CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I forgot to mention...

Sounds like there's a new Build-a-Bear activity (profits go to St. Jude).

We came across that activity on our last cruise. The toys look absolutely amazing. I was very impressed as I did not know a toy from Build-a-bear could look so good.

They had all kinds of animals (turtles, sharks, etc.) It was super cute!

Oh I forgot to mention...

Sounds like there's a new Build-a-Bear activity (profits go to St. Jude).

We came across that activity on our last cruise. The toys look absolutely amazing. I was very impressed as I did not know a toy from Build-a-bear could look so good.

They had all kinds of animals (turtles, sharks, etc.) It was super cute!

I don't think it's new. It was on our first cruise in 2015. My son wasn't interested at the time so we didn't do it. It was offered twice I think, on the 7 day cruise. It's listed in the kids schedule and the regular daily schedule I believe. It is cute though, and nice to see the profits going to St Jude.

I don't think it's new. It was on our first cruise in 2015. My son wasn't interested at the time so we didn't do it. It was offered twice I think, on the 7 day cruise. It's listed in the kids schedule and the regular daily schedule I believe. It is cute though, and nice to see the profits going to St Jude.

Ah, I received an email which stated "Build-a-Bear comes to Carnival" so I thought it was recent.

Either way: it's really awesome!

Is it safe to assume that typical dinner attire is fairly casual on Carnival? (yes, it's that ever-present dress code question)

Is it safe to assume that typical dinner attire is fairly casual on Carnival? (yes, it's that ever-present dress code question)

Yes, non-Elegant nights the dress code is casual. You can wear jeans, t-shirts, shorts. I have never seen anyone turned away. On Elegant nights no shorts but I have seen nice jeans.

I was told you are not supposed to wear shorts and tank tops in the dining room. However, I've never seen anyone being sent back because they were wearing shorts. I believe the dress code is encouraged but not enforced.

But most people take pride in dressing up well during elegant night. :)

I was told you are not supposed to wear shorts and tank tops in the dining room. However, I've never seen anyone being sent back because they were wearing shorts. I believe the dress code is encouraged but not enforced.

I'm over the getting really dressed up. We went to the buffet on Elegant night our last cruise. They were serving the same prime rib and baked potatoes without me wearing pinchy shoes! I call that a win.

I'm over the getting really dressed up. We went to the buffet on Elegant night our last cruise. They were serving the same prime rib and baked potatoes without me wearing pinchy shoes! I call that a win.

Yeah. I noticed that the menu at the Lido was similar.

Now I only go when I wanna feel pampered or when I want my 20$ Filet Mignon.

That being said, with the family, we decided that we were going to play "elegant" for our next cruise and go to the dining room on Elegant Night.

P.s. I refuse to wear anything else than ballerinas.

Last edited:
Yes, non-Elegant nights the dress code is casual. You can wear jeans, t-shirts, shorts. I have never seen anyone turned away. On Elegant nights no shorts but I have seen nice jeans.

Thanks. I was indeed referring to regular nights and not a formal (I guess Carnival calls it "elegant") night. We're a long ways away from knowing where we will be eating each night anyway (we went with "your time" dining). Just wanted to get a general sense.

Thanks. I was indeed referring to regular nights and not a formal (I guess Carnival calls it "elegant") night. We're a long ways away from knowing where we will be eating each night anyway (we went with "your time" dining). Just wanted to get a general sense.

There are so much food options on Carnival that we do not eat in the dining room as often as we would on DCL.

The buffet serves some of the dishes offered in the dining room as well during the evening (usually by the middle of the afternoon the name of the dishes are already placed on the buffet so it's quite easy to know in advance what will be served at the Lido and what will only be available at the dining room)... No matter what you decided to do, you won't go hungry. :)

And yes, "Elegant night" is the term they use and usually, people eating in the dining room that night take it very seriously. I've seen many tuxedos and gowns.

There are so much food options on Carnival that we do not eat in the dining room as often as we would on DCL.

Yeah, unfortunately with DCL you really do not have many options (and I would prefer that the buffet remain a buffet for dinner). I would love to see that change on their new ships, with them adding different restaurants to go along with a "your time"/"my time"/"Freestyle" type of option, but I seriously doubt it would happen. Most of the DCL loyalists love their dining set up and keeping the same serving team throughout the cruise. That's never really meant all that much to me. I would prefer to have more flexibility each day with regards to where we eat and at what time.

Last edited:
So apparently, there are two big announcements coming monday and tuesday for Carnival?

I wonder what it is?

I'm hoping for:

1) Pig & Anchor everywhere

2) Cruises in Europe

Didn't see that one coming:

"CHIEF FUN OFFICER SHAQUILLE O’NEAL TO OPEN FIRST ‘BIG CHICKEN’ RESTAURANT AT SEA ABOARD CARNIVAL RADIANCE"

New Dining Venue Part of $200 Million Dry Dock Taking Place in 2020

MIAMI (Nov. 12, 2018) – Carnival Cruise Line announced today that the totally transformed Carnival Radiance will be the first cruise ship to feature “Big Chicken,” a seagoing version of a new restaurant created by the line’s Chief Fun Officer, NBA Hall of Famer Shaquille O’Neal.

The menu will feature a mouth-watering variety of fried chicken sandwiches and fries, with flavors to match Shaq’s larger than life personality, all free of charge.

Source: John Heald on FB.

Didn't see that one coming:

"CHIEF FUN OFFICER SHAQUILLE O’NEAL TO OPEN FIRST ‘BIG CHICKEN’ RESTAURANT AT SEA ABOARD CARNIVAL RADIANCE"

New Dining Venue Part of $200 Million Dry Dock Taking Place in 2020

MIAMI (Nov. 12, 2018) – Carnival Cruise Line announced today that the totally transformed Carnival Radiance will be the first cruise ship to feature “Big Chicken,” a seagoing version of a new restaurant created by the line’s Chief Fun Officer, NBA Hall of Famer Shaquille O’Neal.
The menu will feature a mouth-watering variety of fried chicken sandwiches and fries, with flavors to match Shaq’s larger than life personality, all free of charge.

Source: John Heald on FB.
This cracks me up
lo that it was the big announcement. But sounds delicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!