Car seat question. flying from Boise. 1st time

being-dragged-to-DL

You can have Johnny Depp... I want Jack Sparrow!
Moms and Dads, Help!!! We have a 6 yr old and 4 yr old. Flying form Boise to Orange county, by way of Portland, Oregon. We wont have a rental car, we'll take a shuttle to DLH. And back home the same way. Question: what do you do with kids this age regarding car seats? I myself have never flown... so I dont know what to expect taking the kids on a plane. We are a faithful car seat using family! The plane and the shuttle both cause to me stop and ask this. What do you all do? Also... ANY hints for flying with kids in general? THANKS

We are going to DL in Feb, with our 4 and 6(three weeks shy of 7) year olds. We normally go to WDW every year and have always taken a car seat. On our last trip in August, we did not rent a car and we were doing the Land/Sea cruise package. It was the first time we did not bring car seats for our kids. The kids were fine on the plane. The car service that we used at the airport provided car seats. If you really can't see going with out them, get the Graco booster seats and just bring the base. They larger seats actually sit very high up, and interferes with the tray coming down. This makes eating and coloring complicated.

I always pack each kid a back pack. In there I have coloring books, crayons, snacks, drinks, and hand held games. I try to pick up little things before, like new sparkle crayons or something to surprise them. Trying to keep them happy is the way to go. If they get bored, then they get antsy. Then you can't relax. Last time we were on Jet Blue and the kids wanted me to buy them cookies. It was a stupid amount of money, but they were so happy and they kepy quiet after that.

In DL, don't go commando. Let the day flow the way it flows. Oncw we tried to get the little one to nap, and that was a nightmare. She was better going until early evenings, have dinner and then off too bed. Once we figured this out, it was much easier. Too many parents don't really listen to what the kid is trying to say and the kid gets over stimulated and tired.

Good Luck!

Well, I'm sure someone will correct me, but I'll give it a shot.

Are you talking about car seats or booster seats? With boosters, you're supposed to use a shoulder belt, which the plane does not have. Will your shuttle be a van (which probably will have shoulder belts) or a bus (which may not have any belts)? Unless your transportation has shoulder belts, I wouldn't take the seats. When we fly, we check our booster seats, since we don't use them on the plane. We still use them of course, at our destination, since we either rent a car or ride with friends. BTW, our kids are 5 and 4.

As far as flying with kids, the best thing is try to keep them busy. Small snacks and very small toys, usually some small Disney figurines work well. Don't give everything at once, spread it out over the trip. We also have a couple of portable DVD players we take along.

If that doesn't work, 2 words: Children's Benedryl. (Just kidding!...sorta...)

Good luck and have fun,
Vic

When we rent a car we ask for booster or car seat and they give them to us but at an extra charge.

Dont forget a cup with lid for each kid!! This way no spills of the "air plane pop" as my grand daughter calls it. (We have flown twice with her)

You don't need car seats on the plane, and they don't allow boosters. If you take the shuttle you may need to bring a booster as a lot of shuttles have decided not to provide them anymore. We were told to bring our own last year.

If you take the "disneyland resort express" which is a bus you do not need car seats.

As for flying I pack a backpack with stuff to do, coloring et al, and always put in a few things that are new. Never had trouble keeping her busy on the way down, and the kids will sleep most of the flight home.......

Just wanted to reassure you about PDX, it is a great small airport. With sitdown places to eat in both terminals.. and lots of seats to wait for your plane ;).
I wrapped up gifts for the two kids with us this trip 7yr old niece and DS ag 3 1/2 they periodically got to open something and play with it ,, I brought a "disney" coloring/stamp book for each. A travel light bright to share. A couple new Bugslife books, and "disney" stickers. I brought energy bars for snacks that weren't needed till DL, but we did eat some fresh fruit before we got one the plane that I had brought, and that was nice.
On the way there and on the way back my DS fell asleep.

When reserving seats since there are 4 of you.. think about how you want to be sitting. You might want to be split 2 and 2, or four with one on the other side of the aisle.. If it was me I would put the youngest at the window for the start of the flight. with me in the middle the oldest on the aisle ad Daddy on the other side of the aisle. It is easier if a kiddo gets cranky to deal with it if they are on a window seat, cause you have them cornered LOL. If you spilt 2 and 2 if you and the youngest have to use the restroom you have to step over a stranger.. this way it is just part of your own party.

We had five so we did a row of Window center and aisle, and then two in the row behind.
I and my son went into the row with three of our party, cause I knew we would need to get up the most. I have IBS and DS is well 3 1/2 LOL. My sister and niece rode in the back of me my son and my father... it worked out well, cept my father pouted a bit LOL.

depending on how long you are at pdx, keep in mind they have a small play area inside the terminal. It is, however, between the security screenings so you'd have to go through those again, but it does entertain the little ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter