Canadian Disney Gift Cards for trip?

A little bit off topic:
I have my HBC linked to Airmiles. Can I unlink it then link with my Petro card? We have been filing with Petro Canada lately. Earning 20% more points would be great.

A little bit off topic:
I have my HBC linked to Airmiles. Can I unlink it then link with my Petro card? We have been filing with Petro Canada lately. Earning 20% more points would be great.
Mine is linked to both. I dont shop at the Bay. I earn petropoints that get me HBC points, these get converted to airmiles every few months.

You can optimize this too. If you are a CAA member you get 20% more Petropoints and CAA dollars, pay with an RBC mastercard you get another 20% more Petropoints and 3 cents off each liter of gas, and link your HBC rewards card you get another 20% more Petropoints and HBC rewards points. That's 60% more Petropoints when you fill up along with other benefits. Petropoints is the only points program I can find that allows us to convert points to Disney giftcards. If anyone knows of another points program that converts directly to Disney giftcards, please share.

Wow-that is amazing! I had been collecting them before and converting them to CAA dollars but it seems to take forever to accumulate enough so I have been flipping between Shell for AMs and Mobile for the PC points (kind of depends on where I am and when I need to get gas) I did not know about linking my HBC, I am going to do that right now! Thank you!

Mine is linked to both. I dont shop at the Bay. I earn petropoints that get me HBC points, these get converted to airmiles every few months.
Once I link the two, do I earn Petro points when I fill gas or HBC points? DH doesn’t care about airmiles, and I don’t want to touch his Petro points, but I know he would love to earn 20% more Petro points on each fill. I want to make sure I understand the process before I link. TIA!

Once I link the two, do I earn Petro points when I fill gas or HBC points? DH doesn’t care about airmiles, and I don’t want to touch his Petro points, but I know he would love to earn 20% more Petro points on each fill. I want to make sure I understand the process before I link. TIA!

I get both (petro points and hbc), and the HBC flip to Airmiles eventually when they build up.

Is there a limit to the amount you can purchase the gift card for? Should I get 1 card at $1000 or 10 at $100?

There are a few benefits of buying and using gift cards. Here are some of them:

1) Disney gift cards don't charge you the ~2.5% f/x fee that most Canadian credit cards charge you when you purchase something in US$, so you are essentially saving 2.5% vs. using most Canadian C$ cards.

2) Since you are paying for them in C$, you don't have to buy US$ from the bank and pay the banks' higher exchange rate. So a savings of ~2.5% vs using a Canadian US$ credit card.

3) If you buy them at a grocery store or drug store that allows you to buy them with a credit card, and you use a credit card that, say, gives you 5% back on purchases, you are essentially getting the card at a 5% discount.

Can you pay for DVC with a gift card?

You can optimize this too. If you are a CAA member you get 20% more Petropoints and CAA dollars, pay with an RBC mastercard you get another 20% more Petropoints and 3 cents off each liter of gas, and link your HBC rewards card you get another 20% more Petropoints and HBC rewards points. That's 60% more Petropoints when you fill up along with other benefits. Petropoints is the only points program I can find that allows us to convert points to Disney giftcards. If anyone knows of another points program that converts directly to Disney giftcards, please share.

How do you redeem your petro points for Disney gift cards?

Inside the store... You can pick from any of the cards on the rack and bring them up to the cashier to redeem your points to buy them. I haven't done this yet as I am building up lots of points, but I confirmed it with two different cashiers about a month ago when I was developing my strategy. If anyone has datapoints from personal experience, please share!

I had $23 in points, just took up the card I wanted, said I wanted to apply my points. They did it in a separate transaction from my gas purchase. I'd only been collecting PP for a little bit, normally I use Shell but I saw they had Disney giftcards and got a promotional email saying I could use my points on anything, including giftcards, so I switched :) I will say I may have eaten more ice cream bars than I should have... we live walking distance to Petro and they had quite a few "buy two get xx points" over the summer...

Does anyone know if there is a way to check what exchange rate you will get when using gift cards to purchase tickets direct from Disney?

Does anyone know if there is a way to check what exchange rate you will get when using gift cards to purchase tickets direct from Disney?

I normally check on the disneygiftcard.com site, it shows me what the card is worth in USD. Not sure if that is what you mean? If you are purchasing online, when you add the giftcard as payment it will tell you how much is available.

I normally check on the disneygiftcard.com site, it shows me what the card is worth in USD. Not sure if that is what you mean? If you are purchasing online, when you add the giftcard as payment it will tell you how much is available.
Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

The rate is the daily exchange rate on the actual day you use it, so it can fluctuate.

It's actually very close to the exact closing rate of the exchange for the previous day. I was tracking it for awhile and it never deviated from this. It's currently giving me 1.3247 (0.7549) and the previous closing prices are 1.3246 (0.7548).

If you're staying on site, you can also use the Disney GC's to pay for your trip. They (Disney TA's) just ask that if you have multiple cards, you transfer the amounts to one card, up to the $1000 limit. Then you call and have the amount applied against the outstanding balance of your vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!