Cancellation policy for package w/ Good Neighbor hotels

Pdollar88

DIS Veteran
Looking into booking a package reservation once they open up for March 2019. The cancellation policy says something to the effect that its refundable if cancelled prior to 30 days before check-in. Minus any cancellation fees charged by the hotel and some other incidentals.

Does anyone know how common cancellation fees are with Good Neighbor hotels? Or how steep they are?

I ask because it's not a guarantee that I can get my bf to go. So I'd like to have a reservation booked, but it wouldn't be a for-sure trip.

Looking into booking a package reservation once they open up for March 2019. The cancellation policy says something to the effect that its refundable if cancelled prior to 30 days before check-in. Minus any cancellation fees charged by the hotel and some other incidentals.

Does anyone know how common cancellation fees are with Good Neighbor hotels? Or how steep they are?

I ask because it's not a guarantee that I can get my bf to go. So I'd like to have a reservation booked, but it wouldn't be a for-sure trip.

Ahhh the fine print...

For a trip to Disneyland, I don't feel a package is really necessary.
Booking directly with the hotel and buying your park tickets is easy enough.

Many of the Hotels on Harbor have a no fee cancellation policy, if cancelled with a few days notice.

Booking a hotel yourself gives you more cancellation flexibility and you won't have to worry about 30days.

Plus many of the hotels only require a major credit card to hold the reservation. You aren't having to pay a deposit like you do for a package.

Awesome. Thank you for the tips! I usually don't get a package at WDW for the same reasons, I guess I'm just a bit nervous about Disneyland planning.

I had my eye on the Fairfield Inn that was across the street - so I'll look into booking them directly. By not buying a package, I can also add Maxpass to my ticket purchase in advance. Hooray!

**Edited - Fairfield isn't showing availability for my dates (March 2-9 or so). Other Good Neighbor hotels are available - I wonder if it's too early to see all the availability?

Last edited:

Adding MP to your ticket in advance isn't always necessary, just so you know. It is so easy to buy MP day of as soon as you go through the turnstiles. If you already have your ticket scanned into the app and a credit card on file, it literally takes 2 or 3 minutes to add MP to your ticket. So if you wait to see how crowded the parks are each day of your trip, you might not need to buy MP every day. (Unless, of course, you get hooked from day one -- which can happen! -- then you might want to buy it every day!)
Do you want/have to stay at a Marriott property, hence the FFI? There are several Marriott properties within walking distance (varying distances) of the parks. Read this recent thread for some good info about choosing a DLR area hotel: Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You.

If you are not booking an onsite hotel I don't think there is any advantage to booking through Disney - booking with the hotel directly gives you access to better room choice and normally a very relaxed cancellation term - like day before type cancellation without any deposit required.

We added MP each day after park entry and it was so easy. Takes like a minute pretty much.

Adding MP to your ticket in advance isn't always necessary, just so you know. It is so easy to buy MP day of as soon as you go through the turnstiles. If you already have your ticket scanned into the app and a credit card on file, it literally takes 2 or 3 minutes to add MP to your ticket. So if you wait to see how crowded the parks are each day of your trip, you might not need to buy MP every day. (Unless, of course, you get hooked from day one -- which can happen! -- then you might want to buy it every day!)
Do you want/have to stay at a Marriott property, hence the FFI? There are several Marriott properties within walking distance (varying distances) of the parks. Read this recent thread for some good info about choosing a DLR area hotel: Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You.

I have a feeling I'm going to be a Maxpass junkie. But it might make sense to wait and add it.

I'm not married to the FFI or a Marriott property. Thank you for the link to the thread! I think I comfortably fall in category 2. I'll be looking into the Best Western you mentioned in the thread.

I would like early entry to the parks every day, but I don't think staying at DLR resort is feasible at the moment. Maybe for one or two nights.

Buying a package to go to Disneyland is almost always a bad idea. And don't get too hung up on the good neighbor designation. Disneyland hands that out if the hotel pays them the right to say it but some of the hotels that have it are not so great. There does not seem to be requirements they have to meet to get that designation. If there is, they are not strictly followed. Just book a place that is within an easy walking distance. Preferably on Harbor Blvd or on Katella near the intersection of Harbor.

Just curious - do you have a favorite? I'm looking for a moderate price.

We like to stay at the Hotel Indigo. With our AAA discount the price is pretty good. We have booked a stay there in late October and we are paying 137 on week nights and 146 on weekends. The decor is modern and well maintained. The bathroom is completely separate from the bedroom and this is a big deal for us because my wife wakes up much earlier than I do. The walk to Disney takes us 10 minutes in the morning and 15 at night due to the crowds on the sidewalks filled with people going back to their hotels and our tired feet. They have free parking under ground in a secure lot and they don't charge any kind of hotel fees. Also a lot of restaurants at the Garden Walk next door and a convenience store within a 1 minute walk and a 24 hour Walgreens directly across the street. We have stayed there a number of times and always enjoyed our time. And if you do stay there, book directly with IHG.com to get the best refundable rate if you need to cancel for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Ouch. It looks like my target dates (March 3-8 or 9) are full at the Best Western Plus. I could do a shorter trip - they have availability for that.

Just looking at others, the Marriott theme park entrance only has “special event” pricing that is nonrefundable after one day of booking.

This was all looking at the hotels’ direct booking pages.

Last edited:
Ouch. It looks like my target dates (March 3-8 or 9) are full at the Best Western Plus. I could do a shorter trip - they have availability for that.

Just looking at others, the Marriott theme park entrance only has “special event” pricing that is nonrefundable after one day of booking.

This was all looking at the hotels’ direct booking pages.
If online you can't book your dates, CALL the hotel directly.
They may have a way to book your dates.

...I would like early entry to the parks every day, but I don't think staying at DLR resort is feasible at the moment...

Don't forget that with tickets of 3 days or longer (purchased in advance, not at the ticket booths) you get a Magic Morning at DL. That means you get one hour early entry on one morning (Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday) at DL (not DCA). So even if you don't stay on site, you can still get one early entry at DL with a multi-day ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter