Candles at FW

mainecamper

Earning My Ears
Did I read somewhere that we aren't even allowed to have outside candles at our campsites...even votives...citronella? Especially if we can't have a campfire, that will be tough. Need an answer as I just won't bring them and save the room for something else. :confused: Nance

I was really hoping I remembered wrong (story of my life) Maybe they meant the big torch thingies? Anyone else?

We generally have 2 Tiki torches burning with citronella oil and have never had a problem.

Well, I guess I was just having one of my senior moments/ brain cramps!!! Glad to hear I was wrong about it!! I need some kind of flame burning!!!! Cause as most of you have said, that is the one draw back of Fort Wilderness, no campfires!!! I hope the community one is as good as you all say!! What are your favorite parts? :D

They give you a bbq...you could have a mini campfire in it! LOL Bring the marshmallows!

They have a nice campfire with a movie every night!

:wave:

During one of our trips we were told not to have any type of flame at our campsite. I think it was back in 2000 when they were having a very bad drought.

I'll bet that's what I read! It is probably a day to day thing...thanks everyone for your help!!! This site is just so awesome...any question I can come up with you folks are right on it!!!Nance:p

We camped in June 2002 and had set up camp with two tiki torches with the citronella in them, by the picnic table. Note they were not lit - only set up in the ground.
When we came back that night there was a sign on our table that said no patio torches were allowed. This was a printed - not handwritten - sign so we felt they must have them handy and ready to hand out!

On our last trip over Thanksgiving last year we saw several people with the portable fire pits. The type that are totally closed in by wire mesh. I don't know Disney's official policy on them but our camping neighbors had one burning every night and several times CMs, including security, drove by and said nothing. A couple of years ago we did have an emergency no open fire rule for central Florida.

We saw the firepits on our last trip as well. The CM's did go around and tell them that they would not be able to use them. We asked because we thought we would bring ours as well. They say no, no fires except your grill.

We4mickey,

When was your last trip?

It may be one of the many things about Disney that if you ask, they say no, but if you just do it responsibly they don't stop you.

I know it would not be a good thing to have 700 or so fires going in the campground. Especially when you see how some people in the state parks go about tending or rather neglecting their fire. With everything Disney has to lose if a fire were to get out of hand it is no wonder that they would rather you did not have a fire at all. However, the lack of a fire ring is about the only thing that disappoints me about FW.

Remember that Florida seems to have a drought and forest fire problem most years in the late spring and early summer. It's not uncommon for there to be a ban on ground fires sometime between April and July in many counties. If everything is so dry that lightning strikes set off brushfires, it's certainly wise for Disney to discourage use of any open flames during that time. Perhaps that's what you've seen or read about.

Just thought I'd mention this as I read a number of you use citronella candles. There is a portion of the population (me included) that is extremely allergic to the burning of these candles. They make my (our) sinuses close, breathing and even seeing (as the eyes are effected) becomes very difficult. I'm not trying to make anyone stop there use, just making people aware, as it took a while for me to determine the cause. So if a family member has a reaction, now you'll know what may be the cause.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter