Canadian Disney Gift Cards for trip?

Thanks all! Indeed, had my girlfriend check Loblaws last night while she was there and they had custom load ones up to $500. I have an Aeroplan credit card which gives me a slight bonus on grocery store purchases so being able to save on exchange fees *and* maximize my CC rewards is best of both worlds for me.

On a separate note, if I was to use a gift card to pay a hotel deposit and end up cancelling, would the refund come back to the gift card I use? And I assume it would be refunded at the exchange rate when I get the refund and not at the rate when I used it?

Thanks all! Indeed, had my girlfriend check Loblaws last night while she was there and they had custom load ones up to $500. I have an Aeroplan credit card which gives me a slight bonus on grocery store purchases so being able to save on exchange fees *and* maximize my CC rewards is best of both worlds for me.

On a separate note, if I was to use a gift card to pay a hotel deposit and end up cancelling, would the refund come back to the gift card I use? And I assume it would be refunded at the exchange rate when I get the refund and not at the rate when I used it?
Any refunds go back on the gift card (keep the card). I also keep track via a spreadsheet and use disneygiftcard.com.

Exchange rate is the day of the return.

For me, I get 4% cashback at grocery stores on my card. Plus, you then dont pay the 2.5% exchange rate fees that banks charge. Disney gives you the previous days closing rate.

The USD/CAD value going up or down is irrelevant for people who know they will go to Disney again at some point and you are gonna get dinged with exchange rate whenever you decide to go no matter what.

So, for example $5000 worth of Dis gift cards we get $200 cash back AND save on the 2.5% fx fee. Even if you dont get cashback it is worth it to not pay the extra 2.5%, IMO.

The exchange rate, which Old Navy does, too, with it C$/US$ gift cards, is one of the best reasons to consider getting one. I love getting the Real Rate, plain and simple.
I know the international shipping costs kind of kills it, but you can still use the gift cards at shopDisney even if we no longer have physical stores to walk into and shop. Again, you save on your credit card's crappy exchange rate.

Tough to figure it all out and we are all trying to save for our trips. A dis-er recommended Knightsbridge Currency for exchanging funds, super easy and no credit card exchange rate. I think I did a good exchange last year when the Cdn dollar was solid. I opened a US dollar account at Meridian and got a US dollar credit card. I used it to put down our deposit and will pay off the trip. I watch the dollar against the US and just e- transfer funds to Knoghtsbridge to be deposited into my US acct. In the big picture who knows if I saved at all.
I would say, as long as you are avoiding the 2.5% fx fee you are ahead. (Caveat being if you have to pay a yearly fee on the USD credit card and/or a monthly fee on the USD bank acct).

I would say, as long as you are avoiding the 2.5% fx fee you are ahead. (Caveat being if you have to pay a yearly fee on the USD credit card and/or a monthly fee on the USD bank acct).
I didnt realize there was a yearly fee on the credit card. I think I just lost any kind of savings. Oh well.

I didnt realize there was a yearly fee on the credit card. I think I just lost any kind of savings. Oh well.
Check with the CC company. My US CC has a $35 annual fee but if I spend $1000 on it the fee is waived. It's not hard to spend that when I travel all the time. Now last year I was not able to travel at all so I called the CC company and asked about fee waiver due to covid and they did just that, no questions asked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!