Candlelight Processional Questions

SteveInOmaha

Mouseketeer
My wife & I are going to WDW this December, just 5 1/2-years after our last family trip. Why so soon? Beat throat cancer and you can go too! I picked December so I could check the Candlelight Processional off my bucket list. But I have a couple of questions:

1) We are doing the dinner package, and I know that reservations will open sometime in July. When I make my reservation, do I also reserve which of the 3 performances I want to see? Or do you just show up at any of the performances on that day?

2) How easy is it to change your reservation? I'll have made my dinner reservation prior to the celebrities being announced. If there's one celebrity you'd rather hear, is it easy/possible to switch the reservation to that day?

My wife & I are going to WDW this December, just 5 1/2-years after our last family trip. Why so soon? Beat throat cancer and you can go too! I picked December so I could check the Candlelight Processional off my bucket list. But I have a couple of questions:

1) We are doing the dinner package, and I know that reservations will open sometime in July. When I make my reservation, do I also reserve which of the 3 performances I want to see? Or do you just show up at any of the performances on that day?

2) How easy is it to change your reservation? I'll have made my dinner reservation prior to the celebrities being announced. If there's one celebrity you'd rather hear, is it easy/possible to switch the reservation to that day?

1) Your dinner reservation will come with a set performance time. We had a very early Chefs de France dinner time this past Dec, and we ended up with the middle performance time. I was initially looking at a lunch time that came with the first performance but was afraid we might not make it in time since we were arriving at WDW that morning. So, there are various meal time and performance time combos available.

2) ADRs go quickly for the more popular narrators. I would be prepared to grab your ADR as soon as it's available if you're wanting to see one of those - especially Neil Patrick Harris. That one sells out quickly. We were hoping for Whoopie or Neil, so I had reserved just a normal Chefs meal at 180 days for the day we wanted to see CP. We lucked out and ended up getting Neil the day we already planned to be at Chefs. When the packages came out, I made a new booking of the package (meal + performance). Only then did I cancel my original Chefs ADR. We knew we wanted to eat at Chefs even if we didn't snag a CP package, so I didn't want to let go of it until I had the other secured. The regular ADR and the package are two separate bookings, though. You cannot simply change the regular ADR to the package, so having an ADR already in place does not guarantee you a CP package.

P.S. Good luck. The performance is really beautiful. We watched it in the pouring rain and still loved every minute of it. I would go again.

1) We are doing the dinner package, and I know that reservations will open sometime in July.
1a) When I make my reservation, do I also reserve which of the 3 performances I want to see?
1b) Or do you just show up at any of the performances on that day?

2a) How easy is it to change your reservation?
2b) I'll have made my dinner reservation prior to the celebrities being announced.
2c) If there's one celebrity you'd rather hear, is it easy/possible to switch the reservation to that day?

1a) Your choice of restaurant and time of the reservation will coordinate with which performance you'll see.
1b) Nope.

2a) The difficulty will be that some reservations will become hard or impossible to get once more guests start booking them.
2b) Some will be known.
2c) The most popular perfumers' shows' dining reservations will fill quickly.

Last edited:
1) Your dinner reservation will come with a set performance time. We had a very early Chefs de France dinner time this past Dec, and we ended up with the middle performance time. I was initially looking at a lunch time that came with the first performance but was afraid we might not make it in time since we were arriving at WDW that morning. So, there are various meal time and performance time combos available.

2) ADRs go quickly for the more popular narrators. I would be prepared to grab your ADR as soon as it's available if you're wanting to see one of those - especially Neil Patrick Harris. That one sells out quickly. We were hoping for Whoopie or Neil, so I had reserved just a normal Chefs meal at 180 days for the day we wanted to see CP. We lucked out and ended up getting Neil the day we already planned to be at Chefs. When the packages came out, I made a new booking of the package (meal + performance). Only then did I cancel my original Chefs ADR. We knew we wanted to eat at Chefs even if we didn't snag a CP package, so I didn't want to let go of it until I had the other secured. The regular ADR and the package are two separate bookings, though. You cannot simply change the regular ADR to the package, so having an ADR already in place does not guarantee you a CP package.

P.S. Good luck. The performance is really beautiful. We watched it in the pouring rain and still loved every minute of it. I would go again.
Thanks! What's ADR?

Once they release the narrators just jump on those reservations. If you have a preferred date but no narrator announced right away, book it anyway.

Congrats on beating throat cancer.

I cannot imagine that you won’t enjoy seeing the Candlelight Processional. We have seen the Candlelight Processional three times - Jodi Benson, Neil Patrick Harris and Trace Adkins. I personally think the Narrator helps make the show and our personal favorite of the three was Trace Adkins.

If you are unsure initially who you what to see and/or if the narrator is to be announced book a couple of days and times and as your plans become firm cancel the one you won’t need.

In my humble opinion the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the best time to visit Disney.

VCOngratualtion on your victory over Throat cancer! What a nice way to celebrate.
The CP is one of my favorite experiences iN WDW>

I also encourage you to book as soon as the packages come out. We liek the lasted performance, but it is personal preference. I have my favortite narrators, NPH is one, and Gary Sinese. I also enjoyed Robbie Benson. I will add that I have enjoyed every performance end cannot even rememebr the narrators names for some. The music is the star for me.

Congrats on beating throat cancer.

I cannot imagine that you won’t enjoy seeing the Candlelight Processional. We have seen the Candlelight Processional three times - Jodi Benson, Neil Patrick Harris and Trace Adkins. I personally think the Narrator helps make the show and our personal favorite of the three was Trace Adkins.

If you are unsure initially who you what to see and/or if the narrator is to be announced book a couple of days and times and as your plans become firm cancel the one you won’t need.

In my humble opinion the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the best time to visit Disney.

I agree that December is the best time to visit WDW, and it is my preferred season.

OP- for a Decemebr trip, look at the rest of the Holiday events that take place around the World. We always plan time to resort hop to see all of the decorations in every resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter