Canadian $ and when to pay off Disney balance?

Zombie

Mouseketeer
Hi all ...

Thanks for all your previous advice on Disney gift cards and bank transaction fees. Based on that we are going the suggested route of using Disney gift cards to pay off the balance of our Disney vacation package for December.

We've already bought some of the cards and loaded them onto 'disneygiftcard' site so we can see the USD value daily and how it flocculates with the dollar (and geo-political games and the stock markets).

We have until Nov. 9 to pay off our trip so we haven't applied them against our outstanding balance just yet. And we have more to buy between now and then too.

But we're wondering if we should wait and watch the dollar. I know sometimes the dollar sees a bump after the federal election and I'm assuming if it's a Conservative majority the stock markets and big business are going to be happy and we might see a bit of a bump in the dollar. But if there does happen to be a minority or the Liberals somehow pull it off and the markets don't like it we might see another dip and I'm not sure how much it will rebound before Nov. 9.

Then there's the stuff going on in the US with the impeachment and the trade war with China and just the global stock markets not being great and heading toward another recession and just economic uncertainty.

I know in reality a month is unlikely to make a big difference either way. But if anyone has any thoughts or advice on when/how to best play the dollar to apply the gift cards to our trip balance (and if we should wait until the election or just go ahead and start applying the gift cards to the balance now), it'd be much appreciated.

I'm going to follow this thread. Honestly I wouldn't have given it much of a thought of seeing the dollar fluctuate much more than a nickel each way but my trip only needs to be paid in April.

Timing the markets is generally impossible to do well. However one fact is that currency markets do dislike the uncertainty before an election. It's more that the dollar tends to become depressed prior, and rebounds back to market value after. Doesn't seem to be much correlation to how "business friendly" the government is; just that the election is over and a government is formed.

Timing the markets is generally impossible to do well. However one fact is that currency markets do dislike the uncertainty before an election. It's more that the dollar tends to become depressed prior, and rebounds back to market value after. Doesn't seem to be much correlation to how "business friendly" the government is; just that the election is over and a government is formed.
Thanks for this. Good added insight. We’ve watched the value of our gift cards take a beating this week. So maybe we’ll gamble on the stabilization and wait until after.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter