Cass, Rob & Kira - Disneyland May 2019 - "Sniff...snifff. I think I smell Wi-Fi!!!"

Joining in! I usually lurk, but I've followed a few years of your trippies and it's amazing to see how much Kira has grown! I love your idea of giving incentives for good behavior as souvenir money!! I'll probably be using that idea myself in the future!

I share Kira's apprehension about the GotG ride! I loved the theming of ToT but I hate drop rides! :scared1::sick:

Thanks for coming out of lurkdom to post :goodvibes

The bribery...err...umm...incentive totally works 🤣

Oh man, I could do TOT and GoTG all day long! 🥰

Haha food baby :rotfl2:

I'm sorry you weren't feeling well later in the day :( That food does NOT look good (and pricey!!) We've never had a bad meal at Flo's but now I know to stay away from the fried chicken!!

The dessert party is THE way to go when watching WOC! For sure. In 2015 we somehow ended up near the very front watching WOC and got soaked :sad2: In 2016 I discovered the dessert party and there was no looking back! lol Did it again in 2017 and will not watch WOC without doing it in the future!
Love your photos, just gorgeous! And imagine leaving any of those tasty treats behind?! Get a box to carry it out but for goodness sake DON'T leave it behind!

Yes, very pricey so it’s tough to swallow (literally in that case!) when it’s crap :crazy2:

Yeah, I can see how doing the dessert party totally spoils it forever! We felt so spoiled! 🥰🤩

Yeah, my thoughts exactly! Take it with you! We saw so many empty tables as we were walking out where they had hardly touched their food and it was just left there! If I had less class and bad manners, I would have grabbed the leftover cheesecakes and shortbread cookies :rotfl2::lmao::laughing:

As an aside for those following this trippie, Mother's Day & this DL trip this year was a very special celebration of life for us. You are probably wondering why that would be, there's a little bit of history to Mother's Day for us.

9yrs ago on Mother's Day (May 2010), Cass' Lupus had take a turn for the worst. During a trip with my parents in which I had taken Kira with us, we drove down on a Friday night the week before Mother's Day (that's 2 1/2 days driving with two late night stops overnight) to Houston for the Offshore Technology Conference in which my Dad was attending.
Unfortunately, Cass had gotten sick shortly after we had left (the Sunday night after we had left) and her Lupus had given her pneumonia. We found out on a Wednesday night that she had been admitted to the hospital ER within 5min of arriving (she was blue at the time) and with that info, we started driving back to Calgary on a Thursday morning at 6am (took us 2hrs to leave Houston due to rush hour traffic) and we drove home in 42hrs straight (with a lot of drama in between including wicked thundershowers, tornadoes, and my Grandpa passing away while we were going through North Dakota) to make it in time to see Cass about an hour before she was to be put on a ventilator for what they thought at the time would be for 3 days.

Unfortunately, Mother's Day was the next day so we gave her lots of hugs and kisses and waited for her to recover. However, on Mother's Day I told by the ICU staff not to go anywhere that day from her side when I arrived at around 8am as Cass' lungs had pretty much totally filled with fluid and her oxygen levels were dropping fast and we weren't sure if she was going to live through the day.
Her lungs had filled with fluid that it actually left her scar tissue in her lungs we would find out after, it was very much touch and go all day. I stayed by her side all day & prayed to God for her, and by 11pm I was given the all clear that things had settled down and she was stable. 7 days later she would come off of the respirator & barring some really rare drug side effects, be with us again. I try to show her every day just how much she is loved and appreciated and especially Thank God for her! I really did use up all my good luck with just being with her and having her in my life.

So for this Mother's Day, spending it at Blue Bayou & in DL in general for the week, was a wonderful celebration and I would have to say, if Cass wanted to buy anything at all in the park at all it would be hers, even DVC if she wanted it ;)
All I can say is enjoy your moments, appreciate your family, you'll never know when you won't be seen again.
Rob, thank you for sharing this story. So thankful Cass is okay and you could celebrate together! Life is precious

Okay, all caught up! Looks like you are having a great time! I seem to miss out on some just do items for various reasons. It's great to see you really enjoying your Mother's Day! Can't believe Rob never gets tired of the Dole Whip after consuming so many :laughing:

As an aside for those following this trippie, Mother's Day & this DL trip this year was a very special celebration of life for us. You are probably wondering why that would be, there's a little bit of history to Mother's Day for us.

9yrs ago on Mother's Day (May 2010), Cass' Lupus had take a turn for the worst. During a trip with my parents in which I had taken Kira with us, we drove down on a Friday night the week before Mother's Day (that's 2 1/2 days driving with two late night stops overnight) to Houston for the Offshore Technology Conference in which my Dad was attending.
Unfortunately, Cass had gotten sick shortly after we had left (the Sunday night after we had left) and her Lupus had given her pneumonia. We found out on a Wednesday night that she had been admitted to the hospital ER within 5min of arriving (she was blue at the time) and with that info, we started driving back to Calgary on a Thursday morning at 6am (took us 2hrs to leave Houston due to rush hour traffic) and we drove home in 42hrs straight (with a lot of drama in between including wicked thundershowers, tornadoes, and my Grandpa passing away while we were going through North Dakota) to make it in time to see Cass about an hour before she was to be put on a ventilator for what they thought at the time would be for 3 days.

Unfortunately, Mother's Day was the next day so we gave her lots of hugs and kisses and waited for her to recover. However, on Mother's Day I told by the ICU staff not to go anywhere that day from her side when I arrived at around 8am as Cass' lungs had pretty much totally filled with fluid and her oxygen levels were dropping fast and we weren't sure if she was going to live through the day.
Her lungs had filled with fluid that it actually left her scar tissue in her lungs we would find out after, it was very much touch and go all day. I stayed by her side all day & prayed to God for her, and by 11pm I was given the all clear that things had settled down and she was stable. 7 days later she would come off of the respirator & barring some really rare drug side effects, be with us again. I try to show her every day just how much she is loved and appreciated and especially Thank God for her! I really did use up all my good luck with just being with her and having her in my life.

So for this Mother's Day, spending it at Blue Bayou & in DL in general for the week, was a wonderful celebration and I would have to say, if Cass wanted to buy anything at all in the park at all it would be hers, even DVC if she wanted it ;)
All I can say is enjoy your moments, appreciate your family, you'll never know when you won't be seen again.

Rob, this post is so sweet! I've been following you all for years and I didn't know io this story. SO thankful Cass recovered! I just love her!

Last edited:

May 14th, Part 1

Our third park day started very cool and overcast once again!! :cool1: Like I said, perfect weather so far!

448.jpg

We met Rob down in our usual spot so they could eat their bagels. 🥯☕

449.jpg

Today's Extra Magic Hour at Disneyland was 8am, instead of the 7am it's been the last two days so we managed to get to the front gates right at 8. :thumbsup2

It took a few extra minutes to get through security because of that though.

450.jpg

Perfect timing!

451.jpg

452.jpg

Oh, we could see a little more of the top of the Castle!! :cool1:

453.jpg

We could see the roof and there was pixie dust all over it, nice!! 🌟✨

454.jpg

Our goal? Another journey into hyperspace of course! :woohoo:

455.jpg

456.jpg

457.jpg

This was such a fun ride! The Star Wars theme of it was a super big hit with this family! Man, when you round that first corner and the SW theme goes off!! :worship::worship::worship::love::love::love:

It's so engrossing that I always (except for our final ride on Thursday) forgot about the camera so I have the worst photo faces :rotfl2:

458.jpg

Next up was Star Tours since I had missed it the other day.

459.jpg

Hidden Mickey, I'm thinking?? :scratchin

460.jpg

Love this guy's lines :lmao:

461.jpg

Then a spin on Buzz!

462.jpg

Even the lights are themed here ::yes:: :smooth:

463.jpg

464.jpg

Walking across the hub, we went for a closer look at the Castle...so pretty!

466.jpg

Over into New Orleans Square, my favourite part of the entire park. :lovestruc

467.jpg

Look at those trees!! 😍

468.jpg

Time for a spin on my all-time fave...

469.jpg

I really love the outside of this one. 🥰

470.jpg

471.jpg

One of the two pet cemeteries, I don't think I've ever seen the other one with my own eyes though.

472.jpg

473.jpg

Two of the 17 candles in this room. 😉

474.jpg

We ended up getting stopped a few times on this ride and I took advantage of it by taking some photos. 😄 These are pretty good considering it's just an iPhone!

475.jpg

476.jpg

477.jpg

And of course, I always try to take photos of the Hat Box Ghost but sadly, with an iphone and moving so fast, they never come out well.

478.jpg

479.jpg

Phineas, Ezra & Gus! :hmghost:

480.jpg

Gus is coming home with me :earboy2:

481.jpg

482.jpg

Looks like Rob and Kira got Ezra :hmghost:

483.jpg

35 image limit. :smickey:

Sorry I'm late, but soooooooo excited about a new trip report! Can't wait to read more!
:worship:

Last edited:
Then we saw some of the props they used in Aladdin...

337.jpg

338.jpg
I loved the costumes in the movie - I'll need to stop into the exhibit to take a closer look!
Saw these and thought they were awesome! I even bought two of them and then got home and looked at them closer. I knew you had to build them but I did not realize how ridiculously hard it would be so I lovingly handed them off to Rob to build for me. :rolleyes1 :p
So, I'm an engineer and love models/legos, etc! But these are sooo hard! I have several sets that I've barely started!
Our third park day started very cool and overcast once again!! :cool1: Like I said, perfect weather so far!

448.jpg
With all the trees and Black Spire Outpost, it reminds me of Yavin 4!
Walking across the hub, we went for a closer look at the Castle...so pretty!

466.jpg
It's soooo gorgeous! I love the new colors!

HM rocks! Have you done it with the halloween overlay before? It's fantastic! I wonder why they don't do the overlay at HM in WDW?

Love your jacket....hey I have one just like it! hahaha

I also love that top you're wearing today. It really is slenderizing as well. I need about 12 please!

So glad your Mother’s Day was as awesome as you are. You truly deserve the best!

Next time you walk past Jiminy, slide him into your pocket for me. 😂

Dessert party looked amazing and the show afterwards....WOW!!!!

Loving your report and learning so much, thank you!! I definitely need that purple shirt and I must have that soup, it looks delicious. I didn't know the story about Ron and the tree, I found that so interesting! I will definitely be doing the WOC party on our next trip. Groot is absolutely adorable and I smile at every picture :)

May 14th, Part 2

Next up was our MP for Big Thunder and once again, I was admiring the gorgeous trees 😍

485.jpg

Then we headed over for our MP for Indy! This area is always crazy, busy and chaotic!!

486.jpg

I love that it says Indy Time :earboy2:

This is the Fast Pass line by the way :crazy2: Do you see that whole group of people on the right? They are just clumped together, waiting there. I think they were waiting until their FP time was up. Don't be those people. :rolleyes2

They were blocking the right hand side FP machine so we all had to scan on the left one, it took forever and it makes this line way bigger which then leads out to that small walkway and blocks people coming and going. :scared:

487.jpg

After Indy, we grabbed a table and I mobile ordered us some Bengal BBQ. We have never tried this place and people go on and on about it. It's not my type of food but I was willing to try all of it for the experience. Kira said she would nibble a bit too just to try.

488.jpg

489.jpg

490.jpg

We got the two beef skewers, the chicken and the safari plus the Tiger Tail breadstick.

491.jpg

492.jpg

493.jpg

Rob was excited, this food is right up his alley. :p

494.jpg

To be honest, I didn't care for it at all. The bread tasted stale, the chicken was too spicy for chicken me, the one beef was okay in flavour but tough to chew on and the other beef was gross. The one I thought I would like, the bacon-wrapped asparagus one was gross, the bacon was undercooked and gave it a gross flavour and texture. I basically had one small bite of each and decided it wasn't for me. Kira tried a little but didn't like it.

This, again, was basically a stop for Rob and he enjoyed it but said he wouldn't get it again. Maybe we caught them on a bad day? I don't know? :confused3 So many people love this place.

Now for mine and Kira's lunch! Back to Stage Door Cafe where we ordered a corn dog and chicken strips to split. Now this was up our alley :hyper::earboy2:

495.jpg

Then we headed over to our favourite hangout and got the pineapple and orange dole whips. 🤭

# 8 🍦 and # 9 🍦

This was just like the raspberry one in that it was good but it tasted so much better when you mixed it with the pineapple one. 😉

496.jpg

I love that the name pays tribute to an old refreshment place that used to be where Bengal BBQ is that was called Sunkist, I presume. This is what I love about Disneyland so much...the nostalgia factor and that they care so much about their history and although they continue to grow and change, they still take the time and the effort into incorporating something that was once there, even if most people don't realize it.

Also, if you look around, you will find the nests of all the headliner birds from Enchanted Tiki Room. The only one I couldn't find was Jose. I Googled it and found where it is but couldn't see his name.

497.jpg

498.jpg

After that, we headed over to Launch Bay to check that out. They had some really cute, albeit very expensive Star Wars-y clothes. Rob found this neat jacket and told Kira to try it on. She thought it was cool but it was soooo expensive, especially for a jacket she will soon outgrow. I'm pretty sure that if this jacket was in a Mens size, he would have bought it. LOL! He did try on a Poe Dameron inspired jacket but it was soooo pricey!

499.jpg

500.jpg

501.jpg

This place was awesome! We didn't wait to see any characters but we loved walking around.

This is where Kira kept losing Groot. He kept falling off her shoulder.

502.jpg

She hung onto him for the rest of the day, just in case 😆

503.jpg

It was time for a break now so we took the monorail back.

504.jpg

505.jpg

506.jpg

We had the entire back cabin to ourselves. :woohoo:

507.jpg

When we got back to the hotel, we had our one and only character encounter. :goofy:

508.jpg

509.jpg

510.jpg

511.jpg

I love how the characters interact with tiny babies as well as they do toddlers, teens or adults. ::yes::

I had asked Kira if she wanted to meet any other characters and she said no so Goofy was our one and only.

After our break at the hotel, we headed back to DCA, sans Groot. He was chillin' back in the room, for the rest of the trip I think because she was too afraid to lose him.

Next up? We had to see PhilharMagic, just because we can do that now as they just opened it here for the first time. :thumbsup2

It was good as always but it is better in WDW just because of the bigger screen and the multiple screens at MK.

512.jpg

Rob and Kira are always trying to give each other bunny ears :rotfl2: And they try to be super sneaky about it.

513.jpg

514.jpg

515.jpg

We walked the backlot just to see stuff. Mike & Sully ride had a very long line otherwise we would have ridden it.

The new Captain Marvel area...

516.jpg

Then we passed by this area and right in between Kira's two favourites....Captain America and Spidey. :charac4:

She has a crush on both (Chris Evans & Tom Holland) but she was too shy to go meet them so she stood right in the middle of them and gushed :earboy2:

She was crushed when she found out that Tom Holland had just been on this very spot, dressed up as Spiderman about a week before we got there! :laughing:

517.jpg

We perused Off the Page for quite a while as we had MP for Incredicoaster but it was currently down so we were passing time in the hope that it would open again soon.

518.jpg

I tell everyone that goes to Disney...always look up! Sometimes I forget to do this myself but this time I was rewarded :love:

519.jpg

Rob, thank you for sharing this story. So thankful Cass is okay and you could celebrate together! Life is precious

:grouphug:

Okay, all caught up! Looks like you are having a great time! I seem to miss out on some just do items for various reasons. It's great to see you really enjoying your Mother's Day! Can't believe Rob never gets tired of the Dole Whip after consuming so many :laughing:

What did you miss out on??

Nope, he loves him some Dole Whip! We all did actually because it was so refreshing and not heavy like ice cream can be. :thumbsup2

Rob, this post is so sweet! I've been following you all for years and I didn't know io this story. SO thankful Cass recovered! I just love her!

Awwww :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sorry I'm late, but soooooooo excited about a new trip report! Can't wait to read more!
:worship:

You're here! :woohoo: Perfect timing, still got lots of tales to tell :wave2:::yes::

I loved the costumes in the movie - I'll need to stop into the exhibit to take a closer look!

So, I'm an engineer and love models/legos, etc! But these are sooo hard! I have several sets that I've barely started!

With all the trees and Black Spire Outpost, it reminds me of Yavin 4!

It's soooo gorgeous! I love the new colors!

Yeah, like crazy hard!! Rob finished my Disneyland sign but I think he's going to take much longer on my castle :scared:

Hahaha! It totally does!! ::yes::

HM rocks! Have you done it with the halloween overlay before? It's fantastic! I wonder why they don't do the overlay at HM in WDW?

Yes, Rob and I have seen it, in 2004 I think it was? I'm not a Nightmare Before Xmas fan so I don't like it one bit. :crazy2:

Love your jacket....hey I have one just like it! hahaha

I also love that top you're wearing today. It really is slenderizing as well. I need about 12 please!

Ha! Imagine that! :groom: It's still me fave! :love:

HAHA! The cruise one? I don't think it's slenderizing at all but if you think so. 🤭 I have so many cruise shirts that I rarely wear. They are just big, baggy, unisex tees. I wish they had more woman's tees, especially v necks! Even in Disneyland, all I saw were the basic, square tees. I saw exactly two v-necks and both of them were white. 🤐

So glad your Mother’s Day was as awesome as you are. You truly deserve the best!

Next time you walk past Jiminy, slide him into your pocket for me. 😂

Dessert party looked amazing and the show afterwards....WOW!!!!

LOL! Okay, I will do my best for you 😜

I wish you were with us, they have GF options too. 😉

Loving your report and learning so much, thank you!! I definitely need that purple shirt and I must have that soup, it looks delicious. I didn't know the story about Ron and the tree, I found that so interesting! I will definitely be doing the WOC party on our next trip. Groot is absolutely adorable and I smile at every picture :)

Thanks! :hug:

Glad you're learning lots. It's the whole reason I read trip reports, I always learn so much! :goodvibes

This is the Fast Pass line by the way :crazy2: Do you see that whole group of people on the right? They are just clumped together, waiting there. I think they were waiting until their FP time was up. Don't be those people. :rolleyes2
Seriously :furious:
This, again, was basically a stop for Rob and he enjoyed it but said he wouldn't get it again. Maybe we caught them on a bad day? I don't know? :confused3 So many people love this place.
That's too bad. I do love Bengal BBQ, but you know, everyone has different tastes! At least now you know not to both returning!
She thought it was cool but it was soooo expensive, especially for a jacket she will soon outgrow. I'm pretty sure that if this jacket was in a Mens size, he would have bought it. LOL! He did try on a Poe Dameron inspired jacket but it was soooo pricey!

499.jpg

500.jpg

501.jpg
It does look pretty awesome on her! But yeah, probably too expensive for a growing girl!
When we got back to the hotel, we had our one and only character encounter. :goofy:

508.jpg
Only one! Far cry from your previous WDW trips!

So funny, just before I read this latest installment I was wondering how Groot was fairing and if he had fallen off at all :rotfl2: Spooky timing - I'm IN YOUR HEAD Cass :oops:

Funny in all our trips we've never tried Bengal ....have to say after your 'rave' review I think we'll give it a miss! lol

Indy is always such a cluster at the entrance....jeez people, you have a return time for a reason so just bugger off and come back when it's your time!!! Standing there, blocking the FP line is not going to make your time come up any faster!

Gawarsh, those are some cute Goofy pics :goofy:

May 14th, Part 3

This was also something Rob had his eye on. We almost bought it too but the box that it came in was super huge! It would have taken up half of one of our large suitcases and we didn't have that kind of extra room. :scared:

520.jpg

We waited a bit to see if Incredicoaster would open but it didn't so we moved on.

521.jpg

522.jpg

523.jpg

Time for Rob's dinner!

524.jpg

525.jpg
Now this was a chicken dinner!!! :love: I had a few bites, just to test it out for him, you know. :rolleyes1

526.jpg

This place is so pretty but zero freaking Wi-Fi. GRRRR 😠

527.jpg

Back over to DCA now, passed this cute sign.

528.jpg

529.jpg

We decided to head over to Incredicoaster, Kira was itching to go on it by now. We started to see them test trains so we figured it would open soon. Eventually they had everyone form a line and we quickly joined it.

530.jpg

The line went really fast and we were on in less than 10 minutes.

531.jpg

We were supposed to make angry faces, apparently Kira was not into that :p

532.jpg

Then we used our MP for a second whirl. :thumbsup2

Double sneaky bunny ears :rotfl2:

534.jpg

I don't even know what we were doing here??? :rotfl:

533.jpg

We could see the trains they were working on, which I thought was kind of neat.

535.jpg

And then afterwards, we got a cookie num-num!

536.jpg

Expensive but delicious!! :love:

537.jpg

Rob enjoying it a little too much, I think :lmao:

538.jpg

539.jpg

Here is a better look at where the World of Color Dessert Package tables are located...

540.jpg

Back to Disneyland we go...hop..hop!

541.jpg

542.jpg

543.jpg

It was time for Kira and I to eat and we were hankering for some chicken strips. I was also hankering to get out of the crowds a bit so this was perfect! Inside the Golden Horseshoe, there is a second story where you can go that is relatively quiet. Rob and Kira grabbed a table right above me and I got our dinner.

Once again....no wi-fi! GRRRR!!! 🤬

544.jpg

Yum!

545.jpg

Love this logo...

546.jpg

We had MP now for Big Thunder and it was awesome riding it at night! Definitely my favourite time to ride this ride. Also, it was a great view of Black Spire at night, which is all lit up in gorgeous blues! :goodvibes

547.jpg

We wanted a photo of the not-yet-open entrance to Galaxy's Edge. We went up to the door and we could hear the background music they play. 🥰

Next time we are back, this area and this land will be a zoo! But we are soooo looking forward to it. Need to save our pennies!! ::yes::

548.jpg

I wanted to ride all of the dark rides in Fantasyland but Kira was not having it. 😣 Fine, we are riding one of them at least and I told her she could pick it. She picked none so I told her okay, then it's my choice and I chose Mr. Toad's! 😜

549.jpg

550.jpg

551.jpg

552.jpg

A lady in line just ahead of us had on the brightest running shoes I have ever seen. 😝

553.jpg

We stopped at Snow White's Wishing Well and Kira wished to come back to Disneyland so she could ride Incredicoaster for another five days straight. 🥰😍

554.jpg

Last edited:
Finally caught back up!

What a wonderful post by your DH. Mother's Day is very special indeed. I'm sorry you didn't like Bengal BBQ...its one of my favorites but you can never go wrong with a corn dog!

Jill in CO

May 14th, Part 4

We were wandering slowly towards Main Street USA so we could grab a spot to watch Mickey's Mix Magic.

555.jpg

556.jpg

Can I just say how I love that they use gas lamps on Main Street? :worship:

I googled it and found out they are over 200 years old. Disneyland designer Emile Kuri bought the antique lamps as scrap metal for super cheap back in 1955.

557.jpg

558.jpg

Just before it began, they let us stand in the middle of the street and we grabbed a prime spot right at one of the ropes, so no one was immediately in front of us.

But just a few people behind us. :rolleyes1

559.jpg

The show began and I thought it was the perfect spot to watch both the fireworks and the projections. You had to turn around though.

560.jpg

561.jpg

562.jpg

563.jpg

564.jpg

565.jpg

566.jpg

567.jpg

568.jpg

I love this part!! :earboy2:

569.jpg

570.jpg

This show is just awesome!! I am so glad we had a few opportunities to see it, we really loved it! :woohoo:

We had a MP for Matterhorn, so we headed on over there...

Mickey Monorail!!

571.jpg

572.jpg

We asked to ride the other side so that we had both experiences. Gotta say, I really liked it at night. I don't know why, I just enjoyed it much better at night. You also get a good view of Galaxy's Edge all lit up from this side. :thumbsup2

573.jpg

That was it for us that night! We were exhausted after another long, fun day at the parks. We walked back to our hotel and passed out. :faint::laughing:

Looks like you all have are having an absolute blast!!!

You are making me want to go to Disneyland now. :p

Loved this balloon pic, Cass. That's my future job at WDW....A Balloon Lady! I want to sell balloons all day long! :love:

Those Firework pics! OMG!!!!!!

I know what you were doing here! You were doing a "Kira"! :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!