Canadian Buffoon's Disney With a Teen Vacation - 08/13 - The Wrap

So I've been to Montreal 4 times now in the past 3 years for business -- and the one place I ALWAYS go to for dinner is the same place you guys went to! I love that place. Ended up going there as a plan B my second night in Montreal.

We love the Keg. It's our go to place for pretty much any occasion.
"It's your birthday! Let's go to the Keg!"
"It's our anniversary! Let's go to the Keg!"
"It's National Talk Like a Pirate day! Let's go to the Keg!"
"It's a Tuesday! Let's go to the Keg!"

Funny story. The first time I went to Montreal, I was pretty unfamiliar with the French language, so I had no idea how things were pronounced. I asked the concierge at the hotel where a good sports bar was located so I could watch the NBA playoffs (The Montreal Canadiens were playing in the playoffs at that time, so it was not going to be easy finding a place that would have a tv showing the NBA). The guy told me to check out what sounded like "La Casual Spa."

At this point, I'm thinking he's trying to send me to a strip club of some sort

In Montreal, this is a very normal assumption to make.

(for those of you that haven't been to Montreal, there are a lot of erotic massage spas in the downtown area -- go back and look at pkondz's lunch picture at Dunnes).

::yes:: No one else mentioned it.
I would've given you bonus points! :laughing:

I repeated, this time more slowly, "No. I'm looking for a sports bar. You know, with basketball on the television. Not a strip club." He said he understood, and again repeated, "La Casual Spa. They have lots of TVs. I'm sure you can get the NBA game on one of them." Figuring there was something lost in translation, I asked him to write the name of the establishment down so that I could find it on my phone. It was written as thus:

"La Cage aux Sports"

I then went "aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh. 'Spa' equals 'sports.' And 'Casual' equals 'cage aux.' You were saying 'The Sports Cage.'"

:lmao: No! :rotfl:

Then again, The Sports Cage
sounds like a strip joint too.

So I head down to the place, but then realize that it is located right next to the Bell Centre where the playoff game was actually being played, so needless to say, it was jam packed and impossible to get into. So I ended up backtracking and going with his second suggestion of "The Keg." Glad I found it, because it is so good.

But did they have the NBA game on?

I always get the calamari (they do a sweet and spicy side sauce that is really good) and then I get the wedge salad with sirloin steak added. So good. Usually go with a double tall crown and coke as well...since I'm in Canada and all.

I vary my meals there.
Appy: French Onion soup or Escargot
Main: Filet Mignon and lobster or Prime Rib and lobster.

And once in a blue moon,
if I have room left
(Which isn't often)
Billy Miner Pie for dessert.

Actually -- I get double tall Crown and coke pretty much everywhere I go.

One must maintain one's standards.

This last trip, I found a pretty nice sushi place (Sushi Nippon -- near Peel Metro station). It's like a fast casual type place -- so didn't take too long and wasn't too expensive.

I'll never remember that.
Tell me again, next time I go.

:rolleyes:

Whatever you do in Montreal -- do not go to the Biodome place. It is really awful. I'm assuming it hasn't been updated since it was built (presumably for the Olympics)?

Funny you should say that.
I Googled "things to do"
and that always comes up.
And it has zero appeal.

But did they have the NBA game on?

The Keg did not have the game on until after the hockey ended...and I still only got them to change one tv (apparently people wanted the after show on). Not sure if La Cage had it on any TVs since I didn't even bother to walk in. I took one look at the massive crowd gathered at the entrance and just turned around. I had eaten at a different location for lunch that day, so I wasn't feeling it too much.

The other place I like to hit up is a cigar bar (stogies cigar lounge). It's quite expensive due to the local tariffs (some cigars are $40+), but it's a nice and relaxing environment. And they also have outdoor seating on the 2nd story balcony, which can be fun to sit and people watch.

The Keg did not have the game on until after the hockey ended...and I still only got them to change one tv (apparently people wanted the after show on).

I'm surprised they even let you watch it on one TV.

Not sure if La Cage had it on any TVs since I didn't even bother to walk in. I took one look at the massive crowd gathered at the entrance and just turned around. I had eaten at a different location for lunch that day, so I wasn't feeling it too much.

I can see that.
I'll pass on crowds more often than not.

The other place I like to hit up is a cigar bar (stogies cigar lounge). It's quite expensive due to the local tariffs (some cigars are $40+), but it's a nice and relaxing environment. And they also have outdoor seating on the 2nd story balcony, which can be fun to sit and people watch.

Where is that?

Well -- this thread popped up on the bottom of a page, so I clicked on it and realized I never answered your last question -- so I figured better late than never.
Weird that it did!
Nice of you to answer. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter