Canada Bans Large Cruise Ships Through October - DVC Member Cruise Will Cancel

I’m scheduled to go on one in October. I will be living dangerously..though I have a feeling it may be canceled. Most of the group wants to go so I said I’m fine either way!

Mine is in September, a three nighter, and I’m waiting a bit to decide. Pain in Full date is mid June. Yesterday I booked a DVC stay for the dates, so we have someplace to stay if we do decide against the cruise. By September, if the travel ban is not in effect for NJ to FL, we do want to take a trip.

IMHO, anyone that gets on a cruise in the next 2 years is just asking for trouble.
I guess I'm out looking for trouble. Who know, maybe it will find me first! :)

We don't have anything currently booked ... but are absolutely scanning the discounter websites looking for a great deal, on a good ship with good or better itinerary. We're looking first for a "go nowhere" cruise from our home port (where "the ship is the destination!") and then later for better itineraries if we can handle the changes to flying.

FWIW, I came home with Corona Virus last Dec. We booked a last minute cruise departing Rome, through the Suez canal, terminating in Dubai with 20 flight hours on the return (plus related time for arrival/check-in/security/transfer/customs/immigration/etc). Somewhere in all that (Italy, Cruise, Air travel?) I picked up the virus. Ok, that is behind me. When may I travel again, please?

You mean DVC has cancelled the cruise? Or just that you think they will have to?

Cruises have been known to change ports if they must.

You mean DVC has cancelled the cruise? Or just that you think they will have to?

Cruises have been known to change ports if they must.
While cruises do change ports there are no ports to switch to for alaska cruises. DCL already explored port options When Canada first banned cruises through July. So unless they switch the entire itinerary they will have to cancel

While cruises do change ports there are no ports to switch to for alaska cruises. DCL already explored port options When Canada first banned cruises through July. So unless they switch the entire itinerary they will have to cancel
The ban also includes Canadian waters. It eliminates the entire inside passage.

The Wonder is currently headed to Ensenada. Rumor is it is taking crew home and then doing the PC to join the Fantasy and Dream in PC.

The ban also includes Canadian waters. It eliminates the entire inside passage.

The Wonder is currently headed to Ensenada. Rumor is it is taking crew home and then doing the PC to join the Fantasy and Dream in PC.

I would think it would be able to stay in international waters until it gets back to American waters and the Inside Passage by Ketchikan. Isn't the big problem the antiquated law about having to dock in another country at some point.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7001865/coronavirus-large-cruise-ships-banned-until-oct-31/
This means the Wonder can't embark or disembark in Vancouver, which means even if DCL is sailing by late August, this cruise is physically impossible to run.

Maybe they could change the embarkation/disembarkation port to Seattle? All the ports of call on the cruise are in Alaska. And although the article states large ships aren't permitted in "Canadian waters", does that really mean that ships couldn't sail the inside passage between Vancouver Island and the Mainland, as these cruises normally do??

I would think it would be able to stay in international waters until it gets back to American waters and the Inside Passage by Ketchikan. Isn't the big problem the antiquated law about having to dock in another country at some point.

Register the ships in the U.S., then the law requiring a foreign port doesn't apply ;)

Maybe they could change the embarkation/disembarkation port to Seattle? All the ports of call on the cruise are in Alaska.

Because the ships are not registered in the US, a closed loop US-port-only sailing is illegal.

And although the article states large ships aren't permitted in "Canadian waters", does that really mean that ships couldn't sail the inside passage between Vancouver Island and the Mainland, as these cruises normally do??

Yes, that really means that.

Register the ships in the U.S., then the law requiring a foreign port doesn't apply

But US rules for employment will apply, and it would completely change how DCL staffs their ships. So it's not a quick fix.

Yes. And certain could get suspended during this time if anybody felt it were worthwhile to make happen.

Does this ruling apply to a smaller Viking ocean ship that cruises from Montreal to New York in early October?

The MC was to be on the Wonder.

I wonder if any cruising will happen this year. I think the dining rooms are a stumbling block for cruise lines. There’s not enough room for plexiglass partitions as some state side restaurants are doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter