Candy Sushi .... Yes we did!

Jimmy Mouse

My other car is the Monorail
I know a lot of people have been asking about Candy Sushi. I was one of them until 10 days ago. I have mixed emotions about it but overall it was great! We arrived at 5:00 for our 5:30 reservation and there were a few people lined up waiting to see if anyone was a no show. After my kids were seated (we could only find a reservation for 2) I asked the woman that was running the event if there were any no shows, could we also do the sushi with our kids. I was told that she would have to let the other people waiting have a spot first. I was a little confused about that but then again, they "were" waiting before us. I had no problem with that especially since one person waiting just wanted his daughter to be able to do it. Anyway, Sushi making time! So they get 2 Rice Krispies in a thin square, Twix, M&M's, fruit roll-ups and Swedish Fish. The first is a roll. They take the Rice Krispies and lay it out. Place the roll-up on it and turn it over. Put in the twix and M&M's then roll it up and slice it up. Second one they balled up the treat, cut the roll-ups into strips, placed the swedish fish on top then tie it together with the roll-up. They walked everyone through step by step and my girls loved it! The overall crowd was cheerful and the whole event was fun. There were a total of 18 seats. My girls took 2, there was a woman with her little girl beside us and there were 2 other kids to their right. The rest were couples without kids. I think the event would have been better if there were more kids involved or families as a whole. It was clearly an event geared towards kids but only 5 kids? Either way, we had a blast!

IMG_3660s.jpg IMG_3668s.jpg IMG_3669s.jpg IMG_3671s.jpg IMG_3673s.jpg IMG_3677s.jpg IMG_3678s.jpg IMG_3682s.jpg IMG_3686s.jpg

This almost sounds a little sad? Like perhaps the description should include a limitation for kids x years and under, so the adults that have no idea that there are other human beings in the world besides themselves won't take up the limited spots for a children's activity. I might be way off base, but it sounds kinda sad.

This almost sounds a little sad? Like perhaps the description should include a limitation for kids x years and under, so the adults that have no idea that there are other human beings in the world besides themselves won't take up the limited spots for a children's activity. I might be way off base, but it sounds kinda sad.
I think it should have had an age limit because it seems there are a lot of couples without kids doing this event. I don’t fault them for that as Disney did advertise this event for all ages.

I think it should have had an age limit because it seems there are a lot of couples without kids doing this event. I don’t fault them for that as Disney did advertise this event for all ages.

Then I'm off base here. I clearly didn't read the description fully, I did glance at it, and thought it might be fun for the kids on our trip. I just assumed it was a children's activity. With only 18 spots though, maybe they'll find a bigger place to hold this event in. All of the dates I checked were not available. You snooze you lose, I get it, but 18 spots and only 5 kids? Then again, if they found a place to hold it with 50 spots, perhaps there would be 40 adults snapping up the spots.

Anyway, looks like a fun little detour - glad the kids loved it.

I agree and think this event really should have been for kids. I wasn't able to get a reservation for this on our trip, but I would have been perfectly happy to just have a spot for my son and watch him participate and I think most family's would feel the same way. There is plenty for adults to do at F&W, I don't think they would be missing out much if this one was for kids only.

I agree and think this event really should have been for kids. I wasn't able to get a reservation for this on our trip, but I would have been perfectly happy to just have a spot for my son and watch him participate and I think most family's would feel the same way. There is plenty for adults to do at F&W, I don't think they would be missing out much if this one was for kids only.
I totally agree. Im confused as to why adults would be interested in this. Lol. I'd much rather save the spot for a kid. Like you said, adults have F&W events. Why take up space for an activity thats clearly geared towards children? They should change it so that its for kids only. But hey, what do i know? :)

OP, Cute family pic.

I’ll have to dissent. If I was there I would totally want to do this. Sounds like fun and the finished product is adorable

Unless it says children it’s open to all. And at Disney aren’t we all just little kids again?

I’ll have to dissent. If I was there I would totally want to do this. Sounds like fun and the finished product is adorable

Unless it says children it’s open to all. And at Disney aren’t we all just little kids again?

You are correct, but it seems a little Happy Gilmore-ish to me.

I'm just envisioning a few kids that can't do this, while the group is filled with adults who really would not have the same experience as a little kid this is apparently "geared towards." Kinda like the ppl who barge in at the last second and stand directly in front of a little kid for a fireworks show, or the jerkfaces that stand in front of all of the little kids in the places next to the stage for the March of the 1st order, even though there's PLENTY of room for them in the back where they tower over all of the kids and would have an unobstructed view. And all of the human adults can clearly recognize that they can just stand in back, and let all of the kids have a fantastic view.

You're definitely not wrong, tho - it says it's for all ages.

Maybe the spots are filled with adults and kids are not making the biggest demand to fill the spots. I still hope, however, that a trial run of somehow getting more kids than adults is in the works if warranted. The other candy sushi events might have way different numbers of kids vs adults, I have no real idea.

We arrived at 5:00 for our 5:30 reservation and there were a few people lined up waiting to see if anyone was a no show. After my kids were seated (we could only find a reservation for 2) I asked the woman that was running the event if there were any no shows, could we also do the sushi with our kids. I was told that she would have to let the other people waiting have a spot first. I was a little confused about that but then again, they "were" waiting before us. I had no problem with that especially since one person waiting just wanted his daughter to be able to do it. Anyway, Sushi making time! So they get 2 Rice Krispies in a thin square, Twix, M&M's, fruit roll-ups and Swedish Fish. The first is a roll. They take the Rice Krispies and lay it out. Place the roll-up on it and turn it over. Put in the twix and M&M's then roll it up and slice it up. Second one they balled up the treat, cut the roll-ups into strips, placed the swedish fish on top then tie it together with the roll-up. They walked everyone through step by step and my girls loved it! The overall crowd was cheerful and the whole event was fun. There were a total of 18 seats. My girls took 2, there was a woman with her little girl beside us and there were 2 other kids to their right. The rest were couples without kids. I think the event would have been better if there were more kids involved or families as a whole. It was clearly an event geared towards kids but only 5 kids?

I'm confused. If you had actually had been able to book a reservation for 4 wouldn't you have been taking spots away from kids? I don't think it is fair to say things should be for just kids or just families with kids. Doesn't make any other version of a family less important.

Is this something special for Food and Wine?

Edited to add... I used the handy search function and see it's only for Food and Wine :rolleyes1

Last edited:

I definitely don't fault any adult who is booking this now since there are no limitations and I definitely agree that we are all kids at heart at Disney, my point was more around thinking this would be okay as a kids only because there is so much that is adult oriented for food and wine anyway.

I know when I went to book it, it never occurred to me to look for just one spot for my son and me accompany him. I just assumed that anyone entering need to pay. Maybe a compromise would be to leave it open to anyone to sign up, but specifically indicate that only the person creating the candy sushi needs to be paid and they can be accompanied by non paying parent/guardians. You'd probably have to limit it to 2 parents per paying person to avoid anyone trying to abuse it and have an over crowded room, but that would allow families to take part who only want their kids actually making the treats and for an adult to participate who enjoys being a kid at heart.

This is also something you could very easily recreate at home. Would be fun w lots of different options for the kids

I'm confused. If you had actually had been able to book a reservation for 4 wouldn't you have been taking spots away from kids? I don't think it is fair to say things should be for just kids or just families with kids. Doesn't make any other version of a family less important.
I didn't say adults were taking spots away from kids. did I? I said "I think the event would have been better if there were more kids involved or families as a whole. It was clearly an event geared towards kids but only 5 kids? Either way, we had a blast!"

then in another post I said "I think it should have had an age limit because it seems there are a lot of couples without kids doing this event. I don’t fault them for that as Disney did advertise this event for all ages."
I clearly said I did NOT fault the adults without kids ........ Sorry if I hit a nerve.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts