Car rental discounts

Honeystar120608

Mom, Photographer, Disney Lover, 100% Cannuck
Hi guys! I have never rented a vehicle... hard to believe. I am looking for my cheapest options to get from Fort Lauderdale to DW dropping off at Orlando Airport. Dec 1-Dec 4
The cheapest I have found was with Ace Rental Cars and Fox Rent A Car. Not reading great things about them though.
I'm in Canada, so these companies I'm totally unfamiliar with!
What's the cheapest car rental you've gotten? I'm looking to pay around $100 US for the 3 days if possible. That might be wishful thinking lol
Tips tricks...best time to be looking?

Car rental rates change a lot, sometimes daily. So keep checking back in to find a good rate. If you see one, make a reservation. You can always cancel it if you see a better one. Don't have experience with Fox, but have with Ace and they were fine. $100 for 3 days may be doable, but it may be a bit more by time you add in tax. Check companies like EZ Rent A Car or Dollar, they usually have good deals. Rates also vary greatly with location. Don't know Ft. Lauderdale too well...rented there once a few years ago. In Philly, I can get a car for $20/day or less. In Boston, I'm lucky to get it for $50/day.

Car rental rates change a lot, sometimes daily. So keep checking back in to find a good rate. If you see one, make a reservation. You can always cancel it if you see a better one. Don't have experience with Fox, but have with Ace and they were fine. $100 for 3 days may be doable, but it may be a bit more by time you add in tax. Check companies like EZ Rent A Car or Dollar, they usually have good deals. Rates also vary greatly with location. Don't know Ft. Lauderdale too well...rented there once a few years ago. In Philly, I can get a car for $20/day or less. In Boston, I'm lucky to get it for $50/day.
Great info! Can you recommend a good site to always check? Expedia? Kayak?

Actually, I don't tend to use those sites often, I go directly to the retailer. What I would do is check the Ft. Lauderdale airport website. They'll list all the rental companies that are onsite. From there, just keep checking back in with them.

Best advice I've seen is take pictures of your rental car when you pick it up (all around it) and when you drop it off. That way you have evidence if you're concerned about the company filing false damage claims against you.

My husband uses carrentalsavers.com for all of our trips, especially Disney. They compile discounts from all the companies at your pick up location (we always choose MCO in terminal). We check it probably once a week. For our December trip last year, we booked 6 months ahead for $300 for an mid size SUV. We kept checking even after booking and by November, it dropped to $190 which was including the taxes and fees. And this was for 8 days. The website allows free cancelation and changes so we were able to switch to the lower price with no issue. The prices change all the time so it's nice to be able to look at them all on one website.

There is a site called rental car mama. Google it. They find discount codes and post them. I have rented from budget. Nice car and decent price. No issues

Hi guys! I have never rented a vehicle... hard to believe. I am looking for my cheapest options to get from Fort Lauderdale to DW dropping off at Orlando Airport. Dec 1-Dec 4
The cheapest I have found was with Ace Rental Cars and Fox Rent A Car. Not reading great things about them though.
I'm in Canada, so these companies I'm totally unfamiliar with!
What's the cheapest car rental you've gotten? I'm looking to pay around $100 US for the 3 days if possible. That might be wishful thinking lol
Tips tricks...best time to be looking?

I avoid third party companies. I would imagine a claim would be a nightmare through those places. I typically book directly through Hertz. If you return to a different location it cost more. I think you are looking closer at $60 a day at best. Do you really need a rental car for 4 days (Dec 1-4, is four days, not three). Or do you just need transportation to Orlando then can uber from there? Have you looked at the Mega Bus?

I avoid third party companies. I would imagine a claim would be a nightmare through those places. I typically book directly through Hertz. If you return to a different location it cost more. I think you are looking closer at $60 a day at best. Do you really need a rental car for 4 days (Dec 1-4, is four days, not three). Or do you just need transportation to Orlando then can uber from there? Have you looked at the Mega Bus?
I didn't read carefully to notice you are picking up and dropping off in different locations. That will cost you.

I have used Alamo. We took a car last year from WDW to Newark NJ (a hurricane was coming in and we cancelled our JetBlue flight) and we got a minivan for 2 days for $120, unlimited mileage. It was the biggest bargain I have ever had. We like Alamo. Keep checking rates, especially close to the day of rental.

I have used autoslash . com many times. After entering a quote, book one of their initial offers, then they will keep checking for discounts and email you any time they find a better rate. You don't pay until you pick up, and are not obligated in any way.

The top tier companies (Hertz, Alamo, Enterprise, Avis, etc.) have much better reviews and less stress than the cheap guys (Fox, Advantage, Payless, EZ). We have been burned by Fox and Sixt and now are willing to pay more to avoid the stress and hassle while on vacation.

I'm looking for almost the same as you, and rates are crazy hight htis year,like I've never seen before..check all of the above sites, I also use coscto travel for discounts....

I compare coupons (retail me not and others) against the car rental company and travel discount sites (ex. Expedia) to see who has the best price. If you are a CA AAA member I'd look at their discounts too. Also some employers have connections for discounts through car rental companies, so you might look into that.

It's just like looking for airfare, prices change all the time. I troll all the websites, all the companies...even Costco. Sign up for their rewards programs. Check out MouseSavers.com. People have said that they've found discount/coupon codes to help lower the cost but I've never found anything there. Also check out the transportation boards her on the Dis. Lots of information there. People frequently post a great deal they've gotten. I would also say that if you're traveling around a holiday, it tends to be more expensive. Also, if you pick up your car and drop it off at the same location, it tends to be a better price. I've never had to return to a different location so maybe others will chime in about that. Check with your car insurance and credit card company. Many offer coverage when renting your car. I never used sites like Kayak. The best deal I ever got was with National. Very pleased with their service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter