Cancel Sanaa for a Boardwalk restaurant?

NYEmomma

DIS Veteran
20 days away and I'm second-guessing one of our evening plans. On our AK day I have dinner reservations at Sanaa for me, husband and daughters age 10, 6 and 6. We ate at Sanaa last year on our adults-only anniversary trip and LOVED it but I know it's not going to be our kids favorite. We're also doing Satuli for lunch that day and again, not going to be top of the kids lists but they'll manage.

We're staying at Boardwalk which will probably be a once in a lifetime thing for us because of the obscenely ridiculous price we rented dvc points for. I'm never going to get that lucky again. We don't have any Boardwalk meals planned though we do have Cape May the morning we leave.

Do I cancel Sanaa and try to find an ADR somewhere on Boardwalk and spend our evening there?? If so which restaurants would you recommend?? DH and I ate at Trattoria al Forno on our anniversary trip but haven't tried any of the other restaurants

There's ADR's open for Flying Fish, Trattoria and the ESPN Club. There's also Ale & Compass open.

FF would be my first choice but but I'm biased. On our last 2 trips we've eaten there twice per trip, LOL
What kind of food do you like?

If you love Seafood Flying Fish is a great quality place. It is one of our favorite places at WDW for seafood. They're two very different places so I'd say it comes down to your food preferences.

I would keep Sanaa for the view and the uniqueness and go to Pandora at night afterward.

If you have the tickets, you could consider any of the EPCOT World Showcase restaurants as well. There are many good choices right inside the gate...The Rose and Crown is personal favorite. It is an easy 10 min walk to the International Gateway from Boardwalk. If no tickets or no desire to enter another park, my kids love Beaches and Cream though the place is small and you would likely need to get a reservation. We also have just gotten pizza or hot dogs on the Boardwalk.

We have not eaten anywhere at AKL, so I can't weigh in on the trade off with that part.

Yes. I wouldn’t cancel Sanna for a Boardwalk reservation. Flying Fish gets rave reviews, but it is a Signature and expensive. ESPN is a Sports Bar and fun if that is something you would like. We are trying Ale & Compass this trip.

I loved Sanaa (that bread service....yum!), but if you do want to eat at the Boardwalk, Flying Fish is *fantastic*. My husband loved their seafood (I think he had swordfish), but I had staek and it was FANTASTIC. Only downside is that it's a bit pricey.

If this visit is a once-and-done at BWI and you don't already have an evening planned there, I would definitely plan a meal there. Of the ones you mention, FF is our favorite, but it is on the pricier side. Ale & Compass is good, but, if you want the Boardwalk vibe, I would probably do Trattoria over A&Y. If you aren't on the dining plan, you may also want to consider heading over to bluezoo at the Dolphin which is tied with FF as my fave in the Boardwalk area. An evening on the Boardwalk is SO fun! The magicians and jugglers are great and you can even rent a surrey bike and ride around the Boardwalk. Whichever restaurant you choose, if you like ice cream, I would skip dessert at the restaurant and get dessert at Ample Hills!

Either is a good option.
You don't say what time your ADR at Sanaa is, but if its afterdark, you won't be able to see the animals while dining.
If you are considering going back to Pandora to walk through after eating, definitely eat at Sanaa.
On Boardwalk, FF is a favorite, but as mentioned it is a Signature, so its not cheap. Have not eaten at Trattoria so can't comment.
If you have park hoppers, Via Napoli has been of a favorite of kids.

You can take a look at the restaurants at The Swan and Dolphin too. In my opinion, they have the best set of restaurants of any hotel at Disney and they are an easy walk from The Boardwalk.

You can take a look at the restaurants at The Swan and Dolphin too. In my opinion, they have the best set of restaurants of any hotel at Disney and they are an easy walk from The Boardwalk.
Very true. Il Mulino is very good. Just ate at BlueZoo on our last trip and it was amazing! Definitely going back.
Haven't tried Shulas, so can't comment.

Very true. Il Mulino is very good. Just ate at BlueZoo on our last trip and it was amazing! Definitely going back.
Haven't tried Shulas, so can't comment.
Should you get Jackie as a server at bluezoo runnnnnn for the hills! She's just that uninterested in her chosen profession :scared:.

Should you get Jackie as a server at bluezoo runnnnnn for the hills! She's just that uninterested in her chosen profession :scared:.
I don't recall who our server was, but he was awesome! wish I remembered his name as would love to have him again.

I don't recall who our server was, but he was awesome! wish I remembered his name as would love to have him again.
I remember the particularly bad and the particularly good.
Wrote a scorching but polite email to the powers that be and just received an appropriate response back that wiped out our tab for Christmas Day dinner and an invitation to return at 25% off the cost. I'll think about the return but having earned the free dinner the old fashioned way not sure what year I'll return if ever.
Sad ending to a much anticipated meal.

I remember the particularly bad and the particularly good.
Wrote a scorching but polite email to the powers that be and just received an appropriate response back that wiped out our tab for Christmas Day dinner and an invitation to return at 25% off the cost. I'll think about the return but having earned the free dinner the old fashioned way not sure what year I'll return if ever.
Sad ending to a much anticipated meal.
What was wrong when you went? I'm staying at the Boardwalk and looking for places to eat for our trip

What was wrong when you went? I'm staying at the Boardwalk and looking for places to eat for our trip

Here's what I wrote on a different thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/c...-a-huge-letdown.3712625/page-18#post-60102180

I dinna mention our appetizers in any of the posts: he had littleneck clams and oysters on the half shell; delicious and pristinely fresh. I had the chowder which is actually more of a puree with tons of clam flavor. I'd slurp it back again in a heartbeat.
I think the saddest part was the meal started out so well and then steadily but surely went downhill.

I suspect I'll return at some time but it won't be soon:(.

We love Kimonos for Sushi

I ended up canceling Sanaa and getting Trattoria al Forno... this Boardwalk stay will likely be a once in a lifetime thing for us AND our Sanaa reservations were after dark, so we wouldn't be able to enjoy the sights of the resort anyways.

20 days away and I'm second-guessing one of our evening plans. On our AK day I have dinner reservations at Sanaa for me, husband and daughters age 10, 6 and 6. We ate at Sanaa last year on our adults-only anniversary trip and LOVED it but I know it's not going to be our kids favorite. We're also doing Satuli for lunch that day and again, not going to be top of the kids lists but they'll manage.

We're staying at Boardwalk which will probably be a once in a lifetime thing for us because of the obscenely ridiculous price we rented dvc points for. I'm never going to get that lucky again. We don't have any Boardwalk meals planned though we do have Cape May the morning we leave.

Do I cancel Sanaa and try to find an ADR somewhere on Boardwalk and spend our evening there?? If so which restaurants would you recommend?? DH and I ate at Trattoria al Forno on our anniversary trip but haven't tried any of the other restaurants

There's ADR's open for Flying Fish, Trattoria and the ESPN Club. There's also Ale & Compass open.

Personally, if it were my AK day I would keep the reservation at Sanaa and head back to AK to see Pandora at night, and do a Boardwalk restaurant on an Epcot, HS, or resort day. I've heard Flying Fish is great, but I haven't been there since the refresh. For any other meals I'd just assume go into Epcot and try something from world showcase.

On the other hand, if you think the kids will be tired and you won't be going back into the park after dinner, I would probably just get something quick on the Boardwalk. Getting from AK Lodge back to the boardwalk can be a trek when using the buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!