• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cars & car seats

PoohBears#1fan

DIS Veteran
I've just been told that the larger American hire cars have 2 child seats fitted in them which apparently can work out cheaper to upgrade to these cars than it is to hire baby seats.

However, I've looked on the Dollar and Avis website and can't find anything to confirm this, does anyone know if this is true?

THanks

I've only ever seen integrated child safety seats in mini-vans. When we were shopping for a minivan in 2000, it seemed that it was an "option" (i.e. not standard equipment) from most manufacturers. We bought an upgrade package which did include the child safety seat.

I would imagine that car rental companies would not necessarily have the integrated seats in all mini vans (or SUVs, large cars, etc.). You might do best to contact the rental company directly and see if they do get cars with this option, and if so, can you specifically reserve it through them.

--Kathy

I am looking into this myself. I have called all the car rental companies, and the majority of the agents with whom I have spoken to do not know what an "integrated car seat" is.

I was told by the car rental agents to call the location at which I'll be renting to find out about their minivans and whether they would have the integrated car seats. When I called, I was put on hold, or the customer service person wasn't available, etc. I basically got nowhere. Very frustrating.

However, I do know that they exist in the rental minivans. An acquaintance of ours went to DL in April and got a minivan that had them. FYI, they are typically in Dodge Caravans.

poohbear, you sound english. Are you flying to orlando? bring your own carseat and use it on the plane.

Thanks everyone,

Apparently the integrated seats are child seats, rather than baby seats, so we'll either be renting a baby seat when we get there OR checking our own into the hold with the suitcases.

Stacey, we can't use the car seat on the plane unfortunately as that would be a much easier option, to do that we'd have to purchase a plane seat for our baby (who'll be 5 months old if he arrives on time) and you can't purchase seats for babies less than 5 months old - grrr! Thanks for the suggestion though, that would be so much easier if we could as the seat would them fit onto the pushchair chassis - ah well

Hi PoohBear,

I went to the chat at the Dollar website today, to ask about car seats, and got an instant reply (they told me that they charge and addtional 5.99 per day for a toddler seat.), maybe you can ask your question there?

The built in seats are for forward facing children, not infants and the only vehicles I know for sure that they are available for are the mini-vans (Chevy's and Pontiacs for sure, not sure about the others) As far as the vehicles having them, they are standard on some models, but it would be hit or miss as to if the agency carried that model and if they do if they had one on the lot at the time you rent. The only car I can recall them being in was I think the Dodge Intrepid and that was a few years ago. I haven't seen any cars since with them in. I would not count on their being one in the vehicle. Also, even if there is your child might not like it. My DD had to ride in one for a few miles (she got sick all over her carseat) and she HATED it the whole time. She was 2 1/2 at the time and very vocal about her dislike of the seat. If it were me, I would bring my own, you know it's history, some of the rentals do not seem very nice at all.

Also, did they tell you why they won't let you buy a seat for a child under 5mo old? I never knew any airlines did that, I would think they would want to sell you a seat for your little one. Of course, I don't fly much, nor have I ever flown with a child that young.

I have always purchased a seat for my daughter, starting when she was 2 months old. We used her car seat (rear facing) and she was very comfortable on the plane. The US FAA has stated that a child is safer traveling in their own, restrained seat. In fact, every airline we've flown has offered us Emma's ticket for half of whatever fare we paid (including tourist "cheap" fares). You should call the airline again and check. On this issue (and a LONG flight from the UK) I wouldn't take "no" for an answer! Good luck.

The OP is from the UK. I'm guessing that other rules may apply, since they are not governed by our FAA.

However, I'm in agreement with you 100% that infants should be restrained on a plane, and have purchased a seat for my DD who will be 11 mo. on our trip.

Hi FooFoo,

I completely agree with you, unfortunately the body that governs our UK airlines doesn't and they won't sell us a seat for a baby under 6 months! (goodness knows why!)

I won't even begin to go into the hassle we're having trying to secure a sky cot also - they won't confirm one until we have a date of birth (baby not due till December, won't accept a date thats in the future) because the flight is nearly full apparently our chances of getting one then are zero. Excellent.

Not particularly happy with the airlines and their rules as you can probably gather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter