Canadian Amazon Visa card

Well, after quite a bit of thought, I've decided to streamline my CC's. I have had the Home Trust for a bit now, and just used it during our trip to DLR. There are only 2 issues with it that I can think of. You cannot change your PIN for one, and you are limited to 10 transactions per day. The second one is a bit odd in my mind as I have never heard of a CC that does this. It was not a problem, but if you put everything on your CC when you are on holidays, it very well could be.

I have decided to dump it, as well as my Costco MC and current Visa Dividend Infinite. They will be replaced by the Scotia Passport which has no forex and a good package of travel insurance which includes trip cancellation. I have not seen many CCs that have this. Many have trip interruption but not cancellation. That alone will save me > $200 per trip. The $139 annual fee is a bit more than my current Visa, but in the end I will save more with this card.

Well, after quite a bit of thought, I've decided to streamline my CC's. I have had the Home Trust for a bit now, and just used it during our trip to DLR. There are only 2 issues with it that I can think of. You cannot change your PIN for one, and you are limited to 10 transactions per day. The second one is a bit odd in my mind as I have never heard of a CC that does this. It was not a problem, but if you put everything on your CC when you are on holidays, it very well could be.

I have decided to dump it, as well as my Costco MC and current Visa Dividend Infinite. They will be replaced by the Scotia Passport which has no forex and a good package of travel insurance which includes trip cancellation. I have not seen many CCs that have this. Many have trip interruption but not cancellation. That alone will save me > $200 per trip. The $139 annual fee is a bit more than my current Visa, but in the end I will save more with this card.

Ya I switched to the scotia passport card once amazon got rid of their offering. its really good, and you get 6 lounge visits / year, which as long as you use them, pays for the annual fee easily.

We had a Home Trust card but cancelled it. The one time we tried to use it --- it was declined. Were willing to put up with no ability to change the PIN but this was the final straw.... Even though it was properly activated it was declined when we tried to use it. What use is that? Since there was a zero balance on the thing and was within a month of activating it --- we wouldn't want to depend on it on a trip. Think we'll stick to more mainstream cards in the future ... sadly.

We had a Home Trust card but cancelled it. The one time we tried to use it --- it was declined. Were willing to put up with no ability to change the PIN but this was the final straw.... Even though it was properly activated it was declined when we tried to use it. What use is that? Since there was a zero balance on the thing and was within a month of activating it --- we wouldn't want to depend on it on a trip. Think we'll stick to more mainstream cards in the future ... sadly.

I've been using mine for months now and just came back from a Disney trip where I used it exclusively for the no-fee US $ conversion. Never had a problem and actually never had to input zip code on any gas pumps unlike the Amazon visa card.

I've been using mine for months now and just came back from a Disney trip where I used it exclusively for the no-fee US $ conversion. Never had a problem and actually never had to input zip code on any gas pumps unlike the Amazon visa card.

As always YMMV. No idea why this happened to us but it did --- so we felt we couldn't rely on it when in the US. Our experience wasn't good with the card. Never had an experience like this with any card EVER. It is what it is.... your experience was good ... ours sucked... doesn't make either less valid.... but it would make me nervous if I was relying on it exclusively on a trip. Just putting our experience out there - glad yours was better.

I have had a similar experience. I have not had any problems whatsoever (well, except remembering to input the proper PIN number lol) and I've had the card since February. I've used it in Canada and in the States. DD used it online from Finland. I'm very pleased with it so far. :thumbsup2

Bringing back this old thread just to make another plug for the Scotia Passport Visa. Not only does it have no forex and trip cancellation insurance, but you also get 6 lounge visits per year (can be used for yourself and your guests). Our flight home was delayed so we spent a couple of hours in the lounge at MCO. Nice comfy seats, free drinks (including booze), finger sandwiches, soups, dessert. We actually made a meal out of it. Since MDE departs 4 hours prior to international flights, I think we'll stop in at the lounge every time. That, along with the trip cancellation insurance more than pays for the annual fee. Great card.

That was lucky, deedubb. If you're going to be delayed, having lounge passes in a good airport is the way to go. :)

Since you brought the thread back, the Fido Mastercard is going to start allowing the cashback to be applied to purchases in Feb.

It's nice to see some changes to offerings in the marketplace. Now if only there were a Disney Visa with the perks the Americans get. ::yes::

I’ve been using our ‘free’ Brim Mastercard lately for online and travel expenses and we didn’t encounter any issue. Since we drive to FL and rarely fly, the lounge passes would be worthless for us but I can see the benefits for someone who flies often.

We are very pleased with our Rogers MC. Just last month we were offered the World Elite Mastercard, which we accepted. Our household income does not meet the threshold to apply, but apparently we were streaming enough dollars through the card to attract their attention. We have $0 debt (mortgage-free and fully paid for vehicle.) We do our normal day-to-day purchases on the Rogers card, as well as our Disney trips.

So... If anybody is interested in the Rogers card, you can apply for the Platinum card if you don't qualify for the World Elite card, and if you put all of your monthly expenses on it, you might be offered the World Elite card with 4% cash back on US purchases...

[snip]

So... If anybody is interested in the Rogers card, you can apply for the Platinum card if you don't qualify for the World Elite card, and if you put all of your monthly expenses on it, you might be offered the World Elite card with 4% cash back on US purchases...
Just so that it's clear for everyone: the Rogers World Elite Mastercard still charges you the 2.5% foreign transaction fee, so the net cashback on USD purchases is 1.5% (not 4%). Nevertheless, it's still better than what you'd get on most cards.

Thanks for bringing this back up. With a major European trip this summer and a DCL cruise to pay the balance on in a few months, I need to get a no FOREX card again. I missed the HSBC great offer just before Christmas, so am hoping to see a good bonus on one to apply for soon!

Thanks for bringing this back up. With a major European trip this summer and a DCL cruise to pay the balance on in a few months, I need to get a no FOREX card again. I missed the HSBC great offer just before Christmas, so am hoping to see a good bonus on one to apply for soon!

If you're interested in the Scotia Passport Infinite, apply through Great Canadian Rebates and get $50 back. You also get 25,000 points if you spend $1000 during the first 3 months. That was enough for me to get a $200 Costo cash card.

https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/details/Scotiabank-Passport-Infinite/

If you're interested in the Scotia Passport Infinite, apply through Great Canadian Rebates and get $50 back. You also get 25,000 points if you spend $1000 during the first 3 months. That was enough for me to get a $200 Costo cash card.

https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/details/Scotiabank-Passport-Infinite/

I've been trying to figure out how much their points are worth when you redeem them for travel. The HSBC card gives 3%, am I wrong in thinking Scotia is only 1%?

I've been trying to figure out how much their points are worth when you redeem them for travel. The HSBC card gives 3%, am I wrong in thinking Scotia is only 1%?

I am not entirely sure as the card is new to me and I have redeemed any points for travel. However, I suspect you are correct. You get 1 point for every $1 you spend on most items. A few things are 2 points per $1 such as groceries and dining. I don't think it's the greatest rewards program in that respect, and the yearly fee is high, but I make it all back with the trip cancellation, no forex, and lounge passes. So far, I am happy with it and will probably dump my Home Trust card soon (which I got prior to the Scotia one for the no forex).

Scotia points are worth 1 cent each if redeemed as a statement credit for travel expenses. You can use your points once you've accumulated 2,500 points I believe. The return is 2% on grocery, dining, entertainment (i.e., Disney park tickets, movie tickets, etc.) and transit (i.e., taxis, local commuter transportation, etc.) purchases, and 1% on everything else. The card comes with Priority Pass membership and six passes, as well as a comprehensive suite of travel insurance. Annual fee is $139. Sign-up bonus is 25,000 points (worth $250 as a statement credit on travel expenses) plus, @deedubb mentioned, $50 in cashback if you apply through greatcanadianrebates.ca

HSBC points are worth 0.5 cents each if redeemed as a statement credit for travel expenses. You can use your points once you've accumulated 25,000 points, and then only in increments of 10,000 points. The return is 3% on travel purchases (i.e., airline tickets, hotels, cruises, car rental, etc.) and 1.5% on everything else. The card comes with Boingo Wifi and a $100 "travel enhancement" credit, and the ability to convert your points to British Airways, Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific points, as well as a comprehensive suite of travel insurance. Annual fee is $149. Not sure what the sign-up bonus is now, but when I looked at the card it was 30,000 points (worth $150 as a statement credit on travel expenses).

They are both fantastic cards. It's a little tougher to redeem points with the HSBC card given you can only redeem starting at $125 and then in $50 increments after that. And, based on experience of others, HSBC is a pain to deal with if all you have is a credit card with them. (If you have other products with them, it's much better).

Last edited:
Thanks! It's so hard to sort them out sometimes. We'll likely be charging $25,000+ worth of travel expenses as well as using it for the no FOREX fee while doing a months travel in Europe this summer. @efrant, when I look at your post, it seems like in that case the HSBC would be a better return, or am I missing something?

Scotia points are worth 1 cent each if redeemed as a statement credit for travel expenses. You can use your points once you've accumulated 2,500 points I believe. The return is 2% on grocery, dining, entertainment (i.e., Disney park tickets, movie tickets, etc.) and transit (i.e., taxis, local commuter transportation, etc.) purchases, and 1% on everything else. The card comes with Priority Pass membership and six passes, as well as a comprehensive suite of travel insurance. Annual fee is $139. Sign-up bonus is 25,000 points (worth $250 as a statement credit on travel expenses) plus, @deedubb mentioned, $50 in cashback if you apply through greatcanadianrebates.ca

HSBC points are worth 0.5 cents each if redeemed as a statement credit for travel expenses. You can use your points once you've accumulated 25,000 points, and then only in increments of 10,000 points. The return is 3% on travel purchases (i.e., airline tickets, hotels, cruises, car rental, etc.) and 1.5% on everything else. The card comes with Boingo Wifi and a $100 "travel enhancement" credit, and the ability to convert your points to British Airways, Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific points, as well as a comprehensive suite of travel insurance. Annual fee is $149. Not sure what the sign-up bonus is now, but when I looked at the card it was 30,000 points (worth $150 as a statement credit on travel expenses).

They are both fantastic cards. It's a little tougher to redeem points with the HSBC card given you can only redeem starting at $125 and then in $50 increments after that. And, based on experience of others, HSBC is a pain to deal with if all you have is a credit card with them. (If you have other products with them, it's much better).

Thanks! It's so hard to sort them out sometimes. We'll likely be charging $25,000+ worth of travel expenses as well as using it for the no FOREX fee while doing a months travel in Europe this summer. @efrant, when I look at your post, it seems like in that case the HSBC would be a better return, or am I missing something?
Nope, you're not missing anything. For large travel purchases, you're much better off with the HSBC card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!