Cats verses Christmas tree

We have two cats, Razum-dar (Raz) and Bunny. Bunny isn't as interested in the tree but will lie under it. Raz on the other hand lays under it and plays with the ornaments. Thankfully due to having younger kids our ornaments are plastic balls and not the 30-40 year old Hallmark ones my mom has accumulated over the years. But this past weekend while I was stringing the lights I kept feeling my toes be brushed while standing on the step stool. At first I thought that it was the tree branch bristles, then I saw it. A cat paw crept out from under the branches, touched my toes, and retracted. I couldn't help but scream. Clearly he thought it was a fun game.

I guess I've been pretty lucky...four cats and none have ever expressed an interest in climbing the tree. Two of them love sleeping underneath it though. The only accommodation I make is not hanging any ornaments on the very bottom, just so the cats don't bump them off with their butts while crawling underneath to take a nap.

My ragdoll is seventeen years old. He lives under our tree from Thanksgiving night to New Years Eve. He hasn’t climbed it in years, but I can’t use gift bags because he climbs in them and I can’t use ribbon or bows on gift boxes because he will eat them.

38144012295_6a0a8000ae.jpg

My ragdoll is seventeen years old. He lives under our tree from Thanksgiving night to New Years Eve. He hasn’t climbed it in years, but I can’t use gift bags because he climbs in them and I can’t use ribbon or bows on gift boxes because he will eat them.

Isn't it great when the older ones still like to play? :)

He is getting so big. He’s almost the size of our 4 year old cat... And he’s not even six months! He’s going to be massive.
My cat also quickly grew large. It's like we went on vacation and poof we came back and he was no longer a kitten.

He's fairly lean (he's mostly furr lol) for his length and height but he hovers around 15lbs. Everyone who meets his is like "whoah he's big"..we're just so used to it now lol.

I've though about seeing if we could do one of those dna tests to see what breeds of cat he is.

Aww what a cutie all snuggled up!

Owner of 3 cats here. We used to have a fancy tree until cat no. 1 knocked it down one too many times. Then we bought another fake tree that was not as fancy and cat no. 1 taught the big, giant cat no. 2 to climb and nestle in the tree. The bottom tree branches were never the same. And I was tired of having what I thought was the worst looking tree because it was only decorated with ornaments about half way up the tree since they would knock the bottom ornaments all down. Now we have "tiny tree" -- a 3 foot tree that sits on some decorative boxes.

We also have some Sccats (motion detected canned air) that come out around the tree until they get the message. Sccats are the key to keeping kitties away from places they shouldn't be. After we realized how great the Sccats worked we just kept the tiny tree because it is so much easier to put up and take down each year.

Our cats have always ignored the trees, except for any low hanging ornaments. :)

Reading these horror stories of cats tearing up your trees makes me so thankful that mine pretty much ignore the trees. We have 3 and other than occasionally finding one of the bottom row ornaments knocked off, they don't bother them. My 16 year old cat spends most of the Christmas season asleep under the tree on the quilted velvet tree skirt (I guess it is just so soft and cushy she can't help herself), so I do have to pay $20 every year after Christmas to have it dry cleaned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!