Car rentals at HNL - onsite vs. offsite

Angrose

DIS Veteran
We only have a little over 3 weeks until our trip...YAY! I have a car booked through Hertz, which says they are "onsite" at HNL, but I just found a much better rate at Dollar, which is "offsite." Can anyone comment about the ease of going offsite to get the car and returning it on our way back? I'm guessing I would still need to shuttle somewhere with Hertz to pick up the car from them, but their counters are in the airport itself. If it's just a short, easy shuttle ride to Dollar then we will go that route. Thanks!

We have rented twice from Alamo, which is offsite, just a little down the street from the Dollar rental. Honestly, it was no big deal to go offsite for us. We just walked from baggage claim out to the rental shuttle curb, the Alamo shuttle pulled up, and it was maybe a 5 minute drive to the lot. Pretty easy. It wasn't that far away. At the end of our trip, we returned the car and waited like 2-5 minutes for a shuttle to take us to the terminal.

My only tip is to ask for directions to H1W - Google maps directed us one way and they told us another, which was more straightforward than what Google suggested.

Offsite is literally around the corner with a shuttle ride. At most airports it would be considered "onsite". Onsite at HNL is in the garage where it shows Enterprise in the image below- though that's not the only onsite. Offsite is where I've highlighted Dollar and Thrifty.

airport.PNG

@buffettgirl that is a great visual! I have never found the off site to be a big issue, it might take 5 mins more but the shuttles circle and come around quite quickly. Returning is just as easy too but just as at any airport be sure to give your self time.

I fly into Logan in boston all the time. The "onsite" locations are all shuttle rides, and longer ones than in HNL.

Just got back Saturday and rented from Dollar. maybe a 5-10 minute ride after pickup.

Thanks everyone! The map is super helpful. I ended up rebooking with Dollar and saved $50. We leave in 3 weeks and we're super excited!

WE did Avis "preferred two weeks ago. What a nightmare. it was onsite and the line took us over an hour. I would definitely go off site!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!