• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cannon Digital Rebel XT or Nikon D50

nelle said:
I'll also make my DH go with to try them out since he's the one who carries the camera most I definately don't want to here him complain about it being too heavy

On both my trips to Disney I carried around a Sony camcorder in my backback and my Nikon N70 in a fanny pack with 2 lenses and a flash. On the last trip I also had my Canon S30 digital camera in a case that attaches to my belt.

I used to work in travel and would always bring at least my Nikon 6006 (when I had it) or my N70. Both had 2 lenses and a flash and never even considered complaining about it being to heavy. My travel destinations included a lot of walking as I would go on a lot of "FAM" trips and would have to see at least 5 or 6 and as many as 20 different hotels in as little time as 3 days. My camera was always with me.

I don't ever consider my camera to be to heavy to carry. The difference in weight is going to make a difference in your hand. You can tell a cheep camera from a high quality camera. A high quality camera will be made of a more durable and solid casing compared to cheep point and shoot camera's that are made of cheep plastic, both the body and the lens.

With the SLR's you talking ounces. My N70 weighs about 20oz without the battery, the D50 is about 17oz with battery, the Rebel XT is also about 17oz. Lenses can weigh more depending on their size. So your only really talking about 5 pounds.

Take a look in the store at one of the dSLR's then ask to look at a much less expensive camera ($50-100). You'll get a better understanding.

once you get into dSLR, weight does not really matter anymore (unless it's too LIGHT).
My walkaround 'package' includes at least the following:
Canon 300D with battery grip with 2 batteries
3 CF cards
Sigma 18-125 f/5.6 superzoom OR Canon 70-200 f/2.8L zoom
Canon 50 f/1.8

Sometimes I add the following:
Sigma 500 DG Super flash
Manfrotto tripod with ballhead
cable shutter release
Gary Fong Lightdome diffuser
lens cleaner, duster, more CF cards.

If I go to parks I will have at least:
The 300D with battery grip but only 1 battery, Sigma 18-125 superzoom, a camcorder (full sized semipro, not the tiny one), extra battery and tape for the camcorder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter