Castle Refurbishment January Thru Spring

Christin82

Mouseketeer
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up:

During the ticket promotion in 2019, the exterior of the castle will be under refurbishment, Fantasmic will be down along with World of Color, and Splash Mountain and Grizzly River Run will be closed as well due to seasonal upkeep.

I know it’s refurb season, but that is a lot down at once, so those who are planning once-in-a-lifetime trips may want to prepare themselves accordingly.

That said, I know refurbs are necessary, especially in light of the upcoming opening of Galaxy’s Edge. We still plan to have a great time on our trip, and at least the tickets are cheap!

We will be there Jan. 19 - 23. Luckily we will get to see Fantasmic, it goes dark Jan 22. Splash Mountain will also still be open our dates, although that may be out anyway if it's too cold. Totally bummed about the castle, though.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up:

During the ticket promotion in 2019, the exterior of the castle will be under refurbishment, Fantasmic will be down along with World of Color, and Splash Mountain and Grizzly River Run will be closed as well due to seasonal upkeep.

I know it’s refurb season, but that is a lot down at once, so those who are planning once-in-a-lifetime trips may want to prepare themselves accordingly.

That said, I know refurbs are necessary, especially in light of the upcoming opening of Galaxy’s Edge. We still plan to have a great time on our trip, and at least the tickets are cheap!

I disagree that everything should be refurbed ready for galaxy edge. The guests visiting in the 1st half of the year are no less important than those visiting once galaxy's edge opens.

I disagree that everything should be refurbed ready for galaxy edge. The guests visiting in the 1st half of the year are no less important than those visiting once galaxy's edge opens.
I agree with you that no one guest is more important than another, but considering the unprecedented crowds that will accompany the opening of GE, Disneyland will need everything running at optimum capacity to be able to accommodate the astronomical number of people who will be in the parks. The wait times are already likely to be higher than anything we’ve ever seen, and if there were fewer working attractions to disperse everyone to, it would be even worse. That said, I’m bummed about the closures during my trip for sure.

It’s hard to be bummed about Grizzly and Splash considering they almost always go down for refurb this time of year considering the weather.

WOC will be down through Spring? Do we have confirmation from Disney on that? Last I knew the re-opening was unknown.

WOC is just stated as returning soon...so its pretty open ended.
Yeah, an article I read in an Anaheim newspaper said WOC would open sometime in the next several months, but Disney just says “soon.” In regard to the castle and Fantasmic, though, the DL site says thru spring.

I agree with you that no one guest is more important than another, but considering the unprecedented crowds that will accompany the opening of GE, Disneyland will need everything running at optimum capacity to be able to accommodate the astronomical number of people who will be in the parks. The wait times are already likely to be higher than anything we’ve ever seen, and if there were fewer working attractions to disperse everyone to, it would be even worse. That said, I’m bummed about the closures during my trip for sure.

I dont think the answer is to unevenly close attractions for earlier guests, who are already dealing with fewer hours in the day and less entertainment to be dispersed around

Where are you seeing Splash being closed? I don't doubt you I just haven't seen that listed anywhere.

ETA: Nevermind, I just saw it on the calendar for February, hopefully it will be done by mid-March.

Last edited:
I’m not trying to sound snooty here so please don’t read it with that tone.

We’ve had threads before that talked about refurbishments in Jan/feb. it’s a trade off you will always make by going during “off season”. When planning a trip you can’t look at lower crowd time and expect everything to be going and showing. You chose the lower crowds over it. I think it’s important for people planning trips to know that and consider it. I’ll go the week between Christmas and New Years over a trip in late January every time. I prefer to have everything running and open when I’m there and the crowds don’t bother me. Disneyland probably doesn’t want any guest to feel let down. But they are open 365 days a year so I’m sure they just have to choose the least crowded times to do what they need to do.

I don’t think what you said was snooty at all. Sometimes we go to Disneyland during the busy season, and sometimes we go during refurb season. There are definitely pros and cons to both, but we always have a good time regardless. I just thought people would want a heads up about how many major refurbishments are planned for early 2019 during the ticket promotion. Some people might jump on the reduced ticket prices and decide to take that once-in-a-lifetime trip to DL due to the enticingly low prices without realizing that the castle may be covered in scrim and two of the best shows might not be showing. Many people will still take their trips knowing this information, but others might reconsider and pay full price at a later date. The refurb list is publicized, but you have to know where to look, and some newer members may not be aware.

Last edited:
So is there a good chance the castle will be covered right at the beginning of the refurb? Our first park day is 1/8 and while I expected closures, that was one thing I definitely wasn't expecting :(

So is there a good chance the castle will be covered right at the beginning of the refurb? Our first park day is 1/8 and while I expected closures, that was one thing I definitely wasn't expecting :(
If 1/8 is your first day i then you’ll be fine. Refurb isn’t supppse to start till middle of the month.

That's our first day too! I think even if it is covered ( which I'm guessing it won't be) it's still going to be an amazing trip. Honestly, the castle is only one landmark. There so many other fantastic immersive areas to enjoy :-)

I don’t think what you said was snooty at all. Sometimes we go to Disneyland during the busy season, and sometimes we go during refurb season. There are definitely pros and cons to both, but we always have a good time regardless. I just thought people would want a heads up about how many major refurbishments are planned for early 2019 during the ticket promotion. Some people might jump on the reduced ticket prices and decide to take that once-in-a-lifetime trip to DL due to the enticingly low prices without realizing that the castle may be covered in scrim and two of the best shows might not be showing. Many people will still take their trips knowing this information, but others might reconsider and pay full price at a later date. The refurb list is publicized, but you have to know where to look, and some newer members may not be aware.

You also have to take in account that people have to also decide on when to go based on when they can travel.

While I def am not thrilled with with the possibility of no WOC and def no Fantasmic , I am also glad it saves me hundreds in dining packages to make finding a spot easier.

The water rides are expected for jan/feb, but really if its the castle, the two night shows and 2 water rides I can live with that. My kids will enjoy the rides more and I am so excited for soundsational and the new mickeys mix thing.

We are planning to go late April which is close to Easter this year so I don't consider that a slow time. There are so many things that may or may not be reopened since "Spring" is very vague. We are planning a general CA trip with Disneyland as just one part. If things don't reopen it may become a 1 day visit vs a 3 day onsite hotel visit. We only get to CA every 10 years or so being from the East Coast. I would rather see other things than a lot of construction. We are taking an extended break from visiting WDW due to the amount of construction. It is disappointing that DL may be turning out to the be same way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter