Cashing in coins?

nikkita

Mouseketeer
Not sure which forum this should be on....

We have a ton of US coins from previous trips (hubby is a bit of a hoarder at times).

Wondering if there is anywhere in LAX or MCO where we can easily switch/cash in for notes instead?

there are change machines in many places-you could check to see if either airport has any on their websites. be aware though-you do get charged a percentage of the amount cashed in.

There are some bank branches in bigger airports - don't know if LAX or MCO have them but I would think they would. I also do not know if they would help with something like this if you do not have an account with them.

Once out of the airport supermarkets and Walmart usually have the coin machines where you can get cash or gift cards.

I don’t know of any bank that will take coins from non customers, my bank only lets you do it once a year. I take mine to a local supermarket that has a coin machine and opt for an amazon gc to avoid the fees.

I know there are some coinstar machines that give you the option to redeem a target gift card where then you can redeem a Disney gift card. There is one close to me where they had Disney gift cards. Not checked in a while but that may be an option to avoid the fees.

I know there are some coinstar machines that give you the option to redeem a target gift card where then you can redeem a Disney gift card. There is one close to me where they had Disney gift cards. Not checked in a while but that may be an option to avoid the fees.

You haven't been able to buy Disney gc with a target gc for about a year or so now.

You haven't been able to buy Disney gc with a target gc for about a year or so now.
The one near me you can. I know you can’t with merchandise credit but last week I was able to buy a Disney gift card with a target gift card

The one near me you can. I know you can’t with merchandise credit but last week I was able to buy a Disney gift card with a target gift card
Was that your entire order, just a Disney GC and you pay for it completely with a Target GC? The majority of Target's are hardcoded to not allow a straight purchase like that per their policy change last year. I see instances where some random Targets didn't get the full update it seems, but it's the exception rather than the norm. All mine got the update to align with the new policy, so that if you try to pay with a GC the register stops it, and if you try to buy a GC and other merchandise the register will let you pay for the other merch with the Target GC but ask for another form of payment for the amount of the GC.

Wondering if there is anywhere in LAX or MCO where we can easily switch/cash in for notes instead?

Since the OP is from outside the US, I would think your best option at an airport is to use the larger coins (i.e. quarter or 1/2 dollar) to purchase something at a gift shop or one of those food kiosks. Smaller denominations are probably more trouble then they are worth. If they have any currency exchange places, you might also ask there. If the coins are in rolls, they are probably more likely to accept them, but depends on local practice.

While in the US, many grocery stores as well as Walmarts typically have self-serve checkout aisles where you can pay using coins. This works best when they aren't busy, so you can feed in the coins. This way you get full value for the coins vs. those change machines that typically charge a fee.

Was that your entire order, just a Disney GC and you pay for it completely with a Target GC? The majority of Target's are hardcoded to not allow a straight purchase like that per their policy change last year. I see instances where some random Targets didn't get the full update it seems, but it's the exception rather than the norm. All mine got the update to align with the new policy, so that if you try to pay with a GC the register stops it, and if you try to buy a GC and other merchandise the register will let you pay for the other merch with the Target GC but ask for another form of payment for the amount of the GC.
My total was around $95 which $50 was a Disney gift card. I used a $100 target card

We save all our coins in a big glass jar. Normally we cash out every year for spending money on vacations. Haven't needed to do this the past few years as we had money set aside, so decided to just keep saving until the jar was full. It is now full. Weighed it this weekend and it was 74 pounds.. Our bank is going to love us... (pretty sure I will make DH go).

My total was around $95 which $50 was a Disney gift card. I used a $100 target card
Hm, unicorn, nice :)

I noticed at least one of my Targets they have a new system - but not all of the registers have it so it seems like a trial or something - so I might try again, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Not sure which forum this should be on....

We have a ton of US coins from previous trips (hubby is a bit of a hoarder at times).

There's a bank branch for SunTrust in MCO I think, but you might want to call to see if they'll take coins from a non-customer, and if so if there's any fees (or see if it's even still there). Mostly at airports you find currency exchange stores but it's foreign currency for US (and vice versa). You might have better luck exchanging it outside of the airport, but that's mostly the coin machines at grocery stores that has been mentioned.

Generally, you're more likely to find folks at the airport trying to break notes into coins for machines than the other way around. If they have a lot of coins, they will get deposited into a bank account or use the coin machines at the grocery store, but not generally take them to an airport with them. I guess it can't hurt to ask at the foreign currency exchanges to see if they'll do it but I don't see much business appeal for them. If it's a small amount I'd probably just figure out how to spend it during the next trips. (I'm still working on our small stash of Euro coins. Fortunately in Canada the currency exchange took coins so I was able to convert all of our CAD into USD at the end of that trip)

Thanks for the tips everyone

I'm thinking its probably just best to try and spend them if we can, rather than loose due to fees

I've seperated them into dimes/quarters and penny/nickels
🤔

I think I'm over thinking this too much lol
I think you are probably overthinking this. How much are we really talking here? I would just try spending them in the parks. You can bring a bit each day.

Thanks for the tips everyone

I'm thinking its probably just best to try and spend them if we can, rather than loose due to fees

I've seperated them into dimes/quarters and penny/nickels
🤔

I think I'm over thinking this too much lol

How much is there in coins? Easy to spend at WDW. Heck maybe you can buy a disney gift card with all the coins!

How much are you planning to use at any one transaction? The people waiting in line behind you might not be thrilled about waiting while you pay with pennies and nickels. Just saying.

I hate how much coin star charges, just give rge bag to the hotel tell them to apply to my account. Or when or if you go to a U.S. store use the bag to pay for your items at one time so you dont have to drag it around. We give all our change to our kids so they are normally the ones cashing in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter