Car Rental With Costco Question (additional driver)

newfiegirl

Hello Mickey!
HI, My husband does not have his name on my costco account. I am the only member on my Costoc account. If we book through any of the Costco car rentals (Avis, Alamo...) can he be added as an additional driver for free? I cannot find that in writing anywhere. Right now we are booked with Avis, and it says free driver at participating Canada locations. I do not want to drive at all on our vacation. Thanks

HI, My husband does not have his name on my costco account. I am the only member on my Costoc account. If we book through any of the Costco car rentals (Avis, Alamo...) can he be added as an additional driver for free? I cannot find that in writing anywhere. Right now we are booked with Avis, and it says free driver at participating Canada locations. I do not want to drive at all on our vacation. Thanks
Alamo includes the free driver but that’s the only one that I’m sure of. The other option would be to add your husband to the Costco account.

When you book a car rental through Costco one of their major perks is that the second driver is added for free to the car rental. From the Costco website

"The additional driver fee will be waived for a Costco member’s spouse, domestic partner, or a surrogate driver for a mobility-impaired renter, plus one (1) additional driver for Costco members at locations in the U.S. and Canada. Age restrictions and renter requirements may apply."

I'm renting a car next week (through Costco/Alamo) and will have my son added as an additional driver (he's over 25) for free. After checking for the T&C I realized my reserved car had gone down again so I just rebooked my reservation. Saved a few more $.

Last edited:
Yes, your husband can be the second driver without being on your card. I had my son-in-law as my second driver.

Also sign up for the gold.advantage or whatever the car company calls it. It will be a free sign up and for some of the bigger places you will get free upgrade or easy pick up and drop. Perks for
free

I added my daughter on my Costco res. They just ask for the extra drivers DL to add on to the reservation at pick up desk.

When you get an additional driver, is that only if you buy insurance from the car rental

Insurance is a separate issue. If you have rental insurance with your home car insurance you don't need to get it from the rental agency. Both drivers will need to have rental insurance on their home car insurance or you may need the car rental insurance from the agency for that driver.

The additional driver for free is a Costco perk.

Last edited:
I don't even show my Costco card when I rent, although they could ask for it. The free driver doesn't have to be a Costco member and I think spouses would be free anyway, but Costco is very competitive in their prices. Also, if you have an Executive Membership, you get 2% of your rental back next Jan.

Is there a way to rent from Costco with the additional driver without having to go to the counter?

I know this is an old thread, but but looking for current wisdom!

Booked a budget rental thru Costco.ca for 20 days in Disney area.
Planning on declining insurance in favour of my own insurance.

But sister is travelling with me, and hopes to avail of being a 2nd driver.
My insurance wouldn’t cover her tho …we just get the perk of not paying a 2nd driver fee.

Question is: Would her own car insurance cover her, or would I have to buy the pricy rentco’s insurance?

tia!

ottawamom said, a few years ago:
Insurance is a separate issue. If you have rental insurance with your home car insurance you don't need to get it from the rental agency. I Both drivers will need to have rental insurance on their home car insurance or you may need the car rental insurance from the agency for that driver.

The additional driver for free is a Costco perk.

She would need to check with her insurance provider directly to see if she has the coverage. All policies are different.

Not sure about the extra driver part but we have booked through Costco many times and none of the rental companies asked to see the Costco card. We always have our Costco card with us just in case but have never been asked for it.

I know this is an old thread, but but looking for current wisdom!

Booked a budget rental thru Costco.ca for 20 days in Disney area.
Planning on declining insurance in favour of my own insurance.

But sister is travelling with me, and hopes to avail of being a 2nd driver.
My insurance wouldn’t cover her tho …we just get the perk of not paying a 2nd driver fee.

Question is: Would her own car insurance cover her, or would I have to buy the pricy rentco’s insurance?

tia!

ottawamom said, a few years ago:

You will need to check with your insurance and she will need to check with her insurance.

e.g. I rented a car on my recent trip to Vancouver as part of our DCL Alaska cruise.

My car insurance would cover the rental if it was just me on the rental. If I wanted to add my uncle as a second driver, my insurance would NOT cover the rental, even if his car insurance would cover him; I would have had to get the car rental agency's insurance. My credit card's car rental insurance coverage was the same. Nuances of the fine print: basically, in both cases they have to cover all the drivers or they provide no coverage.

We just rented a car thru Costco last week thru Alamo. Reservation was in my name. They did not ask to see my Costco card, and only wanted to see my husband’s license. Very easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!