CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant last comment :thumbsup2

Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure it will be pretty close to that. I'd love to see Kong and Galaxy again, and want to see Pirates.

I loved La La Land, Beauty & the Beast and Arrival. I would also recommend those three.

I loved La La Land, Beauty & the Beast and Arrival. I would also recommend those three.

We've seen 2 of the 3 -- have to see La La Land. Have seen Galaxy, but would see it again.

Just repeating from previous post: anyone know where I can see current menus for Carnival Sunshine?

Thanks -- but I don't see anything for the Sunshine.

The only way to get actual menus for your sailing would be if someone posted them on CC. Carnival just rotates their general menu adding in the Port of Call food to each one. The menus follow the same pattern on all the ships.

The only way to get actual menus for your sailing would be if someone posted them on CC. Carnival just rotates their general menu adding in the Port of Call food to each one. The menus follow the same pattern on all the ships.

Thanks. At least I can get an idea.

If you are on FB, most ships have their own fanpage or group... It's crazy the amount of infos I get from there.

Thanks. I don't do well on Facebook -- and tried to find menus but had no luck. There are too many Carnival references!

Aren't they all the same though? "American table?"

I don't visit FB often because I stink at navigating it LOL. I found some menus after searching American Table, so it gives me an idea. I also found an article that says once they started introducing this in 2013, 50% of the passengers don't like it because they don't find enough to choose from that they like. That's fine with us -- there's always the buffet ;)

I don't visit FB often because I stink at navigating it LOL. I found some menus after searching American Table, so it gives me an idea. I also found an article that says once they started introducing this in 2013, 50% of the passengers don't like it because they don't find enough to choose from that they like. That's fine with us -- there's always the buffet ;)

We aren't fans of American Table. On our last cruise we ate mostly appetizers and then went to the buffet for dessert. On our cruise next summer we are for the first time spending money on specialty restaurants for a couple of nights. I hate to do it but it looks like they are forcing our hand. I don't care for the buffet either.

We aren't fans of American Table. On our last cruise we ate mostly appetizers and then went to the buffet for dessert. On our cruise next summer we are for the first time spending money on specialty restaurants for a couple of nights. I hate to do it but it looks like they are forcing our hand. I don't care for the buffet either.

I'm disappointed that some of these lines now are charging a room service fee for anything other than Continental breakfast.

Worst case scenario, the menu is always pinned outside the MDR each day so you can go and see what's for dinner a few hours in advance and decide if you want to go or not. :)

Also, it's a Funship 2.0... You'll have plenty of options if you don't go in the MDR.

DH and I will most likely not attend the MDR much during our upcoming cruise.

Worst case scenario, the menu is always pinned outside the MDR each day so you can go and see what's for dinner a few hours in advance and decide if you want to go or not. :)

Also, it's a Funship 2.0... You'll have plenty of options if you don't go in the MDR.

DH and I will most likely not attend the MDR much during our upcoming cruise.

We have changed our routine quite drastically in the last few years -- and tend to favor the buffet or room service or on deck options -- especially on port intensive cruises when we're just too tired to go to the MDR. On our 12-night British Isles cruise on Princess, we never visited the MDR. We would get back from the port, go to the buffet (souvenirs and all) and then go back to our room to collapse LOL. But then again, they had the best buffet I've ever had on any cruise ;)

Here are some changes due to the damages of Hurricane Irma and in prevision of Hurricane Maria (source: www.carnival.com)

ITINERARY UPDATES 9/20/2017 – 11:00 AM (EDT)

Carnival Fascination – September 24

We continue to monitor Hurricane Maria and will confirm our itinerary once the post storm assessment has been completed. To stay up to date, please text CCL1 to CRUISE (278473)..

As a result of damage caused by Hurricane Irma, we have modified the following itineraries in order to provide our guests with the best possible shore experience.

Carnival Ecstasy – September 20

Departing Charleston on a 5 day cruise to Nassau and Freeport.

Carnival Sensation – September 21

Departing Miami on a 4 day cruise to Cozumel.

Carnival Splendor – September 23

Departing Port Everglades on a 7 day cruise to Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay and Grand Cayman.

Carnival Vista – September 23

Departing Miami on an 8 day cruise to La Romana, D.R., Aruba and Curacao.

Carnival Conquest – September 24

Departing Port Everglades on a 6 day cruise to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Carnival Magic – September 24

Departing Port Canaveral on a 6 day cruise to Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya.

Carnival Pride – September 24

Departing Baltimore on a 7 day cruise to Half Moon Cay, Nassau and Freeport.

Carnival Paradise – September 25

Departing Tampa on a 5 day cruise for an overnight stay in Havana.

Carnival Victory – September 25

Departing Miami on a 4 day cruise to Cozumel.

Carnival Glory – September 30

Departing Miami on a 7 day cruise to Half Moon Cay, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Carnival Sensation – September 30

Departing Miami on a 5 day cruise to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Freeport.

Carnival Splendor – September 30

Departing Port Everglades on an 8 day cruise to Princess Cays, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Carnival Pride – October 1

Departing Baltimore on a 7 day cruise to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Freeport.

Pre-purchased Carnival Adventures for cancelled ports, as well as any taxes, fees and port expenses will be refunded to your onboard Sail & Sign account. An email with detailed itinerary information will be sent to all guests scheduled to sail on these cruises. We sincerely apologize for the disruption the recent storms have caused and look forward to welcoming our guests on board.

At this time, all other future cruises will depart as scheduled.

I just got another survey from DCL. They asked what cruiselines I had sailed and then I had to rate them compared to DCL. They asked about service, food, entertainment etc compared to DCL. I don't remember that on the last survey. They did ask my income, but they didn't ask about savings and investments this time.

I just got another survey from DCL. They asked what cruiselines I had sailed and then I had to rate them compared to DCL. They asked about service, food, entertainment etc compared to DCL. I don't remember that on the last survey. They did ask my income, but they didn't ask about savings and investments this time.
That doesn't surprise me at all. I think people are starting to see how overpriced DCL is compared with other options. I for one put in a letter to them how far behind other cruise lines they are especially when price is considered. Their product is stale and their pricing strategy is ridiculous. They have a retail price which they convince a minority to pay and then they fill their ships with people from the travel industry and cast members. I have been on a couple of cruises with them where it seemed like the vast majority of customers on board were cast members. Well, they are finding fewer people who will pay retail, as seen this summer where they sold off the southern Caribbean cruises with interline rates. How dumb. If they had just sold them at a competitive rate to begin with they would have actually made more money.

Last edited:

Interesting. I wish I had received that survey.

I gave the last touch to our itinerary last night (using old Fun Times) and when it comes to entertainment only, this reaffirmed my feeling that Carnival is once again going to give us --DH and I-- more bang for our bucks. Now I can't wait to experience the amenities and the food on the Vista and compare again.

I wish I could modify my original comparison and compare the Victory with the Wonder (now that I have experimented the Wonder in April), and then the Dream with the Vista. That being said, I believe I could simply post a new review (comparing the Wonder with the Victory) before I leave... And then do a Dream vs Vista comparison when I come back.

I never get one of these surveys -- and I've sailed 10 times!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!