Car Rental With Costco Question (additional driver)

newfiegirl

Hello Mickey!
HI, My husband does not have his name on my costco account. I am the only member on my Costoc account. If we book through any of the Costco car rentals (Avis, Alamo...) can he be added as an additional driver for free? I cannot find that in writing anywhere. Right now we are booked with Avis, and it says free driver at participating Canada locations. I do not want to drive at all on our vacation. Thanks

AliceandPete

Mouseketeer
HI, My husband does not have his name on my costco account. I am the only member on my Costoc account. If we book through any of the Costco car rentals (Avis, Alamo...) can he be added as an additional driver for free? I cannot find that in writing anywhere. Right now we are booked with Avis, and it says free driver at participating Canada locations. I do not want to drive at all on our vacation. Thanks
Alamo includes the free driver but that’s the only one that I’m sure of. The other option would be to add your husband to the Costco account.

ottawamom

The "Air Miles" Lady
When you book a car rental through Costco one of their major perks is that the second driver is added for free to the car rental. From the Costco website

"The additional driver fee will be waived for a Costco member’s spouse, domestic partner, or a surrogate driver for a mobility-impaired renter, plus one (1) additional driver for Costco members at locations in the U.S. and Canada. Age restrictions and renter requirements may apply."

I'm renting a car next week (through Costco/Alamo) and will have my son added as an additional driver (he's over 25) for free. After checking for the T&C I realized my reserved car had gone down again so I just rebooked my reservation. Saved a few more $.

Last edited:
  • damo

Proud Redhead
    Yes, your husband can be the second driver without being on your card. I had my son-in-law as my second driver.

mort1331

DIS Veteran
    Also sign up for the gold.advantage or whatever the car company calls it. It will be a free sign up and for some of the bigger places you will get free upgrade or easy pick up and drop. Perks for
    free

Sue M

DIS Veteran
    I added my daughter on my Costco res. They just ask for the extra drivers DL to add on to the reservation at pick up desk.

• tgropp

DIS Veteran
    When you get an additional driver, is that only if you buy insurance from the car rental

ottawamom

The "Air Miles" Lady
    Insurance is a separate issue. If you have rental insurance with your home car insurance you don't need to get it from the rental agency. Both drivers will need to have rental insurance on their home car insurance or you may need the car rental insurance from the agency for that driver.

The additional driver for free is a Costco perk.

Last edited:

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
    I don't even show my Costco card when I rent, although they could ask for it. The free driver doesn't have to be a Costco member and I think spouses would be free anyway, but Costco is very competitive in their prices. Also, if you have an Executive Membership, you get 2% of your rental back next Jan.

jackglick

Mouseketeer
    Is there a way to rent from Costco with the additional driver without having to go to the counter?

• Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates