Car rental fees and taxes Are outrageous.

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Dano1182, Apr 15, 2019 at 5:26 PM.

1. Dano1182

Dano1182 DIS Veteran

Rented a car for upcoming trip.
    Car rental cost $292.00

Taxes and fees 150.00 !!!!!

2. Ben23A

Ben23A Earning My Ears

fees are always the killer unfortunately just like ticketing sites. Thats not a bad total though. how many days?

bumbershoot likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. cmwade77

cmwade77 DIS Veteran

I always insist on the total price out the door when getting quotes. Also, get a preliminary price online, then call to see if they can get you a lower price.

5. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

6. cmwade77

cmwade77 DIS Veteran

7. kyton

kyton Mouseketeer

Try being from Australia and having to add extra insurance coverage on top!

8. cmwade77

cmwade77 DIS Veteran

Americans get stuck with that too, at least if they don't want to have to risk their insurance premiums going up if there is a problem.

Some insurance companies won't even cover rental vehicles unless they are providing the rental vehicle during a claim.

And trust me, we don't get it any cheaper than those from other countries do.

9. FFMickey

FFMickey Here for Dole Whips

The taxes and fees are outrageous. We decided to rent from Alamo at the Car Care Center and it is saving us $100 for the same vehicle and duration.

10. Toolulu22

Toolulu22 DIS Veteran

And add on your parking fee...

Searc likes this.
  11. cmwade77

cmwade77 DIS Veteran

Ubless your are a DVC member staying on points anywhere on site or points or cash at any DVC resort, have a handicap placard or otherwise manage to get the parking fees waived.

12. Lewisc

Lewisc DIS Veteran

I've read the combination of high car rental rates (including fees) and available ride share options is reducing the number of travelers renting cars. Some airports are taking a revenue hit.
    Many personal auto policies include rental coverage. Often a rider can be added. Some credit cards offer coverage. Some travel insurance covers car rentals. Many US renters don't see the need to purchase waivers from the rental agency.

bumbershoot likes this.
  13. it's kelly

it's kelly Mouseketeer

Like second driver fee for my spouse.

14. Mackenzie Click-Mickelson

Mackenzie Click-Mickelson DIS Veteran

OP there's not a lot of context there to help out with or even just to give other posters an idea of what the context is.

How many days, what car class, what rental car company, are you booking directly through the rental car company's website or through another website, is the pick up location the airport, etc

bumbershoot likes this.
  15. JohnneeO

JohnneeO Mouseketeer

In November 2017, on an 11 night visit to WDW while renting a car for the entire trip, we flew into TPA, and out of MCO. I priced out two rental options: a one-way Avis rental from TPA to MCO, where we would have one car for the entire trip, and I compared that to a one-way rental from the Avis at the Hilton Disney Springs to MCO. While the base rate was the same, the cost was much higher for TPA to MCO (airport to airport) rental.

In fact, the difference was so high that it was cheaper to rent two vehicles; the first was a one-way, one-day (3 hours really) rental from TPA to Disney Springs, and then from Disney Springs to MCO for the entirety of the trip.

The culprit was all of the daily TPA Airport fees that would have carried through the entire 11 day rental period. Picking up the same car from Disney Springs for same duration and base rate eliminated a ton of fees.

16. Miffy

Miffy DIS Veteran

It's never ever clear to me that the car-rental insurance provided by my credit card that supposedly has car-rental insurance with it (Amex) would actually pay for everything if something happened. DH always buys all the insurance at the car-rental place. It's usually more than the cost of the rental. (We're from New York, not Australia, btw.)

17. starry_solo

starry_solo DIS Veteran

I think it's because most of those insurance are secondary to the primary (personal automobile) insurance policy.

18. Miffy

Miffy DIS Veteran

Thanks, starry_solo. I believe our personal auto policy doesn't cover rentals at all unless it's a loaner when the car is being serviced. The long list of rules, exceptions, etc., on the credit card are what usually drive us (ha ha!) to getting all the car-rental company's insurances. DH would rather pay those fees than have a giant repair bill at the end, if something should happen.

19. Lewisc

Lewisc DIS Veteran

Do you insure a personal auto in NY? Auto insurance polices issued in NY, under most circumstances, cover a rental car under the liability portion of your policy. That means you typically have coverage even if you personal auto policy doesn't include collision. CHECK WITH YOUR BROKER OR READ YOUR POLICY.

20. Miffy

Miffy DIS Veteran

Yes, we do. I'll have to check the policy again. We so rarely rent cars that when we do, we're unprepared with the facts. This thread is prompting me to do my research now! Thanks, everyone.

21. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

The OP didn't mention any of the $150+ in fees and surcharges was due to options they chose. It's all just typical charges.

bumbershoot likes this.