CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's easy to eat there and not have spicy at all. JiJi's was by far our favourite restaurant at sea. My mother considers pepper (like salt and pepper) too spicy and she had no issues. They were also very accommodating and offered to adjust any of the spicy dishes to a non-spicy version. Its very flavourful but it doesn't have to be hot.

Thanks so much. I have read a lot of great reviews for this restaurant. I only wanted to pay for one, and didn't care about the steakhouse (we have plenty of great ones around us already), but I love good Asian food. The Tamarind on HAL was extraordinary also.

Thanks so much. I have read a lot of great reviews for this restaurant. I only wanted to pay for one, and didn't care about the steakhouse (we have plenty of great ones around us already), but I love good Asian food. The Tamarind on HAL was extraordinary also.
You may already know this but JiJi's is free for lunch. It's not the same menu, it's fast casual stir fry and it's fantastic!!

Cucina del Capitano is also free for lunch (reduced menu as well... From what I heard it's a kind of make-your-own-pasta).

Cucina del Capitano is also free for lunch (reduced menu as well... From what I heard it's a kind of make-your-own-pasta).

Geez, you are a wealth of knowledge for this. You could do a whole thread on just tips and ideas for a Carnival cruise :thumbsup2 Thanks again. I will try both of these places. Do you by any chance know if they are open for lunch on port days?

Geez, you are a wealth of knowledge for this. You could do a whole thread on just tips and ideas for a Carnival cruise :thumbsup2 Thanks again. I will try both of these places. Do you by any chance know if they are open for lunch on port days?

You read my mind. I was actually starting to think about making a post with tips and put the link on the first page.

I believe they are open for lunch every day... While Pig & Anchor is open on sea day only.

They are open everyday, including embarkation day, JiJi's tends to fill up a lot faster than Cucina, both are pretty empty the day you board because everyone is at Lido, Guys or Blue Iguana

They are open everyday, including embarkation day, JiJi's tends to fill up a lot faster than Cucina, both are pretty empty the day you board because everyone is at Lido, Guys or Blue Iguana

That's so great that so many of Carnival's restaurants are open on embarkation day. I hate having to only depend on the buffet!

You read my mind. I was actually starting to think about making a post with tips and put the link on the first page.

I believe they are open for lunch every day... While Pig & Anchor is open on sea day only.

Yes - JiJi's Mongolian Wok and Cucina's pasta bar are both open every day for lunch.

Pictures of the pasta creations for lunch at Cucina's - basically you pick your pasta, pick your sauce, pick your add ins (meats and veggies) and they make it for you. They also have Caesar salad, rolls (to die for soft ones), and lasagna (which isn't a traditional lasagna - it's made with shredded beef and some extra veggies like yams and spinach).

I'm drooling. It looks amazing. Does it taste as good as it looks?

I wonder if Jiji is as good as Chopsticks (Carnival Victory). I ate chinese food for lunch every day. :rotfl2:

Oooooohhhhh....I did not know Carnival Vista is coming to Galveston! I live less than 30 minutes from there!!!!!
I'm happy about that. I live in Arizona. We've cruised on the Wonder a few times out of Galveston. It's so much easier and cheaper then flying to Florida. The Vista is taking over the Breeze's Honduras/Belize/Cozumel itinerary. I'm kind of over the Caribbean, but two of those ports I have not been to. I'm sure we'll be on one those cruises next Fall.

Oooooohhhhh....I did not know Carnival Vista is coming to Galveston! I live less than 30 minutes from there!!!!!

Yes, Carnival keeps it's second newest ship in Galveston - It got the Magic when the Breeze came out; then the Breeze when the Vista came out; and once the Horizon sails, then the Vista goes to Galveston.

I'm happy about that. I live in Arizona. We've cruised on the Wonder a few times out of Galveston. It's so much easier and cheaper then flying to Florida. The Vista is taking over the Breeze's Honduras/Belize/Cozumel itinerary. I'm kind of over the Caribbean, but two of those ports I have not been to. I'm sure we'll be on one those cruises next Fall.

I feel the same way about the Caribbean -- mixed feelings about spending money to go again, but there are several ports we have not been to and would like to see, and only a couple I would repeat (St. Lucia being one of them). Unfortunately a lot of the itineraries include some of the ports we haven't seen, but then include St. Thomas, St. Maartin, San Juan -- all of which we've done to death. Still looking for that perfect itinerary blend.

I guess I'm just getting started with the caribbean. I went to the Bahamas four times (not by choice). I'm doing Jamaica-Cayman Island-Cozumel (Mexico) in October... But I would love to see Key West, Grand Turk, Aruba, Curaçao and Tortola too.

We are booked for the Bermuda and we are talking about Alaska in 2019 and Canada & New England with the family at some point just because the ship would depart (or arrive) in Montreal (home) or Quebec (not far from here).

I guess I'm just getting started with the caribbean. I went to the Bahamas four times (not by choice). I'm doing Jamaica-Cayman Island-Cozumel (Mexico) in October... But I would love to see Key West, Grand Turk, Aruba, Curaçao and Tortola too.

We are booked for the Bermuda and we are talking about Alaska in 2019 and Canada & New England with the family at some point just because the ship would depart (or arrive) in Montreal (home) or Quebec (not far from here).

STILL never got to Key West. It was part of our Magic itinerary in 2004, but we were outrunning Hurricane Frances and had to skip it. Cozumel was great with the Tulum Ruins and loved Grand Cayman. Don't care to visit Jamaica, but would love to see Aruba, Tortola, Grand Turk and St. Kitts.

We are booked for the Bermuda and we are talking about Alaska in 2019 and Canada & New England with the family at some point just because the ship would depart (or arrive) in Montreal (home) or Quebec (not far from here).[/ are more that I haven't seen, but they all kind of look a like after a while.
I would love to go to Bermuda. All the good cruises on DCL are in the Fall next year.

Coming back from "almost back to back" trips to NYC and Niagara Falls/Toronto...

Our next adventure will be our October cruise on the Carnival Vista.

Can't wait. I'll be starting a countdown as soon as I get home!

I wish they would have a ship in Europe every Summer.

They have the 3rd, and last, Vista Class due March 2019. I am super crossing fingers they stay in Europe for the summer. Otherwise, we will be looking at another line because we are celebrating big birthdays and not putting it off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!