Candy From A Stranger? You may want some

Jenhem

Earning My Ears
Hi, I will be at the Disneyland Half Marathon next weekend, I'm running the 5K (say hi to me, I'll be Slink in a sea of Incredibles). My daughter and son in law are running the half. For that race I plan to cheer the rest of you on around mile 10. I plan to have food for runners to get you to that finish line if you need it. Aside from gummy bears, raisins, Starburst, orange slices, etc... what would you want to eat at this point to keep you going?? Looking for what you were happy to have in previous races. Thanks!

A complete stranger was handing out Twizzlers and pretzel rods during the marathon in Janaury and they tasted awesome!

I have joked with my family that during a race, it's always acceptable to take candy from strangers!

A complete stranger was handing out Twizzlers and pretzel rods during the marathon in Janaury and they tasted awesome!

I have joked with my family that during a race, it's always acceptable to take candy from strangers!

The people who literally had the "candy from strangers" signs? Almost certainly people from one of the other message boards. Suddenly can't remember if it's micechat or the other...

At the LA Marathon, I think at mile 4, a family has their hot dog cart and hands out chili cheese dogs. But candy sounds like a better idea.

Twizzlers and pretzels sound like a good idea!

At the LA Marathon, I think at mile 4, a family has their hot dog cart and hands out chili cheese dogs. But candy sounds like a better idea.

Chili cheese dogs?? Wow, that sounds really heavy to eat while running!

I'm always willing to accept food during a run, with some exceptions. I would never really eat much of something I know would wreck me later in the run (luckily I've never seen free ice cream early on in a half marathon course) but most candies or dried fruit are welcome. I know some people prefer things that individually packaged but I have no standards by mile 10. I would decline to anything that would dry my mouth out (I save my marshmallows for post race when running hot chocolate) and would turn down anything that was going to leave my hands sticky later (I've gotten ice pops which sound great but left my hands gross).

I won't be there but my personal favorites are gummy bears (easy to get down for runners who don't like to chew while running), Swedish fish (even easier to get down without chewing much), snickers (not good for people with nut allergies but they go down so easy), and pretzels (gotta have that salt). Really, no matter what you bring a runner will eat it. We're very accepting of all foods.

Red Vines/Twizzlers, Swedish Fish, Gummy Bears have all been runner favs.... during the Dopey, by marathon day, the swedish fish were a savior :)

Good for you! I guess at DL it would be easier to do this--especially if you are on Anaheim streets. At WDW, the old Disboards WISH team used to do this regularly--at DHS, WWoS, the Boardwalk--oranges, Twizzlers, wet washcloths. People really appreciated this. Until one year it seemed to become an issues and we were told we couldn't. Actually had Cast Members yelling at us on multiple occasions. Said we couldn't give food out to strangers. (Although you can get pretty creative about how many "friends and family" you have!). Never did get any positive outcome from RunDisney on continuing to do it.

Good for you! I guess at DL it would be easier to do this--especially if you are on Anaheim streets. At WDW, the old Disboards WISH team used to do this regularly--at DHS, WWoS, the Boardwalk--oranges, Twizzlers, wet washcloths. People really appreciated this. Until one year it seemed to become an issues and we were told we couldn't. Actually had Cast Members yelling at us on multiple occasions. Said we couldn't give food out to strangers. (Although you can get pretty creative about how many "friends and family" you have!). Never did get any positive outcome from RunDisney on continuing to do it.
thats insanely frustrating.... people are out cheering on runners, on their own will (not paid), wanting to be there. Runners that take candy, take it on their own accord and honestly any cast member yelling at you, its not in the disney spirit. Many runners appreciate you all and the fact that you pay out of pocket for your "Friends and Family" to have a quick fix pick me up. The one at WDW I had was just "off" property (just outside of Animal Kingdom on a bridge) and in the parking lot of ESPN. Kind of crazy the effort spectators must take just to support! :)

A few years ago at the WDW marathon (I think the bridge near @McFlurry's McDonald's stop) somebody was handing out Swedish Fish. I never tried them before and haven't really since but at that point-in-time they were like manna from heaven!

I'm always willing to accept food during a run, with some exceptions. I would never really eat much of something I know would wreck me later in the run (luckily I've never seen free ice cream early on in a half marathon course) but most candies or dried fruit are welcome. I know some people prefer things that individually packaged but I have no standards by mile 10. I would decline to anything that would dry my mouth out (I save my marshmallows for post race when running hot chocolate) and would turn down anything that was going to leave my hands sticky later (I've gotten ice pops which sound great but left my hands gross).

I won't be there but my personal favorites are gummy bears (easy to get down for runners who don't like to chew while running), Swedish fish (even easier to get down without chewing much), snickers (not good for people with nut allergies but they go down so easy), and pretzels (gotta have that salt). Really, no matter what you bring a runner will eat it. We're very accepting of all foods.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to go with miniature PayDay bars (salty and sweet together) and some Twizzlers or Swedish Fish. I think I have almost as much fun as a spectator cheering runners on as I do running, lol!

Red Vines/Twizzlers, Swedish Fish, Gummy Bears have all been runner favs.... during the Dopey, by marathon day, the swedish fish were a savior :)

That's probably what I'll go with, and maybe something salty and sweet like Snickers or PayDay miniatures. I'm psyched to see all the Toy Story runners in the half!

I did cheer on runners at Wine & Dine, I didn't hand out food, but someone next to me had M&M's that were popular. I was in the EPCOT parking lot, at the final mile. It was a blast to cheer the runners on! For the Dark Side, cast members were handing out candy on the Boardwalk this year, and I didn't see too many spectators with snacks.

thats insanely frustrating.... people are out cheering on runners, on their own will (not paid), wanting to be there. Runners that take candy, take it on their own accord and honestly any cast member yelling at you, its not in the disney spirit. Many runners appreciate you all and the fact that you pay out of pocket for your "Friends and Family" to have a quick fix pick me up. The one at WDW I had was just "off" property (just outside of Animal Kingdom on a bridge) and in the parking lot of ESPN. Kind of crazy the effort spectators must take just to support! :)

I think they try to steer spectators to their ChEAR squad area... I'd rather be on the route cheering...

Those seem to be mentioned the most often, I can see why since they are easy to eat. Will probably get some to hand out, thanks!

Not as big of a thing in the half as the full. But dark chocolate. After all the Gatorade and gels something not sweet is so good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!