Car Hire in different states Help!

One note for people to be careful about. I found a much better quote but in the small print it said that it may not include one-way costs. I emailed the company and the price did go up. It only went up by £50/$75 but still!! Glad I checked.

Good advice. I would just assume that if I entered a different drop off than my pick up that all charges would be included when they gave me a price. $75 would be a big surprise at drop off!

Do you recall if it was it more than one company? And which one(s)?

Good advice. I would just assume that if I entered a different drop off than my pick up that all charges would be included when they gave me a price. $75 would be a big surprise at drop off!

Do you recall if it was it more than one company? And which one(s)?

I was wrong too. I checked again and the price when up that $75 PLUS an extra $250 purely cause they'd changed the quote to a company that had the lowest 'one-way' charge (hence the $75 increase) and that charge is $250. :scared1:

Have you tried the Uber app for the Iphone? I have several friends that swear by it.

Is it cheaper to fly into Seattle than into Canada? Is that why you would go so far North and then start your drive south? You mentioned stops in Vancouver and San Francisco, but only S.F. Is on the way. I do that Vancouver isn't a long way (just about 140 miles) though.

Whatever you do, whatever route you take, I hope you have a wonderful visit!

We are flying from Montana into Seattle. We didn't originally plan to go to Vancouver but we have friends there and we later arranged to visit with them.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Maybe just as a point of minor language differences, but in the United States or Canada the term "hire" would generally not be used to describe the rental of a vehicle that the renter drives. That would typically be used to describe obtaining the services of a driver and vehicle, such as a taxi or car service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_for_hire

I think most people understood your question because of the context, but if you start using that term when you get to the US, you might start confusing people.

Oh I confused lots of people last time we were in America because of our Australian accents and terms ;)

THanks. I'm not the one talking about taking the car into Canada though, that's another poster. I'm staying within the US and I always check that I can take the car out-of-state and have unlimited milage. It's a good tip for the other poster though.

Yep that was me who asked :) I will check if Canada is okay to take a car into :)

Have you tried the Uber app for the Iphone? I have several friends that swear by it.

never heard of that one. Can I ask what it is please?

Oh I confused lots of people last time we were in America because of our Australian accents and terms ;)

Ah, I used to live in the USA so my english accent/phrases disappear after I land :D

Yep that was me who asked :) I will check if Canada is okay to take a car into :)

Good luck :D I think we've decided to fly into San Fran then drive on loop up to Seattle and another loop down to LA. Lots of driving but much cheaper and we get to do most of the things we wanted too that way.

Uber is an American company that uses a phone app to arrange for a car service to pick up and transport a customer. The pickup point, destination, and price are prearranged, and the entire amount is prepaid via credit card using the phone app. The vehicle would be a licensed vehicle with a commercial "TCP" (transportation charter party) permit such as a limousine, luxury SUV, or most common in the US a Lincoln Town Car.

In California they're having difficulties with the California Public Utilities Commission over whether or not they may technically be operating an unlicensed taxi dispatch service.

Hi

We are wanting to fly into Seattle and drive down to Anaheim. I noticed if I hire a car from San Fran and drop off in LA it's only about $15/£10 more but if I try to take it from Seattle to LA it jumps from $400ish to $800??:scared1: Can anyone give me any advice on how to avoid this (a particular company)? Or a good way to travel safely from Seattle to San Fran?

Thank you

Is there a possiblity that you could return the car to Seattle?

A quick look at Budget shows that having a car for a week and doing the one way you talk about is $1100. The same car for a week returned to Seattle is about $200. If you can make the drive in both directions it is cheaper to keep the car.

Is there a possiblity that you could return the car to Seattle?

A quick look at Budget shows that having a car for a week and doing the one way you talk about is $1100. The same car for a week returned to Seattle is about $200. If you can make the drive in both directions it is cheaper to keep the car.

That might be another what - 2 to 3 days? It also sounds like the OP is looking to enjoy the road scenery, so maybe flying down to Anaheim isn't going to cut it.

However, what about taking the Amtrak Coast Starlight from Seattle down to Los Angeles, then maybe renting a car at Los Angeles Union Station?

It's an app that uses GPS to find out where you are. You then tell it where you want to go and it give you what the price would be. It will then send a car service to get you. The car services it uses are first screened by the company to make sure they are safe.

Thanks for the help guys. We've decided to fly into San Francisco and pick up the rental from there. We're driving up to Seattle and back and then down to LA and back. It was a lot cheaper than out of state charges or flying into other cities. Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter