Canadian Disney Gift cards now work at the Park

Our CAA rep AND local Disney outlet store both confirmed you can use the Cdn GC in WDW and that the card works the same as if you were using a Prepaid Visa, the exchange is calculated at the time of each purchase.

Our CAA rep AND local Disney outlet store both confirmed you can use the Cdn GC in WDW and that the card works the same as if you were using a Prepaid Visa, the exchange is calculated at the time of each purchase.

Just clarifying, when you say at the time of each purchase, do you mean each purchase of the gift cards or each purchase using the already purchased gift cards? I can't make the purchase through Disney World until April when Free dining comes out next year, but if I can lock in an exchange rate through average cost averaging(ie buy regular amounts to average out the rate I pay) then I would like to.

Just clarifying, when you say at the time of each purchase, do you mean each purchase of the gift cards or each purchase using the already purchased gift cards? I can't make the purchase through Disney World until April when Free dining comes out next year, but if I can lock in an exchange rate through average cost averaging(ie buy regular amounts to average out the rate I pay) then I would like to.
gskywalker, the way I understand it you purchase (for example) a $100 CDN Disney gift card here. When you go to purchase something in the US using this preloaded giftcard, they will take from the CDN balance the equivalent of US $$ with the exchange at that day and time of purchase. If you use it again the next day, the exchange rate would probably be different and your purchase cost deducted from the gift card will probably be different. I agree that dollar cost average works out in the long run, that's why I keep making payments to CAA on my room only reservation as I can afford it instead of paying on checkin next April when we get there.

Have fun!

Sorry if this has already been answered! Has anyone actually used the Canadian gc at the parks/resorts? I’d hate to have all these gc and not be able to use them when I get there.

Sorry if this has already been answered! Has anyone actually used the Canadian gc at the parks/resorts? I’d hate to have all these gc and not be able to use them when I get there.

Yes, I was there last week and used Disney gcs bought in Canada, exchange at the time was $38.97 for a $50 Cdn gc. I was at MK guest services and had 4 gcs, allowed three methods of payment per transaction so did two transactions using 2 gc and room charge for each transaction.

Just to confirm, I bought the giftcards on separate days, the exchange rate I received was the same for all 4 cards so it would have been the exchange rate of the day of purchase.

Last edited:
Yes, I was there last week and used Disney gcs bought in Canada, exchange at the time was $38.97 for a $50 Cdn gc. I was at MK guest services and had 4 gcs, allowed three methods of payment per transaction so did two transactions using 2 gc and room charge for each transaction.

Just to confirm, I bought the giftcards on separate days, the exchange rate I received was the same for all 4 cards so it would have been the exchange rate of the day of purchase.
Thank you! I plan to use them to pay for our room when we check in so it sounds like I should be good. I’ve been purchasing them at our Independant Grocer and using my PC points so that gives me a nice little discount.

Thank you! I plan to use them to pay for our room when we check in so it sounds like I should be good. I’ve been purchasing them at our Independant Grocer and using my PC points so that gives me a nice little discount.

Thought I should add that exchange rate matched what I was paying on our Marriott no foreign exchange fee visa card.

Marriott: Buffalo night before (two transactions) 1.286472149, 1.291604037
Marriott:MCO airport night before (two transactions) 1.291870715, 1.286449400
GC: WDW gc rate at mk 1.2830382
Marriott: WDW Room payment day after 1.287857997

You can use PC points to pay for a Disney GC? uhm... I now have a new way to spend DH's PC points. More cash that won't be coming out of our bank account for next years trip.

You can use PC points to pay for a Disney GC? uhm... I now have a new way to spend DH's PC points. More cash that won't be coming out of our bank account for next years trip.
I don’t know if they’d let me use them if I was just buying the Disney cards but I’d bought groceries as well and had no problem redeeming my points!

That would work. I'd justify that as a GC purchase with points. I'll give it a try when I pick up groceries next time.

Hi Tink or Others. You mean that the disney giftcard is also sold at grocery stores in Canada. You mentioned independant is that where you bought yours? Also what other grocery stores will sell the disney giftcard.

Deb.

Hi Tink or Others. You mean that the disney giftcard is also sold at grocery stores in Canada. You mentioned independant is that where you bought yours? Also what other grocery stores will sell the disney giftcard.

Deb.
I bought mine at Independent. That’s the only place I’ve seen them but I live in a pretty small town!

That would work. I'd justify that as a GC purchase with points. I'll give it a try when I pick up groceries next time.

They tend to be pretty strict on not allowing a GC purchase with PC points. You can buy $50 worth of groceries and a $50 GC and they will only allow you to use 50000 PC points. However - you can make your brain believe that the GC were "free" and you paid for the groceries. That's how I work my cash AM. :)

Found some 25$ and 50$ GC at Walmart and Jean Coutu (QC pharmacy chain) so far.

Superstore in Alberta Just started getting them as of December of 2017.

You can't buy GC's solely with your PC points since they got scammed earlier this year, but yes, you can get GC's at the same time you get your groceries and convince yourself the cards are with points.

Something I've been doing to jump the PC hurdle is to buy GC's for the grocery store using PC Points when I get Groceries and keep those stashed away, that way when I need GC's for other places I just use the grocery store GC's to buy GC's for other places, That way you don't have to wait to get groceries if you're in a hurry, or you would need to get groceries 10 times to use your points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter