Cashing in coins?

We save all our coins in a big glass jar. Normally we cash out every year for spending money on vacations. Haven't needed to do this the past few years as we had money set aside, so decided to just keep saving until the jar was full. It is now full. Weighed it this weekend and it was 74 pounds.. Our bank is going to love us... (pretty sure I will make DH go).

Hi, not sure where you bank, but our bank ( big name bank) does not take loose change, you have to roll it or they will not take it.

The OP is from Australia, so unless they bank with someone who has a US branch, they won't be able to just walk into a US bank to exchange coins.

Most banks require you have an account to hand in coins. Whether or not it needs to be rolled seems to vary by bank.

Seems like a great time to start collecting pressed pennies. The people at gift shops will happily turn those dimes and nickels into quarters so you can use the machines.

I thought they were starting to change the pressed penny system. I found a story but i know I can’t post a link to that website.

How about using just a few of the coins every time you make a cash purchase?

This way you will start to dissipate your coin hoard as opposed to adding more to it but not dropping a pile on the counter for the cashier to count and slow down the waiting line with..

We save all our coins in a big glass jar. Normally we cash out every year for spending money on vacations. Haven't needed to do this the past few years as we had money set aside, so decided to just keep saving until the jar was full. It is now full. Weighed it this weekend and it was 74 pounds.. Our bank is going to love us... (pretty sure I will make DH go).
None on the banks in my area have coin counting machines. One bank did but the branches had to remove them because they weren’t counting accurately. For the banks you normally have to roll the coins and put your account number on each roll

Writing you account number on a roll of coins seems like a bad idea and not something I would do. My bank doesn't require that, but they won't take loose coins, they have to be in a coin folder for easier handling and you must have an account.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!