Castle refurb/rope drop update + pics

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Folks, quick update on the castle refurb/rope drop situation. As many of you know, for the past three Sunday rope drops, we've been told that the passage to the left of the castle was not open. So we took the long way around to FL... only to find that it was, in fact, open and dozens of other guests beat us to PP due to the bad/incorrect info we were given. This morning, we went to the left rope at around 8:40 (9:00 rope drop today). CMs told us, once again, that the left passage would not be open. But we ignored them, given their 100% failure rate over the past three weeks. However, once the park opened, we saw that this time they were right (even a broken clock is right twice a day ;-)). We also learned two other important things.

1. If a CM stands at the passage entrance minutes before rope drop, the passage will be closed. Go to the right rope and take the long way around.

2. A CM at BBB told me that if it's raining (as it has been for the past three Sundays), the passage will be open. If it's not raining (as it wasn't this morning), the passage will be closed.

Take this all with a grain of salt, of course. It's just what we were told this morning. Given how little CMs seem to know about this, it's just as likely that this could also be incorrect info. Let's all continue to monitor the situation for the next few weeks.

The head of the left passage. Note that a CM was there, which indicated that it was closed.
IMG_8546.JPG

A rare occurrence. I exited Buzz Lightyear and every photo kiosk was available!
IMG_8549.JPG

IMG_8552.JPG

Part of the scrim was missing, presumably because of expected high winds.
IMG_8553.JPG

Did OK on Buzz today. Two or three scores didn't flow through but thankfully they were only the lowest ones.
IMG_8559.JPG

IMG_8560.JPG

I liked this image just above PP with the birds on the wire.

IMG_8563.JPG

IMG_8564.JPG

IMG_8566.JPG

Just to let you know it was bright sunshine on Saturday and people got through that passage. My theory is ask the same question to three cast members and you’ll get three different answers.

Just to let you know it was bright sunshine on Saturday and people got through that passage. My theory is ask the same question to three cast members and you’ll get three different answers.
I believe you’re absolutely correct. It feels like CMs often offer their thoughts or opinions as fact. This isn’t a criticism. They’re likely just trying to help - many of them go out of their way to help guests. But as I said to a friend this morning, if you don’t know, it’s OK to say “I don’t know” or “I’m not sure.”

In a similar vein, often times when I’ll step into a Mexican restaurant, I’ll ask if their beans contain beef lard or chicken broth — it’s a very common additive. I’m a longtime vegetarian and it’s something that matters deeply to me. When they think for a moment and then say “Uhm..... no? No.” They don’t know and it’s not OK to guess. Just say “You know what? I don’t know.” Far preferable to say that than to guess when the answer is important.

I believe you’re absolutely correct. It feels like CMs often offer their thoughts or opinions as fact. This isn’t a criticism. They’re likely just trying to help - many of them go out of their way to help guests. But as I said to a friend this morning, if you don’t know, it’s OK to say “I don’t know” or “I’m not sure.”

In a similar vein, often times when I’ll step into a Mexican restaurant, I’ll ask if their beans contain beef lard or chicken broth — it’s a very common additive. I’m a longtime vegetarian and it’s something that matters deeply to me. When they think for a moment and then say “Uhm..... no? No.” They don’t know and it’s not OK to guess. Just say “You know what? I don’t know.” Far preferable to say that than to guess when the answer is important.
If the passage is closed during the morning rush, does it stay closed all day or does it open later on in the day?

My understanding is that a CM is not allowed to say "I don't know" to any question. The 'correct' response is "Let me find out for you" followed by doing just that.

As a person with dietary restrictions I can tell you that if a CM doesn't know if something has gluten in it (and/or doesn't want to be bothered with hunting up someone to answer the question) the 'default' answer is almost always 'Yes, it does' because that puts them on the 'safe side'. I'm surprised they don't tell you the same thing regarding animal products.

But I agree, you can usually tell when a CM really isn't sure and someone's diet isn't something to fool around with, especially when it comes to allergies or intolerances. I've had them double check for me in more than one instance. I suggest you do the same.

My understanding is that a CM is not allowed to say "I don't know" to any question. The 'correct' response is "Let me find out for you" followed by doing just that.

As a person with dietary restrictions I can tell you that if a CM doesn't know if something has gluten in it (and/or doesn't want to be bothered with hunting up someone to answer the question) the 'default' answer is almost always 'Yes, it does' because that puts them on the 'safe side'. I'm surprised they don't tell you the same thing regarding animal products.

But I agree, you can usually tell when a CM really isn't sure and someone's diet isn't something to fool around with, especially when it comes to allergies or intolerances. I've had them double check for me in more than one instance. I suggest you do the same.
That seems lazy of them to just say it has gluten. If they work in the restaurant they should find out. It isn't like Disney park restaurants have large menus.
Wonka was referring to Mexican restaurants not at Disney though. It might be helpful to ask if the server can ask the chef if the beans are free of animal broth. The ones at Disneyland are vegetarian. I never really thought about beans having meat broth in them. Thanks for the heads up. We're vegetarian too. I make my own beans at home and the process never led me to think they might traditionally have meat broth. But that explains why some canned refried beans say vegetarian on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter