Cancel and Rebook? - Sapphire Falls and Costco

wintersongbird

Earning My Ears
Hello,

My family booked the Wizarding World package directly through Universal for travel in June. We got a good price on the Holiday Inn Across from Universal, and have only put down the $200 deposit.

This may seem obvious, but I've gotten conflicting info. We have since found a package via Costco for the same trip (minus Harry Potter stuff) but with stay at Sapphire Falls which looks much nicer than Holiday Inn. We can also achieve about the same price and upgrade through Universal to either Aventura or Cabana Bay.

I have three questions. First, will I get my whole $200 deposit back if I cancel through Universal this far out?
Second, has anyone else booked through Costco travel and has the experience been smooth? I see that they offer Costco Cash Cards with 4 night stays, but it doesn't say anything about how or when those come in. Third, would you all strongly recommend one of these four hotels over the other for a family with 11 and 9 y/o and why?

Thanks for all your help!

First, will I get my whole $200 deposit back if I cancel through Universal this far out?

You will have to read through your booking confirmation to see what was agreed to when you made the booking.

I’ve used Costco for other travel and it’s gone well. Costco cashcards are sent after travel.

But packages are often not the best bargain. Have you looked at just booking the hotel and buying tickets separately? Undercovertourist often has nice prices on tickets, and they are absolutely legitimate.

I personally prefer staying at one of the three deluxes in order to get unlimited express pass. Therefore I haven’t stayed at sapphire, aventura, or cabana.

Universal is really good about refunds and the fine print on your reservation probably gives you details.

I have stayed at all the Universal Resorts and they are all an upgrade from Holiday Inn just from the shear easibilty of getting to the parks. Sapphire is awesome and beautiful. The pool has a water slide and is so kid friendly. There are ping pong tables, a game room. But you will find that the short boat ride to the parks is a major convenience. You get early entry to Harry Potter, but you don’t get the express pass (front of the line). You only get EP when you stay at RPR, HR, or PF. Cabana Bay is a fun one for the kids with so much to do there and if you are going to Volcano Bay it is less than 20 steps. Aventura seems not as fun for kids.

So I would choose Sapphire (and have many times for my family) out of the 3 you asked about, but if you could swing RPR that unlimited express pass is gold.

I don’t know the Costco refund rules but confused about upgrade from Sapphire to Cabana Bay or Aventura. Sapphire is an upgrade from those 2.
If you can get refund from Costco booking (Holiday Inn)I would switch to Sapphire Falls. It’s a resort vs just a hotel. And you’re closer to the parks and can walk or water taxi.

I’ve stayed at the Doubletree across the street from the Holiday Inn, if that’s the same one you booked. Walking is doable but I found it a rather long walk. I tried it once, then took hotel shuttle the rest of the time. The next trips after that I stayed on site. It is a huge difference staying onsite.

We booked a package through Costco and stayed at Portifino Bay last October. It actually saved us quite a bit over booking through Universal and there was absolutely no hiccups. My husband just had to go to the desk right outside the club lounge the morning we arrived to pick up our tickets and we were off. The back of our tickets did say “Costco” but I don’t think it made a difference at all at the hotel or the park. I was so amazed that we saved going through Costco and then we got the Costco card, as well. The express pass was amazing to have so I highly recommend staying where you can get that if you can swing it.

I wish Costco could book room only instead of just packages. We are pass holders so no need for tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!