• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Carb info at Disney

monica31671

DIS Veteran
My 7 year old son is a type 1 diabetic. Is it easy to get carb info at Disney World? I'm not too worried about counter service meals. Most chicken strips and fries are about the same. The table service is another matter. I have to know how many carbs he eats to know how much insulin to give him. How hard is it going to be to get carb info on things like Smores at Sci-Fi?
Thanks!

We just got back, and my 4yo DD is also a Type1.....She is on an insulin pump, and to tell you the truth, we just guessed a lot...and we ate everywhere.....even the kitchen sink at beaches-n-cream......we never really had any 'horrible' readings to our surprise...we even snacked our way around Epcot one night and did alright! We never asked for any carb counts or anything, we ate at a lot of buffets..but if you 'eyeball' it a lot at home, you will probably be okay here...

We were really concerned about how the trip would affect her sugars...but we had a surprisingly easy time...I hope the same for you and your family!!!

Hey, my name is Monica too! That is kind of funny!!

Good luck!

Thanks for your help! :) My son is on Novolog right now and has high highs and low lows. BUT... we will have a pump before the month is out!!! :banana: I was worried about trying to get the eating timed just right. It's hard to make him wait 3 hours before he can eat and take another shot. And it's hard to make him eat so he doesn't pass out!
Thanks for the info and support. WDW food here we come!

We LOVE LOVE LOVE the pump!!! Congrats!! It is FAR superiour to shots..we did shots for 2 years...wish we would have just gone straight to the pump.......will you have the pump before WDW?

We're going the 1st week of May with my 3 yr old son who is also type 1 and started pumping in October. We LOVE the pump - and you will too! It does take a few weeks to get used to it and get the ratios right but hang in there.

I've read that generally you won't find carb counts for the food at WDW - you'll have to WAG it (wild guess) as we say. A carb counting book might help you guess. It is hard to guess at things like Smore's. We tend to under bolus him after eating at restaurants but we test often and catch the high and give him more insulin. I think some kids tend to run low at WDW so you may not have a problem with highs at least.

Enjoy your trip!

Our pump should be here this week and our WDW trip is June 20. Hopefully we will have a grip on it by the time we leave. The carb counting is so important on shots. If I get it wrong, he either drops or sky rockets and it's another few hours before more insulin.
We are both super excited about the pump. I haven't heard any bad comments about pumps from pumpers.
A pump and a WDW vacation. :cheer2: What a summer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter