Cats verses Christmas tree

Wish I knew. This is our second year with cats and last year they didn't go near it. This year they are exploring it :(

There unfortunately is not a great solution if you cat decides they love your tree. I did find it is helpful if you do not use tinsel and keep especially shiny ornaments from the bottom rungs of the tree.

Another thing I did was put a box under the tree, and I had a cat which loved to sit in it and look up into the tree.

Cat versus tree is quite frustrating!!

After having trees knocked over several times by cats over the years, we started attaching it to the wall.
But over all the years (and we have been married for 42), only once did a cat knock it over. He liked laying under it and got got in the lights and panicked.
We don't have cats now and the tree is in the middle of the foyer. Not it is the grand kids to watch for ;)

why-cats-drink.jpg

We just don't do trees anymore. Our cat not only takes everything off the tree, he also will take the branches off of our artificial tree. The last straw was when he tangled himself up in the light chord and we came home to an injured cat.

You know the tie-back hooks for curtains? He tool those out of the wall with his teeth. Nothing is safe with him, even now at 14!

We just don't do trees anymore. Our cat not only takes everything off the tree, he also will take the branches off of our artificial tree. The last straw was when he tangled himself up in the light chord and we came home to an injured cat.

You know the tie-back hooks for curtains? He tool those out of the wall with his teeth. Nothing is safe with him, even now at 14!
Your screen name makes more sense now. :p

My cats have never actually gotten into the tree they just have gone under it and maybe bit on it a bit.
The fake tree is the one they seem to attack but at least that is small and doesn't have our precious ornaments on it.
We are buying a new fake tree this year because the old one won't stand up lol.
I think its one of those things that you really worry about and then realize they aren't actually doing that much harm by just going under it if thats all they are doing.

We have two cats. They were worse with it when they were little, but just in case, when we have a real tree, we put it in a corner and wire it to eye hooks that we've screwed into the window frame and fireplace mantle.

OH, and I second no tinsel! It's bad if they swallow it.
I love tinsel! But have never had any as an adult because we have always had cats.

I actually haven’t taken any in a while! Well... Except this one. Now he has a heavy, high sided dog bowl :rolleyes:

View attachment 284514
My cat is not to be trusted with gravity ones lol so we bought him this:
upload_2017-11-21_10-14-20.png

He was already being fed on a schedule so this just made it easier as it's an automatic feeder. It works with a conveyor belt inside and a locking lid that the cat can't open.

*I also agree we need more pics :) :)

Oh the joys of Christmas with cats.

It's not just the tree, my kittens used to attack the Christmas village at night. Every night the population would decrease. :rotfl2: And they would hide the lamposts and the people in the strangest places. I wish I would have set up a camera for the attack.

This thread has really made me think back and smile, thanks Mizzoufan. I had two brothers, same litter, and the last just passed a few months ago at 18. But it kills me that they have such different personalities. I walked in once to a totally downed tree. A complete mess. One sat there beside the mess, cleaning himself - lounging. And the other ran right to the door to us and paced back and forth. I can't even decide which one was showing guilt. :rotfl::rotfl2:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter