Castle Refurbishment January Thru Spring

I love the Animation building. My kids (and grandkids) will go draw, while I just take in the main room. We can easily spend a few hours in there between drawing, and the Sorcerer's Workshop. It is a lot of fun!

See?! Now you have to renew your AP -- you're practically obligated so that you can check all those things off your list!
Pretty much lol. I’m going to make it a priority this year to do more of the entertainment offerings, and slower activities. So far I’ve just done rides, characters, parades, the big shows, eat, and shopping lol

You must make a plan for the Animation Building. It's like magic walking in there!
I always forget to go! Even though I always pass it..maybe I’ll look when I go later this month.

This is so TRUE!

I live in Canada - that is about as non local as you can get but because I go overboard with my research I often feel like I know way more about what is going on when in the parks than most guests. I have helped people before who were confused and didn't understand what to do or people who are asking "what is the group of people over there doing" and I'd know that a specific group was going to be in the parks that day from this forum. My daughter has actually said to me before "you know you're not a cast member right, you don't have to help people" but I find it fun to offer up information especially if people are clearly confused by something. I have even had people who have said to me "oh you must be local are you" and nope!

The expression ignorance is bliss didn't invent itself....but I do like knowing ahead of time especially when trips are once every year or every second year - if I were local I'd likely know less as heh, you can go anytime right?

My husband and I were at Disneyland over Thanksgiving, and while we are AP's we live in Wisconsin so we aren't there every week by any means. Anyway, we were on the carousel and when the ride was done a lady came sprinting over to us and said she had a question and we looked like we knew what we were doing. My husband and I are like okay, wondering what was up. She wanted to know how Maxpass worked, so we exited the carousel with her and her family and told her about it, helped her buy it on her phone, and make her first fast pass! It was just fun to help and she was really grateful. We still wonder what it was about us that made us look like we were in the know!

They are also open 10-5, and don't have nearly the traffic Disneyland does. I'm sorry you are still upset about the trip. Anyway you can postpone til you can have a better time?

What does 10-5 have to do with the ability to pre warn your customers of closures more than a few weeks ahead of time...

They are also open 10-5, and don't have nearly the traffic Disneyland does. I'm sorry you are still upset about the trip. Anyway you can postpone til you can have a better time?

I do think she has a valid point, though. I’m not sure why increased traffic and longer hours would prevent Disney from posting an easily-accessible list of closures they have scheduled for the year.

In November, they got the permit to fix the castle in January, so that closure was planned before the promotional ticket prices were announced. However, when they announced the ticket discounts, they did not have the scheduled castle closure posted anywhere on their website. They seem to have purposely waited until people had already bought tickets before they announced anything. They have their disclaimer to fall back on, that all attractions are subject to closure at any time, but many theme parks reveal closures ahead of time to give guests advance notice. To expect the same courtesy from Disney doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

It’s one thing if a closure is unplanned, but when it’s planned, it seems like the considerate thing to do would be to share that information with guests. At the very least, there should be a visible link to the refurbishment list on their main page. You shouldn’t have to know to click things to do-attractions-and adjust the calendar one day at a time. There should be one list of upcoming closures that’s easily accessible.

Am I hating on Disney by pointing this out? No, I’m a lifelong fan. Will their practice of withholding information about closures keep me from visiting the parks? Absolutely not. Still, would I appreciate a bit more consideration and professional courtesy in regard to the way closures are announced? Yes.

I think one reason they don't announce them as far out is because things change. And then people complain. Now, we generally look at past history to determine what could be closed. However, things happen, like the time Space Mountain went down I think it was a month early due to an unexpected malfunction. Or when BTMRR went 6-8 mos over the expected reopening. It was somewhere around this time they stopped giving timelines as far out. It was maybe 5? years ago, that they did announce dates more like 6 mos out. They stopped giving out the future closures. Things change. My suggestion would be to contact DIsney and let them know you feel they should announce further out.

I think part of my "not worrying" about it is I still remember the days when we showed up and that was when we learned the hours and what was open.

I think one reason they don't announce them as far out is because things change. And then people complain. Now, we generally look at past history to determine what could be closed. However, things happen, like the time Space Mountain went down I think it was a month early due to an unexpected malfunction. Or when BTMRR went 6-8 mos over the expected reopening. It was somewhere around this time they stopped giving timelines as far out. It was maybe 5? years ago, that they did announce dates more like 6 mos out. They stopped giving out the future closures. Things change. My suggestion would be to contact DIsney and let them know you feel they should announce further out.

I think part of my "not worrying" about it is I still remember the days when we showed up and that was when we learned the hours and what was open.

Thanks for the perspective. I also remember the days when we didn’t find out about closures, hours, and entertainment until we arrived in the park. Advance planning wasn’t nearly as necessary in the past before crowds became so immense. Years ago, during the time of year when there were a lot of closures, the parks were comparably empty, so the overall experience was not as negatively affected by closures. Crowd control was not much of an issue. Since the parks are now always relatively full, closures affect attraction capacity and traffic patterns in a major way, so they are an important factor in deciding when to visit. Back in the day, dining reservations were hardly necessary, hotels rarely sold out in the off-season, and you could walk up and watch a parade at the last minute. Now people have to pay attention to nearby convention schedules, school schedules, early entry schedules, blockout dates, special events, grad nites, after-hours events, parties, strict Fastpass return times, viewing reservations for entertainment, etc.

I agree that we shouldn’t have to plan so much in advance, but because demand for the parks is so high, we have had little choice but to adjust our planning accordingly over the years. Some might suggest that all the planning is unnecessary, that it’s best to just show up and enjoy like people did years ago, but when newbies fail to plan a once-in-a-lifetime trip and then complain about having had a less than stellar time due to unmanageable crowds or closures, they’re often met with responses such as, “You should’ve planned, taken this and that into consideration, etc.” Some of the info they’re expected to consider is more difficult to find on the DL website than it should be. In the era you speak of, it wasn’t necessary to consider so many factors in planning a trip, but I would argue that it has become increasingly necessary since then.

... I agree that we shouldn’t have to plan so much in advance, but because demand for the parks is so high, we have had little choice but to adjust our planning accordingly over the years. Some might suggest that all the planning is unnecessary, that it’s best to just show up and enjoy like people did years ago, but when newbies fail to plan a once-in-a-lifetime trip and then complain about having had a less than stellar time due to unmanageable crowds or closures, they’re often met with responses such as, “You should’ve planned, taken this and that into consideration, etc.” Some of the info they’re expected to consider is more difficult to find on the DL website than it should be. In the era you speak of, it wasn’t necessary to consider so many factors in planning a trip, but I would argue that it has become increasingly necessary since then.
I really appreciate how reasonable you are trying to be about all this. (Seriously -- good for you!) You're right that it isn't easy trying to dance around all the different things that play into planning a DLR trip, whether you are a first timer or a seasoned veteran. But some of the people complaining the loudest and longest here are not newbies and visit regularly. So, barring unforeseen tragedy, they will get another chance to see the parks when all the wrapping comes off. They've seen the castle in its glory, and will again. They've ridden rides that are now down for refurb, and will again. No one is saying that Disney is perfect or that the current refurb schedule couldn't use some improvement. But we are saying that any DLR trip can be magical no matter what refurbs are happening and that choosing to focus on the negative is a sure way to sour a trip (either for yourself or for others reading here).

I really appreciate how reasonable you are trying to be about all this. (Seriously -- good for you!) You're right that it isn't easy trying to dance around all the different things that play into planning a DLR trip, whether you are a first timer or a seasoned veteran. But some of the people complaining the loudest and longest here are not newbies and visit regularly. So, barring unforeseen tragedy, they will get another chance to see the parks when all the wrapping comes off. They've seen the castle in its glory, and will again. They've ridden rides that are now down for refurb, and will again. No one is saying that Disney is perfect or that the current refurb schedule couldn't use some improvement. But we are saying that any DLR trip can be magical no matter what refurbs are happening and that choosing to focus on the negative is a sure way to sour a trip (either for yourself or for others reading here).

Thanks for this! I agree. I’m not a local or a true veteran of the parks, but I have been to DLR about once a year or every two years since I was a baby, and I’m 36 now, so... truth be told, I’ve seen all these attractions plenty of times and will likely see them again many times in the future. There’s really no reason for me to be hyper-focusing on this issue like it’s some kind of travesty or something.

This whole post started because I’m in some DL groups on fb, and there are lots of one-time visitors on there who purchased the promo tickets and are very sad about the closures, saying that they wish they had known about the castle because they can’t afford to come back. I felt major empathy for them and decided I should follow the refurb schedule more closely and notify people in all my groups accordingly.

Each time I get a notification for this thread, for some reason I feel the need to advocate passionately for all the once-in-a-lifetime visitors who wish they’d had information about closures when they chose their travel dates. I’ve taken the whole thing very seriously, as if I were arguing before the Supreme Court with Disney execs hanging on my every word. It’s silly, isn’t going to change anything, and is causing me to focus on the negative. It’s unfortunate for all the newbies, but I’m not one of them, so I should probably move on, stop harping on the issue, and just enjoy my trip! Haha Sorry about all the long-winded replies— I’m an over-thinker but don’t mean any harm, and the last thing I want to do is spread negativite vibes. :)

Thanks for this! I agree. I’m not a local or a true veteran of the parks, but I have been to DLR about once a year or every two years since I was a baby, and I’m 36 now, so... truth be told, I’ve seen all these attractions plenty of times and will likely see them again many times in the future. There’s really no reason for me to be hyper-focusing on this issue like it’s some kind of travesty or something.

This whole post started because I’m in some DL groups on fb, and there are lots of one-time visitors on there who purchased the promo tickets and are very sad about the closures, saying that they wish they had known about the castle because they can’t afford to come back. I felt major empathy for them and decided I should follow the refurb schedule more closely and notify people in all my groups accordingly.

Each time I get a notification for this thread, for some reason I feel the need to advocate passionately for all the once-in-a-lifetime visitors who wish they’d had information about closures when they chose their travel dates. I’ve taken the whole thing very seriously, as if I were arguing before the Supreme Court with Disney execs hanging on my every word. It’s silly, isn’t going to change anything, and is causing me to focus on the negative. It’s unfortunate for all the newbies, but I’m not one of them, so I should probably move on, stop harping on the issue, and just enjoy my trip! Haha Sorry about all the long-winded replies— I’m an over-thinker but don’t mean any harm, and the last thing I want to do is spread negativite vibes. :)
Don't be too hard on yourself. There's not some rule saying you can't be disappointed about the closures. Much better to vent about it here and adjust your approach before you head out on your trip.

I for one appreciate that you've been reminding posters that not everyone is a frequent visitor and might not get to just pop back in when the refurbs are over.

Don't be too hard on yourself. There's not some rule saying you can't be disappointed about the closures. Much better to vent about it here and adjust your approach before you head out on your trip.

I for one appreciate that you've been reminding posters that not everyone is a frequent visitor and might not get to just pop back in when the refurbs are over.

Thank you! I’m a relatively new member of these boards, and everyone on here has been very understanding, helpful, and kind. That says a lot about this community in general.

If these are one time visitors then they likely don't know that with a promo ticket you are likely not getting what they try to have the park like in August. Promo tickets are sold for a reason. Last year we had the Canadian tickets and the pier was down, main street and the hub were covered in walls, it was weird but we had a great time. They are upset because they don't know yet that you can have a great time there without everything being up and fully operational. It's all a trade off. But no one wants to hear that and honestly you can't feel bad for people who do not plan, you can have empathy but the best thing that will come out of this is that now they'll know...and many people say they are going to DLR only once and then they come back, year after year after year....I know this from experience.

And I stand by my comment that if you know you can only go once - go in the summer when sure it's busier but everything is up and ready to roll!

And this board was built for harping and discussing details far more so than in the real world where most people show up blind and try to figure it out as they go - so don't apologize for your passion.

I knew what I was getting into when we scheduled our trip in late January. The usual refurbishments done this time every year. The only thing I wasn’t counting on was the castle. They don’t refurb often so wasn’t counting on that. Since this we be our first and only trip to DL no castle is a real bummer. People comparing the castle being down to a ride is silly to me. A first trip without the castle is a big deal for some. You would think people could understand that.

I have lurked here for quite a while, but only recently started posting as I plan our next trip, and I totally love the passion! We surprised our kids for the 1st trip as a fam, but since then they have known it was coming (5th birthday celebrations in Disney are our thing, so kinda hard to keep it a secret). It has helped me prep the kids if any of their favorites will be down (TLM was down last visit, and because I was able to tell the kids before we got there, we handled any tears/upset ahead of time and were able to focus on what WAS there!). I am glad refurb schedule is posted in advance, but as others have said you never know when a ride or attraction will go down unexpectedly.

This trip seems much LESS planned than my others, even though I started planning about 2 years ago - with all the changes (planned and unplanned) happening, and some of our own major changes (we moved nearly across country), all my original plans were straight out the window anyway. It'll be exciting to see what all is available during our trip in March, and it'll be our first time during Food & Wine so we will focus on that versus anything that's missing. That's the plan anyway!

I saw pictures of the Sleeping Beauty forest wrap they added to the scrim and I love it. It beats past walls and tarps they've had over the castle before.
The pictures I've seen only had a grey fence along the front of the castle. Have they added scrim now?
Edit: nevermind, saw it on Freshbaked.

Last edited:
You would think Disney could manage this....
You would think Disney could manage this....

Haha, while it is a nice list at the rate Sea World is going their closure list will soon read "Sea World Closed"

Unfortunately, Disneyland does not have any incentive to publish the schedule a long way out. It does give them more flexibility. Unfortunately, for people going in the off season, refurbishment is just part of the deal you make for going in Jan-April or Mid August - October. The sad part is, there is no "off season" really anymore. That does seem to be refurbishment season though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!