Cannon Beach, Oregon

KCmike

Never have fallen asleep on any
Anyone ever been there? I once got to go to Portland on business and drove over to this beach for about an hour. I would love to take my family there next year but was wondering if anyone had any more information on this area?

I just got married there about amonth ago, and We go there a few times a year. What would you like to know?

Cannon Beach is very pretty. We ate at the seafood restaurant calls Mo's right on the beach.

Haystack Rock
P5310148.jpg

There is also a beautiful park with incredible views of the beach. You definintely need to drive to Ecola State Park.

P5310169.jpg

Great shots. I didn't know about the park.

Where would be the best place to stay in that area? Hotel or vacation home?
I've never rented a vacation home so I am in foreign territory there. Interested in hearing about these two options.

I grew up on Oregon. I do not know a lot about Cannon Beach... other then it is beautiful. I have never actually stayed there.

My parent have owned a beach house in Lincoln City, for more then 20 years. We go every year for the 4th of July. For the past few summer, I have rented houses on line at VRBO. It might be a great place to start your search.

If you are taking kids you might want to go see Seaside. They have a fun little down town area with arcade games.

You should plan on eating at Mo's they are very famous for their clam chower. It makes me hungry just thinking about it.

We went to the little aquarium in Seaside. We got a kick out of feeding the seals. If you didn't feed them, they would squirt water at you.

P5310390.jpg

One of the mistakes we made this year was to try to do as much as possible in a short amount of time. I already have big plans to stay on the beach, drive into portland and look around, visit Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, maybe drive to Seattle.......

I guess I just get too excited.

We've done the Chicago Shedd Aquarium and I'm wondering how this one stacks up to it? I don't know if I'm just getting older or what but its kind of like zoo's in that once you've seen one the rest start to look the same.

When we used to own a travel trailer, we would camp right on the beach up and down the Oregon coast. Cannon Beach was one of our fave towns to explore. The kids would spend hours playing on the beach. Also a good place to fly a kite.

We also love going to Portland. Our fave place to go to in Portland is Powell's Bookstore in downtown Portland. It is one of the biggest used and new bookstores in the world. Our last time there (March this year) we spent 4 hours in that store. So if your family are bookworms, that is a stop you shouldn't miss.

Our DDs also liked the Tillamook Cheese Factory. They had tours -- don't know if they still did that.

Have fun planning! The Oregon coast is one of my fave places to go for peaceful and relaxing vacation.

For places to stay, it really depends on your budget. Cannon Beach is more expensive then most other coastal cities. The nivest hotels in Cannon are the Stephanie Inn, and the Ocean Lodge. Both will run you about $300 or more for an ocean front room, unless you are there in the dead of winter. For my wedding we stayed in the Waves Motel, and it was very nice. I think it ran about $20o a night for ocean front. The hallmark Inn is a little less, but not as nice. If you don't mind a 15 minute drive, it is much cheaper to stay in Seaside, just north. I would guess you can find ocean front rooms for about $150 ish somewhere nice.

Hope that helps a little.

One of the mistakes we made this year was to try to do as much as possible in a short amount of time. I already have big plans to stay on the beach, drive into portland and look around, visit Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, maybe drive to Seattle.......

I guess I just get too excited.

We've done the Chicago Shedd Aquarium and I'm wondering how this one stacks up to it? I don't know if I'm just getting older or what but its kind of like zoo's in that once you've seen one the rest start to look the same.

The aquarium in Seaside is just a small little beach front aquarium very similar to the aquarium in Key West. It does not compare in any way shape or form to the Shedd Aquarium, Monterey Aquarium, etc.

If you like salt water taffy, be sure to check out Bruce's Candy Kitchen, where they make it on old fashioned equipment right on the premises, along with tons of other great treats! Bruce's is my favorite reason to go to Cannon Beach! Look for the pink and white stripes!

Oops double post, but in the meanwhile I"ll mention Tolovana Inn - they rent condos with full kitchens. They're located south of the town proper, right on the beach near Haystack Rock. Mo's restaurant is right next door.

We were in Cannon Beach a couple of summers ago and rented a house through VRBO. We have rented through VRBO about 7 -8 different times and have always been quite pleased. The House in Cannon Beach was about 2 blocks from the beach, a very quant little house with 3 bedrooms/1 bathroom. We spent a week in Cannon Beach and 4 days in Portland, I would suggest if you want to see some of Portland that you stay in Portland for a few days, there is so much to do there and it is a wonderful city. We really enjoyed the Children's Museum, Japanese Gardens and Gorge area, we really could have spent another week in Portland, seeing all there is to see. WE stayed in a great little hotel in a nice, urban area where you could walk everywere, can't recall the name of area or hotel but will look through my notes when I get home and post later. If you want more details let me know and I will go back and look through our vacation information.

Beth

Anyone ever been there? I once got to go to Portland on business and drove over to this beach for about an hour. I would love to take my family there next year but was wondering if anyone had any more information on this area?
I was just on this board looking for ideas for Yosemite and saw your posts and pictures. We are planning a trip there in May. Then I saw your post about Cannon Beach and thought maybe I could help you out there.

We love Cannon Beach and are going there in a couple of weeks. I like renting through www.cbpm.com. They have a good range of sizes and prices. I usually like hotels but here I like to rent a beach house. Cannon Beach is a little more expensive but worth it. They have an ordinance against chain hotels and restaurants so everything is unique. The art galleries are great and the beach there is awesome. If you have lots of time you might want to drive up to Seaside for a few hours but it is busy and touristy and the aquarium is cheesy, but fun if you like that kind of thing. It is also nice if you have time to drive down the coast as far as Tillamook and see some of the other towns and the cheese factory. But Cannon Beach is the jewel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter