CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I got one more reason not to sail on a "small ship" again.

We felt a lot of motion (many days in a row)... I think I'm affected with "mal de débarquement": I've been experiencing episodes of dizziness for the last three days (since we got off the ship)... That's not cool. :/

I think there was only two ships in port when we were there... It was just the Mariner and us. We were there last monday. We are booked on the Mariner for next year so I was indeed very interested by it.

My husband and I walked in town in Nassau and we felt much safer than the two last times we were there...

We were there on Tuesday, so Mariner must have stayed overnight.

We felt a lot of motion (many days in a row)... I think I'm affected with "mal de débarquement": I've been experiencing episodes of dizziness for the last three days (since we got off the ship)... That's not cool. :/
I have the same from the Horizon.

Last edited:

I feel like that after every cruise! Yet I still do it. For a week or so after I will wear my seabands or take the ginger gravol.

I find it does, same remedy I use on the ship :) I just continue for a few days after I get off the ship, a week long cruise I will take the ginger for a week after, and use the seabands when I feel I need to.

I have an appointment with the doctor later today. We'll see if it's MDDS and what he suggests.

EDIT: the doc thinks it's a labyrinthitis. Glad it did not start during the cruise... :/ Prescribed me Serc and Prednisone.

Last edited:
Just off Carnival Horizon 8 day that went to Grand Turk. We rented 2 cabanas at the Margaritaville pool. We were a party of 4 adults and 4 kids (ages 9, 11, 16 and 16). We requested, at desk on ship, that we have our 2 cabanas next to each other. We got off the ship and was at hostess stand at Margaritaville bar around 10:30. Hostess walked us out to our cabanas and they were not next to each other and she claimed they were last 2 left (though the 3 to the very right end did not appear to be occupied then).

We were told the server buzzer didn't work in 1 cabin. Hostess promised server would be around every 5 minutes...she wasn't. The cabin was dumpy and they need remodeling but the AC worked. We ordered food and drinks (the two 16 year old boys hung out in 1 cabin and the rest of us were in the other, on the deck). We all went to the beach for a bit (where, by the way, drinks are sold way cheaper by the locals). The water was dirty and rocky. Folks told us that when you get off ship and go to the right there really isn't a beach now due to hurricane. If you walk down toward Jacks, past the netted area, the water is a little cleaner and a little less rocky but still not fabulous (it is nice once you get past that shallow seaweedy rocky gunk).

When we walked back to our cabanas there was a lady laying on the lounger on the deck of one (the one the two 16 year olds were using). We asked our server to please shoo her off and she said "no, I am making tips off of her and you all aren't using it". We say "um...we paid a lot of money for that cabana". And she mumbles "you all are over here and I want her tip" and she walks away. Then when we get our tab ($400) and go to pay with CC, she says "can you pay my tips in cash so I don't have to share with the cooks and staff in the kitchen?". We tipped the cash.

Then...my DH leaves his sneakers in the cabana when we leave. We leave a good bit before the ship is due to go. But does the cash tipped server send the shoes to the ship? NOPE.

And Jack's shack has gotten more crowded too. I saw a pic from the day we were there and the whole beach area was packed like a sardine can with lounge chairs. We walked down there on our last cruise (the Magic in 2016) and was not super impressed. We were there with another ship that time and the island was packed. That time disappointed as well. My first time there was the best (on the Pride, only ship there, in 2013). I had a great visit that time. It wasn't too crowded and the water was super clean that I just sat at the water's edge and let the waves roll over me. It was soooo nice. But it's kinda jacked up now. Sad.

Hi!

We do not have a review for the Horizon yet so if you want (and if you have the time) to write a little review/comparison --no pressure!--, I will put the link on the first post. :)

Hi!

We do not have a review for the Horizon yet so if you want (and if you have the time) to write a little review/comparison --no pressure!--, I will put the link on the first post. :)
I was pricing out the Horizon in May. It's not cheap, buy all means. Not Disney expensive, but then nothing is. I guess the ship is popular. Havanas were sold out. The Family Harbor area had some interesting looking Aft Extended Balcony rooms. If I ever cruise on one these ships I feel like I need to try one of the specialty rooms. I'm pretty much done with the Caribbean, but a different experience would be interesting. On DCL I've been reduced to a boring inside or ocean view.

I would love to see a review of the Horizon. It's funny every time I start looking at Carnival cruises I get Carnival ads popping up all over the disboards. I also get a call from them the next day. They have some good spy's. :cool2:

I was pricing out the Horizon in May. It's not cheap, buy all means. Not Disney expensive, but then nothing is. I guess the ship is popular. Havanas were sold out. The Family Harbor area had some interesting looking Aft Extended Balcony rooms. If I ever cruise on one these ships I feel like I need to try one of the specialty rooms. I'm pretty much done with the Caribbean, but a different experience would be interesting. On DCL I've been reduced to a boring inside or ocean view.

I would love to see a review of the Horizon. It's funny every time I start looking at Carnival cruises I get Carnival ads popping up all over the disboards. I also get a call from them the next day. They have some good spy's. :cool2:

My son is still too young for us to book Havana but those family harbour rooms look great. I'd love to be able to use the lounge, ice cream, drinks (coffee!) and access to games and stuff, even a breakfast buffet right there. Sounds great!

Those PVP's are persistent. I get calls if I check their website. I will book when I'm ready so stop calling! Doesn't seem to stop them though. Actually NCL does the same thing. Any way.

Looking forward to a Horizon review from anyone :) I know it's very similar to Vista and I've read those comparisons too.

Another clue that Victory (Radiance) will be doing a short Europe season after it goes through THE CHANGE :)
View attachment 360847

Listed in Palma de Mallorca for 1 call. I am getting a tiny (OK a lot) excited.
We’re starting to get pretty excited too! My daughter graduates from HS that year so she’s picking out the cruise. We did Mediterranean on Vista in 2016 and she wants to go back if there’s a cruise that includes Greece. We’re sure hoping one of the cruises goes there!! Please continue to report to us your findings.

Hi! I need some help from my DIS cruise expert friends. My family of 5 wants to try a cruise vacation this summer which is something totally new for us. I have been looking at cruise info all day and am just getting more confused. Based on sailing dates and departure port (we want to leave from NY/NJ in late July or early Aug) we have choices of Carnival Sunrise, Norwegian Dawn or a RCL which I haven't researched yet. My daughters are 24,21 and 16 our picture is really old LOL... What is the best way to check prices? Do I need a TA? A suite or 2 rooms? How do I know what is included as far as food and drinks? I'm lost! Thanks for any advice.

Hi! I need some help from my DIS cruise expert friends. My family of 5 wants to try a cruise vacation this summer which is something totally new for us. I have been looking at cruise info all day and am just getting more confused. Based on sailing dates and departure port (we want to leave from NY/NJ in late July or early Aug) we have choices of Carnival Sunrise, Norwegian Dawn or a RCL which I haven't researched yet. My daughters are 24,21 and 16 our picture is really old LOL... What is the best way to check prices? Do I need a TA? A suite or 2 rooms? How do I know what is included as far as food and drinks? I'm lost! Thanks for any advice.

Given the ages of your kids, I'd probably suggest two cabins. A lot of families do a balcony for the parents and an inside across the hall for the kids. Gives two bathrooms, private space etc. Not sure you need a TA. I know both Carnival and NCL have "personal planners" who can help you book with either cruise line. Do you know which ship it was for RCL? I see Adventure or Anthem out of New York next summer. I'd suggest either of those would be a hit with your kids. I think that NCL Dawn would have fewer things to do, it doesn't have water slides or a ropes course, not sure it has a rock wall either. Sunrise is being refurb'd and updated so it will have a ropes course, water slides.

As for food and drinks, all 3 cruise lines have included meals and specialty restaurants where you would pay. They all have a buffet and an MDR. I haven't cruised NCL (yet) but between Carnival and RCL I prefer the food options on Carnival (love Guys burgers and Blue Iguana burritos), but my son prefers the buffet on RCL. They should all include water (tap not bottled), lemonade, iced tea, coffee, tea and RCL at least has flavoured water. They would all also offer drink packages of various types. I think RCL has the most variety there in terms of an alcohol package, a non-alcohol package and a pop package. NCL usually has a deal where you can get that free (though you have to pay the gratuities upfront with that). Carnival and RCL require you to get a package for all adults in the room (not sure about NCL?). RCL & Carnival have either set time or any time dining, you choose which you want to do and that's it for the whole cruise. With NCL you get "freestyle" so it's like any time dining, nothing is set.

As for prices, I use an app that will send me emails when prices change, and also just do mock bookings to see what the price is now, through the cruise line website directly. You can use a TA, they'd be able to guide you to the right cruise I'm sure. I just generally prefer to book it all myself. Once I've booked, I check periodically for a price change.

Everything hdrolfe said! Also, check out the "fun" things like pools, slides, rope courses, mini golf. Those really help to make the sea days fun! I think Carnival has the most included "other" food venues (meaning not just buffet or main dining room).

You also really want to focus on itinerary. Each island is unique and offers different cultural, historic and natural areas. Some are more focused on beautiful beaches and others have lots of adventure excursions.

With 5 I would also get 2 rooms. You will want to extra bathroom.

Please come back with more questions. I think we all love helping new cruisers find their niche.

If it is Anthem on RCCL out of NY I would seriously consider it for your age kids. There is a great video on this ship if you google Anthem of the Seas Jim Zim.

I agree with everything so far, especially the 2 cabins. We have 2 teenagers and 7 of our 9 cruises have been in 2 inside cabins. The only time we ever got a balcony is when we shared 1 cabin. We definitely prefer 2. We’ve only cruises Disney and Carnival and have a ton of fun of Carnival. The food choices are great. We were supposed to go on Anthem of the Seas this summer and I was really looking forward to it. We ended up buying a new house this year so will be back on Carnival Vista for the 4th time. I don’t think you could go wrong with either Carnival or Royal. I wouldn’t go with Norwegian only because that’s an older smaller ship.

We’ve always just booked cruises online after researching. Both Royal and Carnival offer options to book on a refundable deposit or non-refundable deposit. Always book a refundable deposit and get travel insurance.

I just want to give a shoutout to @mevelandry and thank her for this amazing Carnival thread. I think it’s helping out many people who don’t want to pay Disney prices anymore and/or who just might be sick of the same itineraries over and over. Cruises are the only way we like to travel and vacation now and it’s so nice to know there is life beyond DCL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!