Cats verses Christmas tree

Don't put up a tree? :rotfl2:

Seriously, I cannot keep my cat from playing with the ornaments and getting in the tree. I just use ornaments that are not breakable, or at least resist breaking. I don't even bother putting little trees in my Christmas village because she will carry them off and play with them.

Now we're talkin'! Your tortie looks a lot like mine. Beautiful! Do the cat's get along with the guinea pig?

Well, he likes them, but they're actually a little shy with him. :laughing:

It's not really an issue, as he's mostly in his cage, but if he's running around squeaking, they do tend to back off...and he looks at them like he'd so love to play. If he's quietly sitting on my lap, though, the grey one will sometimes cuddle up next to me and groom him a little as if he was a kitten. It's really cute.

Well, this is a timely thread as I was just dealing with this last night. This is our first Christmas with one of our cats, and she is MIGHTY interested in climbing the tree! We figured we may have a climber, so we didn't put up the super special ornaments this year just in case.... which turned out to be a good call.

IMG_2055.jpg

I guess this is my new normal! :rotfl:

We've tied the tree to the ceiling for years but this year we have two kittens who are about 7 months old - they have been nicknamed the terrorists.
We plan to put the tree up for a week or so without ornaments just to see what they do

Please tell me how to keep my cat out of my Christmas tree.

About 11 years ago, we had kitties and a real tree (first time). The tree ended up on top of my daughter's friend, who was sleeping under it on the floor. I lost a lot of nice ornaments that year.

The good news is that those cats never went up into the tree again (for the next 2 years, until they both passed).

Now, we have new cats and I haven't had a big tree since they came. The first 2 years, DH was sick or recuperating and we just didn't have the energy. I had a little tabletop tree we've been using for the last 4 years. Last year, we weren't here and DD didn't want to have to keep chasing a baby out of a tree (he was 9 months old and very mobile). This year, I'm going to be leaving right after Christmas to take GS up to his mom and dad in Cali (yes!!!! SoIL is coming back from Japan next month and they are heading straight to Cali! They are driving with the dog and my cat that GS is attached to, and I'm flying GS up the next week. Much easier to drive without an 21 month old than with!!)

This thread just reminded me what I have to look forward to this Christmas. I just adopted a kitten and while I haven't brought him home yet as the vet hasn't approved it I think I will have to remember to keep the good Disney ornaments off of the tree this year.

Memories of Christmas past though I have dealt with a few cats and trees. This was my first cat quite a few years ago. She loved all things Christmas
2.jpg 4.jpg 8.jpg

This one didn't like the tree but loved my centerpiece arrangement
14.jpg

4 cats - one of whom is a kitten and a climber... going to be an interesting year. Three out of 4 are "hunters" and will bring me everything from stuffed animals to slippers, so we'll be getting a lot of ornament gifts in our room this year, I'm sure. We ALWAYS wire the tree to the wall... except that one year that DH was oh so certain that the tree stand was stable. Yup. You know what happened at 1am. SO so so many broken ornaments.

For a couple of years I tied the tree to the curtain rod and then just decorated with lights and various ribbons tied to the tree. That way the cats couldn't damage anything.

The cats have been leaving it alone now that they are older.

I will never forget the year the mailman came to the door and rang the doorbell. The cat was sitting in the window on the other side of the tree and freaked out. He ran through the tree and down it went.
The mailman was so apologetic. That was the year I'd have my daughter, I was still at home on maternity leave and the crash woke her up. I was so not happy!

Thankfully, none of my cats have ever been tree climbers; it was always the iguana we had to wrestle out of the tree.

Last year I took Christmas pics of all the pets and this year I'm framing and hanging those as 8x10 photos in a new "family" tree I'll be putting up which will become the catch all for all the sentimental ornaments -- travel ornaments, baby's first, kid handprints, etc. Here are two of my girls from that, plus a bonus photo of my decorating assistant:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

(The tree is of the upside down variety, in case anyone's wondering why it looks funny.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!