones with you but you might want to check into the 2 way radios.

I work for Verizon. Call the customer service number for Verizon Wireless. Everyone has different plans with different fees, so you really need an employee to check it out for you. Like someone else said though, I don't what type of signal you will be able to get in the parks. I would buy a couple of two-way radios just in case. Don't open up the package, and if you don't use them return them to the store after the end of your trip. Hope this helps.

You had better check because my roaming charges for our last trip were 70.00 and we didn't abuse our usage. Just a call or 2 each day.

Even though we were assured by Voicestream that our phone would work in Disney and that all of Florida is free for us the phones would NOT work in any Disney park nor in the Resort apparently due to interferrence. I kept getting No Service Available. Basically our cell phones were useless. We finally ended up getting the FRS radio's with the subchannels and they work remarkably well everywhere. The only reason we even bring our cell phones is in case the car breaks down on the trip up or back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter