Can't anything be done about the speed of this site?

goofyernmost

Aged to Perfection
Hey, folks of the DISboard.

I can't speak for anyone else but the slowness of this site is really starting to cut into my enjoyment of it. It seems that I spend more time "waiting for DISboards to respond" then actually reading or posting.

Are you folks getting to big for your server? Can you assure me that you are at least attempting to speed it up a little?

Ugg I know, I love the DIS Boards, but I have noticed how utterly slow the site is!

Most of the time I find it goes at a good speed.

A few times it seems to take forever.

I have multiple tabs going with different boards in each.

I'm with ya! Most of the time, if not always, it is slower than molasses for me, and I have high speed internet with powerboost, a clean computer, etc.

Don't know why, but I have the same problem, especially at night. :sad2:

I sometimes get out & go back in & then it's fine, but having to do that over & over is extremely irritating. :headache:

I sure hope they can fix this problem.

Oh good I am not the only one. I can't stand how slow it is. Sometimes it take forever for one thread to load up. :headache:

Sometimes your computer gets tied up in knots after you have worked with it for awhile. If you can open up a second (or third) browser and look at other web sites you can narrow down on whether it is your computer or whether it is a particular web site that is giving trouble.

One problem today's computers run into is called the memory leak. Imagine a parking lot with an electronic map out front showing where the free spaces are and sometimes a car leaves but the map still shows the space occupied. Then someone wants to drive in with a tractor trailer. Once inside he would have found a big enough place but by looking at the map out front, there are a number of "phantom cars" shown here and there and no place big enough.

That said, once I opened up a second browser (actually the same kind, Internet Explorer), and brought up The DIS again and everything was working fine while the first browser had a DIS page sitting waiting to load and doing nothing.

I agree - it is terribly slow.

I have had IRS refund checks show up faster than my selected thread.

Sometimes your computer gets tied up in knots after you have worked with it for awhile. If you can open up a second (or third) browser and look at other web sites you can narrow down on whether it is your computer or whether it is a particular web site that is giving trouble.

One problem today's computers run into is called the memory leak. Imagine a parking lot with an electronic map out front showing where the free spaces are and sometimes a car leaves but the map still shows the space occupied. Then someone wants to drive in with a tractor trailer. Once inside he would have found a big enough place but by looking at the map out front, there are a number of "phantom cars" shown here and there and no place big enough.

That said, once I opened up a second browser (actually the same kind, Internet Explorer), and brought up The DIS again and everything was working fine while the first browser had a DIS page sitting waiting to load and doing nothing.

Okay - but seriously..... the site is slow.

I'll have to show DH this thread. He tells me I have to do things with my computer and says it has something to do with my computer when I say it's soooo slow.

So it's not just ME!

I only have it happen some times... but then again, it happens on other sites too. Maybe it's because we spend more time on this site that it seems to happen more?

I will admit though, there are times I walk away from my computer to wait for it to load.

3 computers here and very slow on all three, maybe they are going for the disney theme of waiting in line to get to the attraction, sometimes longer than others but rarely can ya walk right on.

blah,blah,blah..... this site is slow

Some of the more popular forums should be changed to allow Fastpasses. Then you could come back after the designated time and get right on.

Some of the more popular forums should be changed to allow Fastpasses. Then you could come back after the designated time and get right on.
:laughing:

Yep, The DIS is slow for me and I go to quite a few other forums online and they are not slow. I just chalked it up to so much traffic and so many lovers-of-Disney! :lovestruc

How about this? A crowd level indicator from 1 to 10 in the corner of your browser.

Except that crowd level indicators are things that unofficial guides and not the real Disney does. Someone would have to publish an "Unofficial Guide To The DIS" with crowd level indicators.

OT: Actually I say that rather than do it for The DIS, the time and effort should be spent on doing it instead as The Unofficial Guide To Orlando International Airport giving hour by hour indications of crowd levels at the security checkpoints for the entire year with annotations for special events (like Daytona Week) where the pattern might differ for, say, one Saturday compared with most other Saturdays.

>>> Some of the popular forums should be changed to allow Fastpass

You would have to wait two hours or until your fastpass matured (whichever came first) for, say, the Disney With Families forum before you could get another fastpass for, say, the Transportation forum.

And you would have to click to another web page to get your fastpass. There there might be an instructor feeding in the DIS user ID's and passwords of a seminar full of members and you would have to wait there.

:laughing:

Yep, The DIS is slow for me and I go to quite a few other forums online and they are not slow. I just chalked it up to so much traffic and so many lovers-of-Disney! :lovestruc

Yes, I think you have it right on. I too believe most of the problems are just a traffic issue. In the early mornings I have no problem with Disboards, while during mid-day it can flat out stop responding. This has been the pattern for disboards (and pretty much only disboards of all the sites I visit regularly throughout everyday so it's not a problem with my ISP) I've noticed for a very long time.

I will say, though, it seems to have been a little better in recent months. I recall when I first started visiting disboards, there were times when the site itself would report back user overload and say to try back later. I don't get that NEARLY as much anymore. In fact I'm having a hard time recalling the last time I got the overload messages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter