Cancer

TalkDisnerdytome

Mouseketeer
My grandfather announced that he was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer back in October, he was told he had about 6 months without chemo and a year with. He eagerly started looking into going on a family vacation ASAP after finding out. But he has started chemo recently and has just been feeling awful all the time now. I doubt we will be able to go to Disneyland with him anytime soon or again at all. My mother showed him some videos of my family at Disney on Ice recently, it made him cry. He has been the reason my family goes to Disneyland once a year every year since I was little. He really wants to be able to take my kids to Disneyland one more time before he never gets the chance to again, hopefully he will be able to. He LOVES Disneyland. I am going to try to figure out a way for him to get a taste of Disney while not being able to go to Disneyland right now.

I'm so sorry to read about your grandfather. Cancer is such a devastating disease and affects the whole family, not just the person that has it. My dad died from cancer 2.5 years ago. He fought the disease for a year, then was in remission for a year before we got the news that his cancer had metastasized in his lungs and the prognosis was terminal. While we didn't do a trip like Disney, we did do a road trip to an amusement park 10 hours away from where we live. He was sick and in pain, and used a motorized wheelchair, but we still love to remember the memories we created on that trip. Both of my brothers, their spouses, and all the grandchildren were there. I hope you are able to figure something out, and again, I'm so sorry about your grandfather!

There was a Disney on Ice in my town but he did not go. He has been doing better recently but he gets chemo again on Friday so he will be feeling sick again shortly.
We actually live under 8 hours from Disneyland but don't know how well he would do and I would hate for him to not enjoy it. We were even thinking Legoland since that is a little smaller but they were all booked up for the week my son is off from school, he wanted to go to the Legoland hotel.

I’m really sorry about your grandfather. My MIL is terminal and going through chemo and is very week from it. She has her “good” days and really bad days. I don’t think she would be able to travel.

I know this isn’t a Disney idea but some friends of ours rented a large house on the beach with her elderly parents that can’t travel well. I think there were 12 of them in the house. The house was right on the beach and there was a nice pool and deck for lounging. They were there for a long weekend, relaxed and enjoyed each others company. This would be more relaxing than Disney and your family can spend time together.

Another thought....my MIL arranged her treatments with the doctor so that she wasn't on chemo for a brief time during the holidays so she wouldn't feel as lousy.

Hugs to you and your family.

I am so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. Is it possible for your son to miss a day or two of school to go to the LEGOLAND hotel? Nothing is the same as going to a Disney park but maybe you can bring some of the magic to him - make some of his favorite Disney food and watch movies. Maybe you could even order him some ears or something or make t-shirts.

I'm so sorry to hear of your grandfathers diagnosis. We too have recently had a family member have a stage 4 diagnosis, my younger sister having been over a year clear of intestinal cancer has been diagnosed with colon cancer. The cancer has metastasized and spread to her periteneum. It's a matter of time before it spreads elsewhere.

Having been through chemo before and being told that she has only a 3% chance of it having any positive effect she has opted not to take that path. She is waiting on a liver scan to see if she is okay for immunotherapy. This will maybe give her another couple of years but still the current prognosis is not great and she will eventually succumb to the cancer.

One of her wishes in life was to be able to take her 2 daughters to WDW and together with my brothers will will make that dream come true this coming September. My sister and her family will be staying at OKW and I will be making a surprise visit to see her. She and I have not seen one another in nearly 20 years mainly due to my moving to the US, she lives back in the UK, but also due to unfortunate family issues. We've all grown up somewhat since then and there is enough regret to go around.

We are moving forward, she gets to fulfill a dream and I get to see my little sis again.

I truly hope all is as beautiful as it can be for you now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!