CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super bummed this week. We were supposed to be in WDW for Halloween. And instead I'm sitting in my office while it pours rain outside. At this point I'm just crossing my fingers that we will be able to sail to Alaska next year. It's in September, so I have high hopes, and I feel like if we aren't sailing by then, we probably have bigger things to worry about.

DH & I are trying to get to California for Christmas to see my family. We live in NY so we are kind of at the mercy of our state quarantine list, which changes every week. So we could literally get up to the week before we are supposed to fly, California gets put on our quarantine list, and we get screwed. Everything is just so uncertain right now.

But if we do get to Cali AND Disneyland is open, we are absolutely making a trip down. It's a lot of ifs, but I'll be super determined to get there, especially because we've never been. Fingers crossed!
Good luck! My dad is going to fly here to TN from Las Vegas and we hope the airlines are still keeping the middle seat open but with peak travel not sure. He lives alone and doesn't go out much so hopefully we are all ok virus-wise.

I hope you make it to DL. My niece has chosen that as her HS graduation trip! She said it was her biggest dream to go to Disneyland (weird). She has actually been but was under 2 so I guess it doesn't count.

Super bummed this week. We were supposed to be in WDW for Halloween. And instead I'm sitting in my office while it pours rain outside. At this point I'm just crossing my fingers that we will be able to sail to Alaska next year. It's in September, so I have high hopes, and I feel like if we aren't sailing by then, we probably have bigger things to worry about.

DH & I are trying to get to California for Christmas to see my family. We live in NY so we are kind of at the mercy of our state quarantine list, which changes every week. So we could literally get up to the week before we are supposed to fly, California gets put on our quarantine list, and we get screwed. Everything is just so uncertain right now.

But if we do get to Cali AND Disneyland is open, we are absolutely making a trip down. It's a lot of ifs, but I'll be super determined to get there, especially because we've never been. Fingers crossed!

I hope you will be able to do your Christmas trip.

p.s.: Just heard Disney laid off 28,000 employees. Never thought I’d see that happen.

And I guess I would have gotten a better "deal" if I had waited to cancel my Horizon Dec cruise... but I'm still ok with it. I didn't want to have to PIF and they didn't seem receptive to moving that date.

I am hopeful that sailings will resume before the end of the year, if only so we can all see how it goes (I have no intention of going myself, but that's also because Canada still has the 2 week isolation upon return and the border isn't open yet).

I'm not surprised, but I am glad to see they are holding out a few sailings just in case. Obviously, ships will eventually sail, and no matter what, those first trips are going to be extremely important tests with the guests essentially being lab rats (do not mean that in a negative way!). Will sailing in December of 2020 really be that different than February or March 2021? We most likely won't have a widespread vaccine or herd immunity by then, so if given the opportunity, would it be better to start sailing ASAP to try to get any new protocols established?

I'm not surprised, but I am glad to see they are holding out a few sailings just in case. Obviously, ships will eventually sail, and no matter what, those first trips are going to be extremely important tests with the guests essentially being lab rats (do not mean that in a negative way!). Will sailing in December of 2020 really be that different than February or March 2021? We most likely won't have a widespread vaccine or herd immunity by then, so if given the opportunity, would it be better to start sailing ASAP to try to get any new protocols established?

Passengers could be part of a study.

I woke up to "the news" (!) this morning. Expecting this to be a major game changer that could affect pretty much everything one way or another.

Thinking about all of you, neighbours.

Carnival has announced some of the safety measures that will be implemented when they start sailing again from the US:

Thoughts?

Definitely makes me hopeful but I’d like some more details! Where and when are face masks required, what’s the protocol for testing and temperature checks, what happens if someone were to get sick, etc.

And I see it mentioned cruise line only excursions, which I wondered if they would go that route. I don’t disagree with that, but it might affect what we do at port. I would hope that any excursion financially helps out the island/port in some way though. Although who knows what ports will actually be open in the beginning. I wouldn’t be surprised at a private island only itinerary.

I do appreciate these small updates though. I feel like CCL is the only one really providing them. Haven’t really seen anything from DCL or anyone else.

Definitely makes me hopeful but I’d like some more details! Where and when are face masks required, what’s the protocol for testing and temperature checks, what happens if someone were to get sick, etc.

And I see it mentioned cruise line only excursions, which I wondered if they would go that route. I don’t disagree with that, but it might affect what we do at port. I would hope that any excursion financially helps out the island/port in some way though. Although who knows what ports will actually be open in the beginning. I wouldn’t be surprised at a private island only itinerary.

I do appreciate these small updates though. I feel like CCL is the only one really providing them. Haven’t really seen anything from DCL or anyone else.

Yeah, its definitely nice to see at least a small update from CCL, wish DCL would do more they did not have a "pandemic plan" on the shelf to throw out there in mid march when the world changed, but really wish there was more stuff from DCL during these times.

To me, that whole video just seemed like fluff. It basically said we are looking forward to having you back on board, safety is our priority, and here are protcols you can expect onboard, which is essentially CLIA's protocols put into video form by Carnival. Anyone who follows this industry closely knows what CLIA will do when the ships resume they already publicly made that announcement.

But, as mentioned before, nice to have a little check in type video

Yeah, its definitely nice to see at least a small update from CCL, wish DCL would do more they did not have a "pandemic plan" on the shelf to throw out there in mid march when the world changed, but really wish there was more stuff from DCL during these times.

To me, that whole video just seemed like fluff. It basically said we are looking forward to having you back on board, safety is our priority, and here are protcols you can expect onboard, which is essentially CLIA's protocols put into video form by Carnival. Anyone who follows this industry closely knows what CLIA will do when the ships resume they already publicly made that announcement.

But, as mentioned before, nice to have a little check in type video

I'm afraid I haven't heard of this. Can you provide any details?

Not completely cruise related, but just got an email from Southwest and they are starting service to Miami on 11/15. Good news for people sailing out of Miami if they fly Southwest. You now have another option besides just FLL and transporting.

Carnival Celebration is bookable now, starting Nov 2022 I believe. Looks really nice, as does Mardi Gras. Fingers crossed it will be ready on time. I really want to go on either ship, but will probably wait a bit since I have early 2022 and 2023 already booked. And want to fit Disney/Universal in there somewhere... and not go into debt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter