Celebrating 20 years at WDW - Bonus features, A few posts from May, Updated 9/11

Totally just a lurker on your trip reports, but I had to jump in and say your pictures of Main Street are absolutely beautiful!

It's the new millennia. Everyone's on a diet.

Not me. I gave up. I just only eat when I'm hungry.

:laughing: oh, okay.

I'll leave it to you to denigrate me.

Yeah, cause you know how much I do that.

:lmao: Shows how observant I was!

You were probably just in awe of everything going on. Plus it was dark.

Nope. That's my goal. Spend the entire ride looking straight up.

Whatever floats your boat. :confused3

Got your hands up. Counts.

OK. I'll take it!

WOW! That's a very early time of the morning.

And you know how I am about early rising!

YAY. I love when Disney does awesome things like this.

They do it so well, too.

I'm so glad that you did. I would hope to see more future events like this. :teeth:

That's one heck of an experience and a super special event. How amazing to have the chance to see pirates with the lights on. Thanks for sharing.
Breakfast looks great!

I wish they offered more things like this and that they weren't so stressful to get into. It crazy how popular these things are!

Wow! That's an early start!

And for us who don't get out of bed well in the morning it's tough!

Corporate communication at its finest...

Not the first time I've seen something like this.

Well, you know I'm not a fan of coffee, but at least that one looks cool.

I didn't realize you were in the anti-coffee camp. I'm in the coffee addicts support group.

AWESOME!!!

I'm glad you were able to take advantage of this opportunity to go on the ride and celebrate the ride's 50th birthday in that manner. The talk with the imagineers just sounds amazing.

It was great, all around. I'm glad I remembered as much two months later with no photos or notes!

That's hardcore right there. Coast to coast Disney!

They are pretty hardcore!

What? Come on! It isn't like she just came in off the street trying to make herself at home. What's wrong with a little catnap sitting in the lobby when you're waiting on someone?

:confused3

Wait, this TR is still going?? I thought it was over! How much have I missed?! I'm sorry I've been absent, Alison!

They were mostly amusing, but there were plenty of eye rollers, the kind of dad jokes you might get from @Captain_Oblivious or @pkondz.

This sounds like the best presentation of all time! You must have loved it!

That map of the actual track of POTC looks pretty darn cool. And it's neat to see the empty Main St. photos of DL--a view I don't normally get to see!

Wait, this TR is still going?? I thought it was over! How much have I missed?! I'm sorry I've been absent, Alison!

Most of what you've missed has been F&W demos and the kiosks. A lot of it has been fru fru eats, but I did want to tell you folks all about my jaunts to F&W, so I figured tacking them on here as bonus features was the easiest.

This sounds like the best presentation of all time! You must have loved it!

:laughing:

That map of the actual track of POTC looks pretty darn cool. And it's neat to see the empty Main St. photos of DL--a view I don't normally get to see!

It is cool how they wrap it back over itself to conserve space, especially since it is at a premium. Main Street in the morning like that is a view that many people don't see often!

March 18 (continued)

So we left off with me saying goodbye to Suzie and her sons and meeting up with Fran in the lobby of the Grand Californian. We had a demo with Robert Irvine and wanted to get there early. He’s a popular dude and even though the Disney folks didn’t want people to arrive more than half an hour in advance, we knew that they would.

Since they didn’t have a plan for anyone to line up, we just hung out and had told the person checking us in that we were there for Robert Irvine. I had to use the restroom and left Fran there. When I came back from the restroom, there was a huge line up outside so I jumped in the line. I started calling her repeatedly but she didn’t pick up. I called her for half an hour straight with no answer. They finally started letting the outside line inside, giving us wrist bands and putting us in the queue. It turns out that she had no signal inside the building and never heard one of my calls. But she had been working her angle as well and she was assured that we would have a spot in the front on the edge as they knew she was there early.

We got placed in the second row and there was some drama because one gal didn’t know Fran had been waiting inside the entire time. She was also handicapped and was placed in the third row. She started to make a total scene claiming discrimination (the two ladies were a lesbian couple of non-white ethnicity), I’m not sure what basis they were complaining about, but the Disney people and a woman on the end of the first row worked it out so that they could sit in front. I guess they felt vindicated, but for me the embarrassment of behaving in such a manner in public is so unbecoming, I’ll take the third row seats over the drama.

So with the peace restored we sat down for our demo.

Robert Irvine started his show in a similar way that he did the year before, yelling and screaming at his backstage chefs. Sort of as if the audience wasn’t supposed to hear it, but we really were.

When he came out on stage he assured us that “what we were going to get is the guy we see on TV”. He was pissed that someone was trying to substitute a lesser ingredient, and he wasn’t having it! He stormed around the stage trying to be a mean guy.

He gave the camera man a hard time.

And he assured us that he could be just as ornery as we know him to be on TV.

I really felt bad for the perky hostess on this night. He really gave her a hard time!

So if you saw the recipe card, you’ll know that he was making us steaks.

If you read the Directions you’ll know that the first part of the process was to cook the steak in a sous vide at about 200 degrees for an hour.

If you don’t know what sous vide is, that is a method for slowing cooking items in a water bath. The items are sealed in a plastic baggie and cooked at a low temperature for tenderness.

In addition to the steaks, he had a whole melange of veggies going on for a side dish.

Once the steak had been precooked in the sous vide, he seared it on all sides to give it a crispy exterior. (For those of you following on the cruise TR, they did the same thing with Chicken at our Remy Brunch).

He began to work on the carrots and the demi glace next.

One thing that Robert Irvine is very passionate about is his oil. He’s done this demo almost every time that I’ve seen him. Partially to make a point and also because I think he thinks the audience finds it funny. Most chefs advocate the use of olive oil, but what many home cooks don’t realize is that especially Extra Virgin Olive Oil, has a very low smoke point. You really shouldn’t even be cooking with EVOO, it’s meant to season salads and raw food. So what to use when you are searing? Well you need something with a high smoke point, and one of the oils with the highest smoke points is Grapeseed oil. As a demonstration, he gave our hostess a big mouthful of Olive oil.

He asked her what it tasted like an she said, olives, Then he squirted an equal amount of Grapeseed oil down her throat and asked what that tasted like. She didn’t have an answer. And he said that was his point. He wants to season his food the way he likes it, not have the oil season the food. I’ve seen him argue this point multiple times on his TV shows. Our perky hostess commented that she was certainly going to be regular for the next few days.

Then they started to bring out the wine. He actually got mad at them and told them stop serving because he wasn’t ready. “I didn’t tell you start serving did I? Don’t serve anything until I say I’m ready!”

He was still well in the middle of cooking everything up.

He was warned by the powers that be not to bring anyone up on the stage. So what was his next move?

He took a volunteer from the audience. I think he was making a point about the meat needing to rest before it was cooked. He had the guy make muscles to mimick how meat fills up with it’s juices as it cooks, and that before cutting into it you need to let it relax so that all the juices don’t flow out.

I have no recollection as to why he made the guy do knee bends with a skillet in his hands, but it makes for a funny picture.

The vegetables were getting a nice caramelization on them.

And then he said they could bring out the entree. it was very tasty and just the perfect amount for me to be my dinner!

I’m sure they planned this, but right in the middle of the demo, Robert got a facetime call from Guy Fieri (who would be there in two weeks), and he put him on speaker phone on the monitor.

They were both hassling each other and trading insults back and forth.

Then he invited Gary Maggetti, (General Manager, Disney California Adventure Park) onto the stage to thank him for everything he does for the Food & Wine Festival.

Then came dessert, he started to talk about salt and the many different kinds of salts that there were. Then he passed around dishes of salt that we could taste, and look at.

Why? Because the dessert featured Maldon sea salt and he wanted us to know that there were in fact many different kinds of salt.

They heated the cream and melted the chocolate to go with the Eggs to make the custard.

Then he gave the OK to serve the dessert.

Then he went on to talk about his Foundation. In this time of empty promises and kicking the downtrodden, this guy does not only talk the talk, he actually walks the walk. His foundation feeds thousands of wounded warriors and their caregivers, and also works with the Gary Sinise foundation to build smart homes for severely handicapped service members. He talked at length about what they do, and why he feels he needs to do this for folks.

He also said that the next day he was getting on a plane to travel to the Middle East to make a special meal or two for the men and women stationed there and fighting for us.

At the end of the presentation he was available for autographs and photos. I was way too tired to stick around for any of that, so Fran and I just decided to take off and head for home. I’d been fed, had a nice glass of wine and was ready to hit the hay once the kitties got a nice dinner too!

She started to make a total scene claiming discrimination (the two ladies were a lesbian couple of non-white ethnicity), I’m not sure what basis they were complaining about, but the Disney people and a woman on the end of the first row worked it out so that they could sit in front. I guess they felt vindicated, but for me the embarrassment of behaving in such a manner in public is so unbecoming, I’ll take the third row seats over the drama.

I think I would have wished that the floor would open up and swallow me. That's cringeworthy for everyone around; but never for the party that initiates it.

He wants to season his food the way he likes it, not have the oil season the food.

I can appreciate it that sentiment. I have to admit.....I hadn't really thought of using grapeseed oil instead of light olive oil. Might have to give it another look.

And then he said they could bring out the entree. it was very tasty and just the perfect amount for me to be my dinner!

Yum! Looks like a decent serving.

In this time of empty promises and kicking the downtrodden, this guy does not only talk the talk, he actually walks the walk. His foundation feeds thousands of wounded warriors and their caregivers, and also works with the Gary Sinise foundation to build smart homes for severely handicapped service members. He talked at length about what they do, and why he feels he needs to do this for folks.

Good for him! I'm always happy to see when celebrities do this sort of thing.

Those ladies were horrible, I can't imagine acting like that let alone in public. Those kind of people know how to act to get whatever they want...

I had never heard of Robert Irvine before one of your reports and then one of my patients was watching the daily drama shows and Robert Irvine was on the TV. He needs to stick to food, I had to turn the channel he was so bad. That chocolate dessert looks super yummy!

I'm finally here and caught up! Loved reliving the amazing V&A dinner with you ladies. It was an awesome birthday celebration!!!

You guys get to attend the most amazing events. The Pirates event looked amazing! I love Robert Irvine!!! His arms are HUGE!!!!

Jill in CO

Not me. I gave up. I just only eat when I'm hungry.

Eat. Don't eat. You do what's right for you.

Yeah, cause you know how much I do that.

At least once a day.
Twice on Sundays.

But oddly enough, not on Feb 29th on a leap year.

You were probably just in awe of everything going on. Plus it was dark.

Sure.... let's go with "I was in awe".

Whatever floats your boat. :confused3

Displacement floats my boat.

So we left off with me saying goodbye to Suzie and her sons and meeting up with Fran in the lobby of the Grand Californian.

Where Fran was trying to nap and being hounded by the Disney rent-a-cops.

the Disney folks didn’t want people to arrive more than half an hour in advance, we knew that they would.

Quelle surprise.

But she had been working her angle as well and she was assured that we would have a spot in the front on the edge as they knew she was there early.

Way to go Fran!

Still... you must've been so frustrated that she wasn't picking up.

We got placed in the second row and there was some drama because one gal didn’t know Fran had been waiting inside the entire time. She was also handicapped and was placed in the third row. She started to make a total scene claiming discrimination (the two ladies were a lesbian couple of non-white ethnicity), I’m not sure what basis they were complaining about, but the Disney people and a woman on the end of the first row worked it out so that they could sit in front. I guess they felt vindicated, but for me the embarrassment of behaving in such a manner in public is so unbecoming, I’ll take the third row seats over the drama.

I'm with you.
Mind you, as a white straight male, I don't see how I could claim discrimination... but... just... :sad2:

Won't get into the politics of it.

Robert Irvine started his show in a similar way that he did the year before, yelling and screaming at his backstage chefs. Sort of as if the audience wasn’t supposed to hear it, but we really were.

So that's his shtick?

I really felt bad for the perky hostess on this night. He really gave her a hard time!

:laughing: Wasn't the same one that you got tired of?

So if you saw the recipe card, you’ll know that he was making us steaks.

Looks yummy!

If you read the Directions you’ll know that the first part of the process was to cook the steak in a sous vide at about 200 degrees for an hour.

I laughed at that.
The entire audience is probably North American.
None of whom cook with Celsius.

BTW, 58C is 136F.

If you don’t know what sous vide is, that is a method for slowing cooking items in a water bath. The items are sealed in a plastic baggie and cooked at a low temperature for tenderness.

::yes::
Know what it is... but have never done it.
Probably should.

That's one busy table.

:laughing: That looks a little odd.

And he said that was his point. He wants to season his food the way he likes it, not have the oil season the food.

Huh. I'll be darned. I usually will try differently seasoned oils....

Our perky hostess commented that she was certainly going to be regular for the next few days.

:lmao:

I think he was making a point about the meat needing to rest before it was cooked. He had the guy make muscles to mimick how meat fills up with it’s juices as it cooks, and that before cutting into it you need to let it relax so that all the juices don’t flow out.

And I never let it rest.
I'm too hungry.
Off the grill and "Let's eat!"

I was right... That looks really good.

They were both hassling each other and trading insults back and forth.

Yeah. Not set up at all.

Why? Because the dessert featured Maldon sea salt and he wanted us to know that there were in fact many different kinds of salt.

I've only used table and Kosher I think.

Then he went on to talk about his Foundation. In this time of empty promises and kicking the downtrodden, this guy does not only talk the talk, he actually walks the walk. His foundation feeds thousands of wounded warriors and their caregivers, and also works with the Gary Sinise foundation to build smart homes for severely handicapped service members. He talked at length about what they do, and why he feels he needs to do this for folks.

Impressive.

He also said that the next day he was getting on a plane to travel to the Middle East to make a special meal or two for the men and women stationed there and fighting for us.

More impressiveness.

I am all caught up again.

The lady behind him “hosted” every demo on this stage and she got to be kind of annoying because she had the same spiel for every time she came out, and was so overly "bouncy" (and I don't mean like Tigger) and energetic, I kinda wanted to hit her over the head.

I know just the type. This would have grated on me, too.

As I was picking up my martini, Fran came over to the booth and made this preposterous statement. “They ran out of bacon.”

Now that is a very sorry state of affairs.

But for this year I was prepared! At 11 months, I booked us into the VGC for every weekend after Easter! Imagine my surprise when in January they announced it would take place in the six weeks before Easter. Doh!

What a pain. I am glad that you at least partially managed to salvage this.

Oh, Bienenstich. I would have been all over this.

There was going to be a special event on the Pirates 50th anniversary weekend, and we got in! The only catch was that the event took place before the park opened. We had to meet in the lobby of the Grand at 5:45AM.

That sounds painful, but looked well worth it.

Corinna

Wow two SPECTACULAR updates!

Thank you so much Alison for the Pirates event review! I really enjoyed it! The pictures in the morning were beautiful, it really is gorgeous at dark/dusk and nicely set the tone for your review. The pictures you added really added and thank you for going into detail of what you saw with the lights on.

The Robert Irvine review was very thorough- that broad that lost it at the beginning- like seriously people!

Neat to see his character and the dishes themselves look nice for sure! Nice to hear he walks the talk and that's nice that he was available for pictures :)

I think I would have wished that the floor would open up and swallow me. That's cringeworthy for everyone around; but never for the party that initiates it.

That's exactly how I felt except that I wanted to sink into my chair.

I can appreciate it that sentiment. I have to admit.....I hadn't really thought of using grapeseed oil instead of light olive oil. Might have to give it another look.

I've decided to use it in place of Canola or Vegetable oil, both of which I have discontinued using.

Yum! Looks like a decent serving.

It was perfect for me. I normally take home half of regular restaurant meals, so this portion filled me up nicely, especially with dessert.

Good for him! I'm always happy to see when celebrities do this sort of thing.

Much better than showing off their wealth and whining about what other celebs are doing!

Those ladies were horrible, I can't imagine acting like that let alone in public. Those kind of people know how to act to get whatever they want...

Yeah, I'm sure it's not the first time they have used something like that to their advantage. I just wanted to slip into oblivion.

I had never heard of Robert Irvine before one of your reports and then one of my patients was watching the daily drama shows and Robert Irvine was on the TV. He needs to stick to food, I had to turn the channel he was so bad. That chocolate dessert looks super yummy!

He did talk about his talk show and how they did more than just an initial meeting, but that they followed up with the folks who appeared on the show. I've never watched it, but I bet he was pretty hard on the folks that were on his show.

I'm finally here and caught up! Loved reliving the amazing V&A dinner with you ladies. It was an awesome birthday celebration!!!

Yes it was a very fun night! I enjoyed writing it up and trying to figure out what we had and such. I should have taken pictures of your food as well because it became more and more confusing trying to write it up!

You guys get to attend the most amazing events. The Pirates event looked amazing! I love Robert Irvine!!! His arms are HUGE!!!!

Thanks! We try to get to the things we think will be fun! Yes Robert Irvine has huge arm muscles!

Eat. Don't eat. You do what's right for you.

Eat when I'm hungry. Don't eat when I'm not and remember hunger is my friend otherwise.

At least once a day.
Twice on Sundays.

But oddly enough, not on Feb 29th on a leap year.

Pulease. I doubt that I have ever denegrated you purposely!

Sure.... let's go with "I was in awe".

I'm guessing that it was not myself that had you in awe, but maybe @Steppesister

Displacement floats my boat.

That seems like an odd statement.

Eat when I'm hungry. Don't eat when I'm not and remember hunger is my friend otherwise.

Sounds like you got it all figured out. :)

Pulease. I doubt that I have ever denegrated you purposely!

You never have. :hug:

I'm guessing that it was not myself that had you in awe, but maybe @Steppesister

I'd say it was my Fairy Godmother and her magic.

That seems like an odd statement.

Consider the source.

Where Fran was trying to nap and being hounded by the Disney rent-a-cops.

I think Disney purchases their own cops rather than rents them.

Way to go Fran!

Still... you must've been so frustrated that she wasn't picking up.

Yes I definitely was!

I'm with you.
Mind you, as a white straight male, I don't see how I could claim discrimination... but... just... :sad2:

I really can't claim it either. Rarely have I ever felt that I was being discriminated against. I've always thought that I was getting the short end of the stick just like everyone else.

So that's his shtick?

Well the whole tough guy, tough love sort of thing.

:laughing: Wasn't the same one that you got tired of?

Yes, so it shows how badly he was hassling her, and I don't think it was set up. A few times she looked like she was going to cry.

Looks yummy!

It was :goodvibes

I laughed at that.
The entire audience is probably North American.
None of whom cook with Celsius.

BTW, 58C is 136F.

Well he is British and uses funny words like Aubergine. He's the one who said 200°. I can't help it if he doesn't follow his own recipe. I know when I'm making stuff from my cookbook, I only use it as a guideline.

Know what it is... but have never done it.
Probably should.

My friend Jenny's husband is reportedly a great cook, I haven't actually tried his food yet, but he used a sealed zip lock bag and a pot of water on the stove with a thermometer. They called it a "poor man's sous vide". I may try it someday.

That's one busy table.

He definitely had a lot of flavors going on!

:laughing: That looks a little odd.

Sure does. Never mind tastes or feels odd.

Huh. I'll be darned. I usually will try differently seasoned oils....

Well if that's the flavor profile you're looking for....but sometimes you want to choose the seasoning and it's not oil.

And I never let it rest.
I'm too hungry.
Off the grill and "Let's eat!"

I always do, but that's because I have to plate up all the side dishes. When I make standing rib roast, I let it rest for half an hour while the Yorkshire pudding and potatoes cook.

I was right... That looks really good.

It was! :teeth:

Yeah. Not set up at all.

I've only used table and Kosher I think.

I've used sea salt and fleur de sel.

Impressive.

More impressiveness.

He's really a nice guy in real life. I've had a lot of friends who have met him outside demos and he's very nice, considerate and all those things you'd think he would be.

I am all caught up again.

Congratulations! It would have taken me much longer to accomplish that! In fact I am still not caught up!

I know just the type. This would have grated on me, too.

Disney does try to encourage this type.

Now that is a very sorry state of affairs.

I know, really, run out of the headline ingredient!

What a pain. I am glad that you at least partially managed to salvage this.

It worked out pretty well in the end. I need to get on booking for next year now!

Oh, Bienenstich. I would have been all over this.

Had to Google. Yech, coconut!

That sounds painful, but looked well worth it.

It totally was!

Wow two SPECTACULAR updates!

Thank you so much Alison for the Pirates event review! I really enjoyed it! The pictures in the morning were beautiful, it really is gorgeous at dark/dusk and nicely set the tone for your review. The pictures you added really added and thank you for going into detail of

Thanks. Since I didn't have pictures I had to come up with something!

The Robert Irvine review was very thorough- that broad that lost it at the beginning- like seriously people!

I know, really.

Neat to see his character and the dishes themselves look nice for sure! Nice to hear he walks the talk and that's nice that he was available for pictures :)

He is definitely a stand up guy, I've had folks I've met who sort of hung out with him and he is exactly how he represents himself on TV and at demos.

I think Disney purchases their own cops rather than rents them.

Good point.

I really can't claim it either. Rarely have I ever felt that I was being discriminated against. I've always thought that I was getting the short end of the stick just like everyone else.

So you behave like a well adjusted human being, then.

Not surprised, actually.

Yes, so it shows how badly he was hassling her, and I don't think it was set up. A few times she looked like she was going to cry.

Okay. My opinion of him just plummeted.
And I'm actually ticked off.

Picking on someone who is 100% defenseless... unless she wants to risk her job...

Just.. No.

My friend Jenny's husband is reportedly a great cook, I haven't actually tried his food yet, but he used a sealed zip lock bag and a pot of water on the stove with a thermometer. They called it a "poor man's sous vide". I may try it someday.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing.

Well if that's the flavor profile you're looking for....but sometimes you want to choose the seasoning and it's not oil.

True.

I always do, but that's because I have to plate up all the side dishes. When I make standing rib roast, I let it rest for half an hour while the Yorkshire pudding and potatoes cook.

Ah yes. I'll do the same... by accident, more than from planning! :laughing:

I've used sea salt and fleur de sel.

I've never even heard of fleur de sel.
Interesting.

When do you use it?

He's really a nice guy in real life. I've had a lot of friends who have met him outside demos and he's very nice, considerate and all those things you'd think he would be.

Hmmm.....

Opinion reserved....

Congratulations! It would have taken me much longer to accomplish that! In fact I am still not caught up!

I am just caught up on your trip reports and 4 others. I still have PIO's trip report to catch up on and a couple on another forum.

Had to Google. Yech, coconut!

Bienenstich should not have coconut in it. It is a yeast based cake filled with a vanilla custard and is topped with caramelised almonds.

Corinna

I'd say it was my Fairy Godmother and her magic.

:flower3:

So you behave like a well adjusted human being, then.

Not surprised, actually.

:hug:

Okay. My opinion of him just plummeted.
And I'm actually ticked off.

Picking on someone who is 100% defenseless... unless she wants to risk her job...

Just.. No.

Perhaps I misinterpreted what I was seeing. I was very tired.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing.

Let me know how it works for you.

Ah yes. I'll do the same... by accident, more than from planning! :laughing:

You probably would not be surprised by the schedules that I make to ensure my entire meal is done at the same time. It's usually only for the more complicated ones that I do that. For most nightly meals I can do it in my head.

I've never even heard of fleur de sel.
Interesting.

When do you use it?

I've mostly put it on vegetables just before serving. Tomato salads, green beans...

I am just caught up on your trip reports and 4 others. I still have PIO's trip report to catch up on and a couple on another forum.

That's still admirable. I haven't been anywhere and I'm still behind on PIO's TR!

Bienenstich should not have coconut in it. It is a yeast based cake filled with a vanilla custard and is topped with caramelised almonds.

Huh, that sounds better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter