Cats verses Christmas tree

Sorry to disappoint you all... Hei Hei is not at all interested in the tree. I got home from work last night (please be nice to the people at the guest services counter at Target:rolleyes1) and the tree and stockings were up. He doesn't even notice them. He does however enjoy sledding across the room on the tree skirt :)

Sorry to disappoint you all... Hei Hei is not at all interested in the tree. I got home from work last night (please be nice to the people at the guest services counter at Target:rolleyes1) and the tree and stockings were up. He doesn't even notice them. He does however enjoy sledding across the room on the tree skirt :)
Wait..... what? We were all waiting for climbing pics! Time to trade him in! Although you might redeem him with some sledding footage. ;)

I called Target and posted on their local FB page for a kindness 2 team members did for me and my mom on Thursday that they didn't have to do. Hope it gets those 2 individuals the recognition they deserve. Target employees are the BEST!

ETA: My mom is a riot and tried to tip the second gentleman who helped us. That was funny.

Last edited:

We actually built a plywood base we screwed the tree stand to. Worked like a charm.

This was our 2 year old as a kitten:

On the Naughty List by mom2rtk, on Flickr

If it weren't for the fact that I don't recognize any of the ornaments I would have thought that was a picture of our cat. We got a kitten in August and she is settling in well. She is a few days shy of 5 months old. We decided to put the tree up in stages like a PP suggested. The tree itself has been up since Tuesday and after the first few days of climbing right up into it as your kitty did, she seems to be losing interest. I have been spraying it down with bitter apple which seems to help. I need to pick up a new bottle of bitter apple spray tomorrow and then I think we will try the lights tomorrow and see how that goes.

I did see a tip online about putting ornaments on with twist ties rather than hooks. Apparently the stand up to the batting better. I have a lot of gorgeous (pricey) blown glass ornaments that I believe will stay safely in their containers this year. Unbreakable ornaments it is.

If it weren't for the fact that I don't recognize any of the ornaments I would have thought that was a picture of our cat. We got a kitten in August and she is settling in well. She is a few days shy of 5 months old. We decided to put the tree up in stages like a PP suggested. The tree itself has been up since Tuesday and after the first few days of climbing right up into it as your kitty did, she seems to be losing interest. I have been spraying it down with bitter apple which seems to help. I need to pick up a new bottle of bitter apple spray tomorrow and then I think we will try the lights tomorrow and see how that goes.

I did see a tip online about putting ornaments on with twist ties rather than hooks. Apparently the stand up to the batting better. I have a lot of gorgeous (pricey) blown glass ornaments that I believe will stay safely in their containers this year. Unbreakable ornaments it is.
If it gives you any hope, ours is 2 1/2 now and while he's done a number on the tree skirt, he hasn't climbed the tree since we put it up a few days ago.

We had a pair of kittens the first year we were married, and that tree went down a number of times. We then built the tree platform that kept the tree up, but had to give up on fragile ornaments. Most on our tree are pretty sturdy. My collection of fragile blown glass ornaments hangs from a variety of garlands over doorways in our house........ well out of the reach of feline paws.

We've never had a problem with our older cat and the real Christmas tree. He's 12 and loves to curl up under the tree but pretty much leaves the ornaments alone.
DH said they had to put up only the top half of their artificial tree because their cat would climb it and tear up the ornaments.
We just got a new kitten and she's 7 months now. She is very active and loves to play so I can't wait to see what she does when we get our tree next week!

We put our tree up on Thanksgiving. I figured I would do it in stages to get the cats used to it. Friday I put the ribbon (I use that for garland) on. By Saturday morning the ribbon was a mess and one of the kittens had herself rolled up in it under the tree. By Saturday evening she was laying in the tree. Her much more mild manner brother doesn't care at all about the tree, but is curious about what she is doing to it.
I'll be putting the ornaments on it this week. I'm not putting anything that has meaning or anything fragile up. This should be fun.

I have one cat and I don't put up a big tree anymore. I have two 3 foot trees I put up one on my dresser in my bedroom and one on the desk in the dining room. She pretty much leaves them alone though I did catch her on my dresser a couple times last year. That's when the " naughty" bottle comes in to play. I just squirt a tiny bit of water towards her and she runs

Way back when we had live Christmas trees and only one cat everything seemed okay with the tree until we came home one day from work. Our sweetie ran up and greeted us then trotted off towards her food dish as usual. It was only then that we noticed the tinsel dragging behind her; literally behind her. Our vet said we were lucky she survived! We gave up on tinsel forever and placed our glass ornaments up high leaving her the unbreakables to play with. It worked for all our cats over the years after!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter