Candied Orange Peels..Has anyone ever made them?

Tiggerkeeper

<font color=9900FF>DIS Veteran<font color=0099FF><
DH mentioned that he had heard of this and I remembered that I had a recipe in an old Southern Living Home For The Holidays magazine. Has anyone had any experience making these? Any tips before I start? I am wondering how I am going to peel the oranges into pieces as pretty as the picture in the magazine!

I try to add a new treat to my Christmas baking/candy every year and I thought these would be different.

Melissa

Sorry, Melissa - I've never tried these. However, I've been looking for a recipe to try this. Care to share? I'll even try them first & let you know if you want. I'm getting tired of making baskets anyway! ;)

Okay Piratesmate you can switch from baskets to worms! Honestly, that's what the picture looks like. I am not going to be able to make these until Saturday so if you try'em before them let me know how they do and I'll do the same as soon as I get them done! The process looks pretty involved but if they are good then it is worth it. I thought I'd try a regular juice type orange what do you think?

Candied Orange Rind

24 Oranges
2 quarts water
¼ cup salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
4 cups sugar
3 (1-ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, melted

Peel oranges, reserving pulp for another use. Cut rind into thin strips. Combine rind, 2 quarts water and salt in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally; drain. Repeat boiling and draining procedure twice, omitting salt; set aside.

Combine 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring often, until mixture reaches soft ball stage or candy thermometer registers 235 degrees. Add rind; simmer 30 minutes, stirring often. Drain.

Roll rind strips, a few pieces at a time, in 4 cups of sugar. Arrange in a single layer on wire racks; let stand 4 to 5 hours or until dry.

Dip ends of strips in chocolate, and place on wax paper-lines baking sheets. Chill 1 hour. Store in cool place in an airtight container.

Yield: about one pound.

Thanks for the recipe!!!! Now that I look at it, though, I doubt I'll get to it before Saturday either. I have to go to DD's school to help with "Colonia Crafts" the rest of the week, but we'll see.

I was planning on using some navel oranges I got from a fund raiser. I bought half a box of the biggest oranges I've ever seen! They're the size of grapefruits - and not small ones, either! :eek: The only problem is that I don't have 24 left . . . maybe I'll just cut the recipe down - but after going through all this work, I want it to be worth it!

I don't know about juice oranges . . . when you buy chocolate covered orange peel, the peel is rather thick. Sometimes juice oranges have rather thin skins. I'm sure it won't affect the taste, though.

The only part of this I'm concerned about it the "soft ball" stage. I've never done that part. Quite a few years ago I made my father some orange marmalade for C'mas (his fave!) & although it started out the same as this recipe, I didn't have to mess with the "soft ball" problem. Have you done that? Is it easy enough to tell without a thermometer?

d

The soft ball stage should be pretty easy to tell the mixture will form a ball and when taken out of the water will go flat. In other word formed but loosely.

I thought about navel oranges too. I guess they would probably be better as far as thickness. I also thought about halfing the recipe!

Well, I guess Saturday morning I'll put on my apron and start the buckeye balls and orange candy. Since DH will be out of town singing for a wedding and DS will be at Toys R Us working all day (lucky him!) DD and I will be looking for projects!

I'll keep you posted!!!!

Melissa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter